Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-13-2014, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: Subaru Impreza "14
Just curious

I was wondering if anyone has read (grazed thru or in full) all the 1342 pages in the E46 forum. I am on my 33rd page and hope to finish in my remaining lifetime!
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Retired USAF MSgt

Send a message via MSN to RivMcLean
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci, 87 Toyota PU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittal's View Post
I was wondering if anyone has read (grazed thru or in full) all the 1342 pages in the E46 forum. I am on my 33rd page and hope to finish in my remaining lifetime!
Not me, not enough pictures actually there is so much OTHER off topic and fun stuff it will keep you entertained for a very long time and please read the Wiki!
Moreno Valley, CA
Old 12-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Well, if the search functions were good enough, you could eliminate the threads on correct gasoline octane, manual transmission versus auto transmission, ZHP goodness, water pump and cooling system, and a couple others, and be done this year.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto:
I have allot of down time at my job and I literally spends hours every day just looking and reading and adding input on people's discussions on here I love this forum.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Yeah, dude, you can waste a lot of time here, LOL. But it can be a pretty valuable waste of time most of the time..... and there are worse ways to blow your free time, i suppose. I've spent hours myself researching issues that I don't even have yet but they piqued my curiosity and I figured I'd save links once I found something useful. Ever since I was sitting at the BMW dealership waiting for my car to finish the final free maintenance service and overheard some other poor schmuck getting the news that, among other things, his secondary air pump had crapped the bed and it was going to be something like $700 for them to fix it. "blah blah blah yeah unfortunately they let moisture build up inside the pump/motor and they eventually seize the motor." (which I now believe to be a load of crap, but it was on a 5 or 7 series so could be) after that I was determined to learn as much about my 330 as I could to avoid such dealer-buggery.

PS -- Be sure to check out the boobfest (NWS) threads out there.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 12-13-2014, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto:
Yeah I went to the stealer a few weeks ago for an alignment and while waiting over heard what other people were paying to fix the easiest things was crazy I looked at my girl friend and said if I was mechanic my dumb I couldn't afford this car
Old 12-14-2014, 01:14 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsean123 View Post
I looked at my girl friend and said if I was mechanic my dumb I couldn't afford this car
Great, 'cause now I know you aren't going to make your living as an English Professor!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:20 AM

Well, GoForthFast, I certainly don't have the grammar skills to be the English Professor, however, I want to be at least in theory knowledgeable like FastBob, Ahull, Bluebee. I am going to Sears today to pick up a Torx wench to tighten the middle hinge on the driver's side that has come loose. It is making clicking noise. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsean123 View Post
Yeah I went to the stealer a few weeks ago for an alignment and while waiting over heard what other people were paying to fix the easiest things was crazy I looked at my girl friend and said if I was mechanic my dumb I couldn't afford this car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Great, 'cause now I know you aren't going to make your living as an English Professor!
Haha yeah I was like wtf is he trying to say there. We know whatca mean though, Sean.... i think.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Well, GoForthFast, I certainly don't have the grammar skills to be the English Professor, however, I want to be at least in theory knowledgeable like FastBob, Ahull, Bluebee. I am going to Sears today to pick up a Torx wench to tighten the middle hinge on the driver's side that has come loose. It is making clicking noise. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else.
Never happened to me nor heard of this, but if you have loose sh!t in there tighten up for sure. It may be an external torx. Either way, there are lots of uses for torx bits so you may want to pick up a set..... IIRC size 8-50 is a good range. "External" torx (protruding head vs. recessed) bits are also used in a variety of places so good chance you'll use it more than once. Steering giubo, tm to engine bolts, rear axle bolts, etc.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:04 AM

It definitely an external torx Ahull, pictured in the link shown below.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ion/ES2535994/
Old 12-14-2014, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Spell check hits again!!! I meant " if I was not mechanically inclined I couldn't afford to own a bmw"
Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325 XI
Well said Big Sean! I make my living with my wrenches, and so far have not found the car so difficult to work on. The forum is the bomb! There are some very helpful people here. I bought parts and service cd's for like $12 on line, and have just ordered a Bently's for my e-46.