Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '12 ML350 BlueTec
Question Has ne1 taken apart the e39... (m)

sunvisors or know the inner workings (pics?), esp the mirror door, switching for the light above the mirror, and what material is inside the visor?
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon528
sunvisors or know the inner workings (pics?), esp the mirror door, switching for the light above the mirror, and what material is inside the visor?
Shon,

Do you have a specific question or task in mind? I think we might be able to address your needs better that way.

I am familiar with everything you are asking about.

Chris
Old 10-16-2003, 08:21 AM

Here's the deal, I'm in the process of installing a DVD player w/ TV tuner in the car. It's going either in the rear center armrest provided it can play upright and there's no issues w/ heat, otherwise just in the front passenger footwell area, and in either location, a remote sensor eye on the dash next to the fog light switch where the mic for the phone is. Sound through the headunit using the Blitzsafe adaptor w/ aux input. Then also 5.6" screens in the visors (headrest screens don't interest me). I still wanted to have a mirror and light along w/ the screen. My 1st idea is to cut off the strap on the visor, take the door off that slides over the mirror, and put the screen in the area where the door slides into along w/ a small switch to still turn the light on and off. If I can't do that, then I'll just go w/ a screen by Farenheit that also has a mirror and light all in one unit.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:54 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon528
Here's the deal, I'm in the process of installing a DVD player w/ TV tuner in the car. It's going either in the rear center armrest provided it can play upright and there's no issues w/ heat, otherwise just in the front passenger footwell area, and in either location, a remote sensor eye on the dash next to the fog light switch where the mic for the phone is. Sound through the headunit using the Blitzsafe adaptor w/ aux input. Then also 5.6" screens in the visors (headrest screens don't interest me). I still wanted to have a mirror and light along w/ the screen. My 1st idea is to cut off the strap on the visor, take the door off that slides over the mirror, and put the screen in the area where the door slides into along w/ a small switch to still turn the light on and off. If I can't do that, then I'll just go w/ a screen by Farenheit that also has a mirror and light all in one unit.
"I see!" said the blind king.

Okay, I have not ever "torn into" one of our sun visors but if you are interested, I still have my old, original 'leatherette' sun visors. I replaced them with the nicer cloth ones the V8 E39s normally get (it seems the I6 cars get the crappy vinyl sun visors). Maybe we could work a deal and you could have a set of visors to play with? PM me about this and we'll chat further.

If you want to purchase a brand new set of cloth (no warning sticker) visors, here are your part numbers:

51 16 8 242 541
51 16 8 242 542

These are grey. Cost should be about $55-60 each. I am unclear if you can get these here in the US but I might be able to get them from Germany.

Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 08:08 AM

Thx for the offer, much appreciated. However, I'm just going to go w/ the screens that have the mirror and light built in. Doesn't look like my original is going to work.