Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-12-2011, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i sport package
ohio results- by comparison- quite simplistic

Ohio echeck results to the letter

tampering-pass
On board diagnostics - fail
Evaporative system - pass
final result - fail

Tampering:
Catalytic converter - present
Presence of gas cap - present

Evaporative System: Pressurization of Gas cap - Reading 27.50 in H2O- limit 6.00 - pass

MIL Engine off - pass
MIL engine on - fail
DLC tampering - pass
Readiness status - pass
MIL cmd status - fail

TR Number: 1
DTC:
P0133 O2 sensor circuit slow response (Bank 1

Can anyone translate this for me and does it help me identify which sensor it is??

Thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
It would be interesting to post state smog emission test results for our E39s (for comparison among us).

Who know what we'll learn from this ... I'll start.

Below are my emissions test results (long story here) on my 2002 E39.

What I learned is that it makes NO difference (for emissions tests) whether you use 87AKI or 91AKI California-specific fuel (actually, the 91AKI results are slightly worse but not statistically so).

Old 02-12-2011, 06:04 AM

cause of air bag light to come on - bag never deployed - no accidents

has anyone experienced this phenomenon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight51 View Post

tampering-pass
On board diagnostics - fail
Evaporative system - pass
final result - fail

Tampering:
Catalytic converter - present
Presence of gas cap - present

Evaporative System: Pressurization of Gas cap - Reading 27.50 in H2O- limit 6.00 - pass

MIL Engine off - pass
MIL engine on - fail
DLC tampering - pass
Readiness status - pass
MIL cmd status - fail

TR Number: 1
DTC:
P0133 O2 sensor circuit slow response (Bank 1

Can anyone translate this for me and does it help me identify which sensor it is??

Thanks for your help
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
The emissions test in Ohio doesn't show emissions levels?

Quote:
That's off topic for this thread - but a perfectly good thread to open up separately.

Quote:
cause of air bag light to come on - bag never deployed - no accidents ... has anyone experienced this phenomenon?
Wrong thread for that. But the situation has occurred a thousand times. Or more. I won't answer it here (as it's OT) but the answer is in the VERY best of E39 Links already anyway. Just spend a few seconds by doing "control f" for "airbag" and hit "f3" to your heart's content. You'll find what you need.

As for the emissions ... I'm flabbergasted if Ohio has an emissions test where they don't give you your emissions results. Are you SURE that's how Ohio works?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Offtopic indeed. You need to replace O2 sensor bank 1 precat. Replace them both, they have roughly the same lifetime. http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...TC_P0133_NEW_2
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
2000 528i e39

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Here is my failed Texas Emissions and Safety Inspection report. This test was done on 2/8/2011. The codes had been cleared and car was in not ready state. Have to fix issues and return to have it reinspected and will post new inspection report once it passes.

Last edited by fhs2000; 02-12-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhs2000 View Post
Here is my failed Texas Emissions and Safety Inspection report.
Thanks for posting that. One thing is very clear, each state is "vastly" different when it comes to emissions.

Looking forward to the PASS (as are we all).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user224719_pic18255_1297539511.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	266291  
Old 02-12-2011, 02:53 PM

the echeck message reads:
TR Number : 1
DTC:
P0133 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1

Ohio echeck seems to be quite mickey mouse compared to what you folks have posted.
I wonder if the final printout after I correct the problem will be more robust.
The test only comprised of them hooking up to the computer and that's it.
I was shocked at the simplicity - a total waste of taxpayer money and there is no charge.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
2000 528i e39

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Attached is Inspection fail and pass printouts. We don't get the detailed emissions printout in Texas. It's mostly just pass or fail here.

To get it passed I replaced spark plugs(NGK 7602 single electrode platinum $2.99 each at Advanced auto. They work great), fuel filter, air filter, cleaned ICV valve and throttle body, repaired ICV air intake elbow with electrical tape(until new one arrives), cleaned DISA valve and area in intake where it seals and greased o-ring to give it a better seal(ending up replacing o-ring after inspections).

Then I had codes cleared and test drove 100+ miles and CEL stayed off. Took it back to inspector and it passed inspection and I got my sticker...finally! lol

This is the thread of the ongoing saga> http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=519362
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inspection fail.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	266807   Click image for larger version

Name:	inspection pass.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	266808  
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
some places do actual emissions, and some do so called emissions, like here, they hook it up to the obdii port, and wait to make sure no codes are set and the light is off. as long as it is off and no the car is in the emissions range.
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lild View Post
some places do actual emissions, and some do so called emissions.
And some, like California, put 'em on a dyno while others, e.g., NJ (at least when I visited friends there) make you get out of the car as they drive it on manometers to check the equalization of the brakes - and they lift the car up to check the ball joints (among other things).
Old 03-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Here's mine. I used 87 Chevron.

