Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 Cosmos/Shwartz 840Ci
E31 spark plugs holes have oil in them

Hi-
I went to change spark plugs in my '97 840Ci and noticed all the plug holes have oil in them. I guess I need to change the valve cover gaskets and?
does anyone know of a decent writeup, preferably with pics, of the procedure for replacing the gaskets, what gaskets are needed and a good source?
I have seen write ups for many other DIY progects on the M62 E31 and they make the job so much easier.
Thanks
Rick
Ads by Google
Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 635 CSi BMW 730i E38
Oil in the spark plug holes is a common problem and it's due to the rubber gaskets which sits around the spark plug holes leaking oil and it must be fixed as oil will cause the spark plugs to mis fire, You must remove the cam covers to gain access to these gaskets, Replacing the cam covers can be a pig to do it and the only way to do it is to undo the lower engine mounting bolts and place a trolley jack underneath the engine with a piece of wood between the jack & the sump and then slowly jack up the engine until the cam covers will drop into place over the heads without dislodging the gaskets. Some people recommend glueing the cam cover gaskets to the cam covers before lowering them into place but I prefer to place the gaskets on the heads and then lower the cam covers very very carefully onto the heads making SURE that you do not dislodge the rear half moon shaped part of the cover gasket. Then tighten all the cover bolts and then lower the engine and tighten the engine mounting bolts. It is always worth dropping the lower sump and checking that the oil pump bolts are tight as these can work loose which can cause a lack of oil pressure.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Sick Puppy Motorwerks

Mein Auto: BMW 850Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETER NEWMAN View Post
Oil in the spark plug holes is a common problem and it's due to the rubber gaskets which sits around the spark plug holes leaking oil and it must be fixed as oil will cause the spark plugs to mis fire, You must remove the cam covers to gain access to these gaskets, Replacing the cam covers can be a pig to do it and the only way to do it is to undo the lower engine mounting bolts and place a trolley jack underneath the engine with a piece of wood between the jack & the sump and then slowly jack up the engine until the cam covers will drop into place over the heads without dislodging the gaskets. Some people recommend glueing the cam cover gaskets to the cam covers before lowering them into place but I prefer to place the gaskets on the heads and then lower the cam covers very very carefully onto the heads making SURE that you do not dislodge the rear half moon shaped part of the cover gasket. Then tighten all the cover bolts and then lower the engine and tighten the engine mounting bolts. It is always worth dropping the lower sump and checking that the oil pump bolts are tight as these can work loose which can cause a lack of oil pressure.
Boy am I glad I have an 850! No trolley jack required to remove the valve covers on the V12...

White 1993 850Ci - 251,187 miles
Black 1993 850Ci - 125,508 miles