Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-19-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 87 325i
is there any way to fix it

2003 540i bought the car as a theft recovery with the computer under the glove box missing. bought a new computer from the BMW dealer and they installed it but not much works it will default start by holding the key in the start position for several seconds and it drives and shifts great. however no windows, no speedo,no tach, no dash, no nav screen,no climate control, no radio, . Dealer say they cannot fix it without access to the old computer. local independent BMW shop tried but gave up. the air bag warning light is always on even when the key is removed and the battery will slowly drain if left connected
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
The General Module is behind the GB, is that what you are talking about?
Was it coded?
The engine computer is the DME and under the hood.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Are you looking to fix this yourself, or looking for someone who can do it?

Dealers simply don't want to futz with boogered-up cars. Your best bet is to find a savvy BMW indie.

Although, I'm surprised that, since they sold you the part, they have not taken responsibility to make it work.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 PM

it must be the general module that was replaced and I assume it was not coded as the dealer rep said he needed to original unit to transfer the data to the new unit. i have exhausted the local indie and he said it was a can bus issue so i am forced to try to fix it myself i am open to any suggestions
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM

what would cause a failure of almost all the systems, when the key is turned on to start nothing happens for several seconds then it cranks and starts, throttle response is OK, center lcd display is mostly blank with six or so small unreadable characters in the upper left corner. temp gauge goes immediately to max, no tach reading, fuel gauge inconsistent. no readings in center console. radio in-op, no a/c or heat, windows will not open, presently in closed position. car drives ok but no speedometer, no head lights. Interior lights ok could it be that the dealer installed an uncoded general module at $500 plus labor. should i try a used general module from a 540
Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
The General Module MUST be coded to the car. Good Luck.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM

today i removed the general control module and without the module the car operates the same. i am going to see if i can find a used module.