Untitled-1
Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i
My results from earlier today on shell 91 octane:

Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: e39 525i
This is after I had trouble with misfire and lean mix codes. Steps I took to pass are on this thread. Here are the results I got, and I'm about 90% sure I still have a bad disa valve, gonna check it out this evening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	emissions.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	284120  
Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveroo77 View Post
I'm about 90% sure I still have a bad disa valve, gonna check it out this evening.
There's a Fudman group buy going on for DISA valves, if you're interested:
- DISA Valve Pricing - Group Buy - Do we have 20?

In addition, this forum shows E39 smog numbers by way of comparison:
- BMWdiy.INFO E39 Smog Survey

Quote:
BACKGROUND: Some non-VANOS (1997-1998) 540i E39's are having difficulties passing the new California "Enhanced" Smog Check II system which uses rollers like a dyno, plugs into the OBDII port, checks for fuel cap leaks, etc. Although I'm unsure as to what the root causes might be, I can report that my smog check mechanic noted the exact same thing and specifically with late-model BMW's. The culprit seems to be the new "NO" or "NOx" test for Nitrogen, measured in parts per million (PPM). As you can see below, the measurements vary greatly on non-VANOS cars. When more VANOS data is collected, we'll see if there's any real correlation. This survey and information contained within deals primarily with California-related smog issues and advice, but might benefit others as well.
A few notes and tips:
  • Try to have your catalytic converter as hot as possible prior to beginning the test. Letting your cats cool lowers their efficiency, thereby increasing your NO (PPM) output.
  • Federal law mandates that emissions-related systems such as the OEM catalytic converters be covered for 8yrs/80K mi. If you fail smog using your OEM cats, it's worth seeing if the dealer will replace them within this warranty period.
  • In California, all emissions-related systems on your car must be CARB-certified. That means even minor mods such as Cold Air Intakes might raise an eyebrow during the visual inspection phase. Some other mods that might be questioned? Mufflers, aftermarket cats, custom headers, forced induction devices, etc.
  • Cats loose their efficiency as they age. I had what sounded like loose metal parts in one of my cats so the dealer replaced it under CPO. If you hear the same, it's best to get it inspected.
  • "Tether" reported the following on Roadfly.com, "The NOx is normally higher when the combustion temps are higher in the cylinder. This is normally caused by advanced timing, which is normally attributed to a modified or damaged O2 sensor or also a bad catalytic converter. I would have your cats checked out."
  • "Jim Cash" wrote the following on Roadfly.com, "The Nitrogen Oxide emissions come from running a lean burn engine. This is good in that it lowers CO emissions but can cause the NO issue in the higher temperatures of a lean mixture operation. The Cats are there to clean up the NO issue - so you may be dealing with an aging cat. When going for an emissions test it is best to do a good run (10-15 miles) and during that time do some heavy acceleration if possible. Doing some "booting under load" just before you pull in for your test will also help heat up the cats (lots of snap-crackle-pop sounds when you shut off."
  • Possible fixes that have been suggested so far are running fuel injector cleaner or CRC Guaranteed To PassŪ Emissions Test Formula, replacing the O2 sensors, replacing the cat, checking/replacing the valve cover gasket, and replacing the PVC valve.
Please e-mail me your smog results regardless of passing or failing so failure trends and repairs can be identified. Be sure to submit info as formatted below with year, model, mileage, test date, emissions-related mods, etc listed.
Here is a snapshot of a portion of those results to compare with those we found above:

etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smog_test.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	295028  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW E39 Smog Survey.pdf (140.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525I
Here's my results -

Photobucket

Reviewed some of the results on this thread and they really all come up about the same. This is for an 03 525I. Apparently, state of CA considers this vehicle a little old now since my smog notice required that I take it to a Test Only or Gold Certified Station.

Anyway, I am relieved that it passed since I did buy the car secondhand and the previous original owner did do some Dinan tuning on it, such as exhaust, intake and ECU. Also, this was on mid-grade gas, mobil 1 0w-40 oil (not changed and due), OEM plugs (not changed for about 40K and 2 years), and chevron techron fuel additive.
- 2003 525I Sedan - Manual Tranny, M-tech Bumpers Front/Rear, shadowline, M5 Mirrors, 19" Miro 279's, NNR Coilovers, Front lip, 50% tint, Dinan ECU Stage II, Dinan CAI, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, DICE Ipod, Connects2/Parrot Bluetooth, SSK Kit, AC Schnitzer Shift Knob, CDV Delete,
- 2008 R350 Mercedes Wagon
- 1998 M3 Coupe - Manual Tranny, completely stock

Last edited by aa240sx; 10-06-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa240sx View Post
Here's my results
Thanks for posting that as it serves as a useful reference for anyone in the future who fails their smog test.

