Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM
red hot 330i

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330I
X6 loaner had a huge scratch on it!

I have no clue what todo, I was coming to the garage very slowly and tapped the trash can...there is a huge white scrap above the reflector...a little bit of it came off, but i need something to get the rest off

1. I've heard sharpie?
2. Buffer(but i dont have one)
3. Heard scratch it off, but it will take to long

UPDATE: I got as much off at I could, but there is still parts where the paint chipped...what should i do?

Last edited by davidbimmerman; 02-27-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-16-2010, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330CIC
looks like you did more then "tap" the trash can.. and they actually have an x6 loaner? sweeeeet!

ok on to your actual problem... you can try and get some meguiars polish and hand polish it out if in fact it is light scratches, but you most likely will require a orbital polisher... maybe you can rent one if you dont want to purchase one.

GL
Old 02-16-2010, 02:05 PM
red hot 330i

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330I
Yea i know it looks pretty bad!! and yes they really like me up at my dealership and they saved it for me. Now i have another problem...what do i do about the part where the paint actually came off?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbimmerman View Post
Yea i know it looks pretty bad!! and yes they really like me up at my dealership and they saved it for me. Now i have another problem...what do i do about the part where the paint actually came off?
I have a great idea... pay for it to be fixed?

There is nothing that you can do short of repainting the bumper if the paint has already come off.

I would say to think about getting insurance involved, but the cost to fix this is likely much less than your deductible so its not worth it.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 02-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbimmerman View Post
I have no clue what todo, I was coming to the garage very slowly and tapped the trash can...there is a huge white scrap above the reflector...a little bit of it came off, but i need something to get the rest of or cover it up

1. I've heard sharpie?
2. Buffer(but i dont have one)
3. Heard scratch it off, but it will take to long

UPDATE: I got as much off at I could, but there is still parts where the paint chipped...what should i do?
Don't drive the X6 into the service bay. Park in the customer parking area as normal. Return keys to rental counter.

The service drivers wreck cars all the time. They will most likely think nothing of it.

I has a 3 series wagon loaner a few months ago. Door dings galore, cracked windshield, scrathed interior, etc.

Even if you gave the dealer money to fix the damage they would not bother. It is a loaner afterall.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpySD View Post
Don't drive the X6 into the service bay. Park in the customer parking area as normal. Return keys to rental counter.

The service drivers wreck cars all the time. They will most likely think nothing of it.

I has a 3 series wagon loaner a few months ago. Door dings galore, cracked windshield, scrathed interior, etc.

Even if you gave the dealer money to fix the damage they would not bother. It is a loaner afterall.

Oh here we go again. Nice to see that everyone is honest.

What would you do if the service driver did this to your car while it was in for service next time and just hoped you didn't notice?

They might not actually fix it right now, but before they resell it they'll have to pay to fix it. It might only be one repair as far as the OP is concerned, but when the dealer has to pay for all of these repairs out of their pocket on loaner cars eventually the cost gets passed along to all of us... higher labor rates, higher parts prices, and the dealer will get rid of any decent loaner cars in favor of the cheapest BMW (or worse, rentals) that they can put in their fleet.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: lexus
dude, just tell them what happened and they will probably do right by you
you did say they like you over there at the dealership and that they saved it for you
this is what they get in return?
btw. that was no tap.
i can't believe the lack of honesty of some people.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645; 911TT; Maserati
1). Shoe polish

2). Black charcoal grill spray paint

3). Park it on the side of the road about a block away and say it just stalled and you couldn't get it re-started. Then toss them the keys and run.

4). If you do tell them what really happened, make sure you say you were going very slowly and just "tapped" the trash can.

5). I'm curious.....how old are you?
BMW X6 M (Alpine White, with Sakhir Orange interior)
Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (Grigio Touring Silver, with Black/Light Gray interior)
Mercedes SL500 (Pewter, with Charcoal Gray interior)
Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
just lurking -- but I have to say. Tell the truth. You'll feel better about yourself and be amazed how nice other people treat you when youre honest.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
I'd fess up !

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Silentelysium
Mein Auto: 2008 E93 335i
Lying would make you a slimeball. Buff what you can out (I bought a buffer for 50 bucks at Kragen once) and return it. Tell them what happened and see what goes down.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6 50i
Seriously. Tell the truth. I can't believe you're on here asking for an accomplice to your cover up. Always best to take responsibility. Even if they tell you to pay for the damage, it doesn't look like it would cost an arm and a leg to fix. Unless you got the loaner from Guido of course. If that's the case, the arm or leg would be the least of your worries.

Last edited by REInvestor; 02-25-2010 at 07:09 PM.