Quote:
Reviewed some of the results on this thread and they really all come up about the same.
It's surprising that most of the California cars are pretty darn close to zero for emissions!

Quote:
Apparently, state of CA considers this vehicle a little old now since my smog notice required that I take it to a Test Only or Gold Certified Station
Actually, California, apparently is supremely lazy, inept, or corrupt (pick one). That's why you have to go to an 'test only' station (thanks to the lobbyist's efforts).

Here's what they do:

Every year, the state randomly select a huge percentage of cars (enough to keep the test-only shops in business) for 'test-only' stickers.

Those lucky to have been selected, can not go to just any smog-inspection station. Nope. They have to go to a test-only station.

Now, the test-only station knows you are limited to only going to places like his. So, what does he do? He jacks up the price for the same task. Maybe it's double; I've seen it triple and quadruple the cost. The best you'll get away with (up here in San Jose, anyway) is about double.

What do 'you' get for double your money? Absolutely nothing different. (It goes to show, you never get what you pay for; you just get what you get. Anyone who says that you get what you pay for is an outright idiot.)

Now, what does "California" get out of this? Statistics. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Instead of doing what everyone else does for statistics, California forces them out of you. At double to quadruple the price.

That is, they're either too lazy, too inept, or too corrupt to simply run their own statistics to see if inspection stations are cheating.

Yet another example of the styupid California voter allowing this to happen day after day after day. Sigh.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525I
bluebee - your singing my song man. i've always gone to the same smog station and they typically charge around 30 bucks OTD. When I started calling around to the 'Test Only' stations I received smog quotes from 50-70 bucks. Anyway, I got lucky and found a place for 42 OTD. If you're in SD and are required to go to 'test only' shop, check out smog clinic on clairemont mesa.
- 2003 525I Sedan - Manual Tranny, M-tech Bumpers Front/Rear, shadowline, M5 Mirrors, 19" Miro 279's, NNR Coilovers, Front lip, 50% tint, Dinan ECU Stage II, Dinan CAI, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, DICE Ipod, Connects2/Parrot Bluetooth, SSK Kit, AC Schnitzer Shift Knob, CDV Delete,
- 2008 R350 Mercedes Wagon
- 1998 M3 Coupe - Manual Tranny, completely stock

Old 10-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
bluebee - your singing my song
I don't know how we survive in California, the state where people like Joe Simitian regulate everything down to what we hold in our hands while we're riding a bicycle down the street!

As for smog results, another Californian checked in today from over here:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Smog failed due to sensors not ready

Which I'll put into this template form for the team to benefit more easily:

--------------------------------------
- Location (login), year model, comments
HYDROCARBONS:
- 15mph (xxxx rpm): login: 0 ppm (limit = 52 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), comments, PASS
- 25mph (yyyy rpm): login: 0 ppm (limit = 36 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), comments, PASS
Carbon Monoxide:
- 15mph (xxxx rpm): login: 0.00% (limit = 0.49%, avg = 0.01%), comments, PASS
- 25mph (yyyy rpm): login: 0.00% (limit = 0.46%, avg = 0.01%), comments, PASS
Nitrogen Oxides:
- 15mph (xxxx rpm): login: 21 ppm (limit = 424 ppm, avg = 16 ppm), comments, PASS
- 25mph (yyyy rpm): login: 25 ppm (limit = 711 ppm, avg = 18 ppm), comments, PASS
Carbon Dioxide:
- 15mph (xxxx rpm): login: 15.0% (no limit provided), comments
- 25mph (yyyy rpm): login: 15.0% (no limit provided), comments
Oxygen:
- 15mph (xxxx rpm): login: 0.0% (no limit provided), comments
- 25mph (yyyy rpm): login: 0.0% (no limit provided), comments
Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 PM

OK. Here are his northern California results only a few miles from where I took mine for tests (his results are similar to mine, he's a 2003 525iT, I'm a 2002 525i except his nitrogen oxides are really really low!).

- Northern California (agusrunning), 2003, 525iT, 79K miles, new O2 sensors & MAF
HYDROCARBONS:
- 15mph (1918 rpm): agusrunning: 6 ppm (limit = 49 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 79K miles, new O2 sensors, PASS
- 25mph (1297 rpm): agusrunning: 5 ppm (limit = 33 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 79K miles, new O2 sensors, PASS
Carbon Monoxide:
- 15mph (1918 rpm): agusrunning: 0.00% (limit = 0.47%, avg = 0.01%), 79K miles, new O2 sensors, PASS
- 25mph (1297 rpm): agusrunning: 0.00% (limit = 0.44%, avg = 0.01%), 79K miles, new O2 sensors, PASS
Nitrogen Oxides:
- 15mph (1918 rpm): agusrunning: 0 ppm (limit = 409 ppm, avg = 16 ppm), really low!, PASS
- 25mph (1297 rpm): agusrunning: 0 ppm (limit = 696 ppm, avg = 18 ppm), really low!, PASS
Carbon Dioxide:
- 15mph (1918 rpm): agusrunning: 15.2% (no limit provided), 79K miles, new O2 sensors
- 25mph (1297 rpm): agusrunning: 15.2% (no limit provided), 79K miles, new O2 sensors
Oxygen:
- 15mph (1918 rpm): agusrunning: 0.0% (no limit provided), 79K miles, new O2 sensors
- 25mph (1297 rpm): agusrunning: 0.0% (no limit provided), 79K miles, new O2 sensors
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 PM

After fixing a dozen lean-condition misfire codes, here are my latest California smog emissions test results at an inspection-only station (the California government is so badly managed that they make you pay more every few years for your inspection just so they can watch over their inspection stations instead of actually watching over their inspection stations).

Comparing old, to new (same vehicle) over time ...
- Northern California (bluebee), 2002 525i, 87 AKI (just after rebuilding the ABS control module)
- Northern California (bluebee), 2002 525i, 91 AKI (after clearing P0500 code & driving for two weeks)
- Northern California (bluebee), 2002 525i, 87 AKI (two years later)
HYDROCARBONS:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0 ppm (limit = 52 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 9 ppm (limit = 52 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 2 ppm (limit = 51 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), test results two years later, PASS

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0 ppm (limit = 36 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 2 ppm (limit = 36 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 2 ppm (limit = 35 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), test results two years later, PASS
Carbon Monoxide:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0.00% (limit = 0.49%, avg = 0.01%), 87AKI, PASS
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 0.01% (limit = 0.49%, avg = 0.01%), 97AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 0.01% (limit = 0.48%, avg = 0.01%), test results two years later, PASS

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0.00% (limit = 0.46%, avg = 0.01%), 87AKI, PASS
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 0.01% (limit = 0.46%, avg = 0.01%), 97AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 0.01% (limit = 0.46%, avg = 0.01%), test results two years later, PASS
Nitrogen Oxides:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 21 ppm (limit = 424 ppm, avg = 16 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 53 ppm (limit = 424 ppm, avg = 16 ppm), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 56 ppm (limit = 419 ppm, avg = 27 ppm), test results two years later, PASS

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 25 ppm (limit = 711 ppm, avg = 18 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 63 ppm (limit = 711 ppm, avg = 18 ppm), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 285 ppm (limit = 706 ppm, avg = 26 ppm), test results two years later, PASS
Carbon Dioxide:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 15.0% (no limit provided), 87AKI
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 15.1% (no limit provided), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI)
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 14.8% (no limit provided), test results two years later

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 15.0% (no limit provided), 87AKI
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 15.1% (no limit provided), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI)
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 14.9% (no limit provided), test results two years later
Oxygen:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), 87AKI
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), 91AKI
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), test results two years later

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), 87AKI
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), 91AKI
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), test results two years later

Interestingly, over the two years, only the nitrogen oxides jumped appreciably. But why?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ca_smog.jpg
Views:	7359
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	328356  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 PM

Looks like that Ca smog test above will be my last on my E39!
- New California emission law - OBDII testing only - No more tail pipe sniffer
Quote:

AB 2289 - OBDII testing only - No more tail pipe sniffer starting 1/1/2013 in CA

Chaptered Bill text link : AB 2289 Assembly Bill - CHAPTERED

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.
Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.

AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Bluebee,
You still get a smog check, but instead of a "tail pipe" emissions test, they are simply going to plug into your OBDII port and look for active codes. CA is finally doing what many other states have been doing for years. WA State went to this at least 3 or 4 years ago, and applies it to all OBDII compliant cars, meaning from 1996 production. It is much easier to administer and faster as well. Strange that CA is using the 2000 year as the cut off point.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
You still get a smog check
Good point. Yes. They just won't do the emissions report like the one I posted above.

I wonder what that will do to the price since they charge about $50 (give or take) for the complete test (including the so-called certificate which is nothing but an additional California tax).

Interestingly, when you get a 'smog only' inspection, they do the EXACT same test, but, since you can only go to smog-only stations, they actually charge you EXTRA (because they got you!).

That gouging is perfectly legal in California. In fact, a friend of mine went to a station that does any car, smog only or not, (they just can't fix 'em), and right there on the bill is the extra charge for the 'smog only' test - which is nothing more than a requirement from California - but - since it's a mandate - they get to gouge you for whatever they can.

I'm beginning to hate the laws of this state because they make no sense and don't even seem to be 'legal' (like the age-old smog impact fee, which California had to repeal and give everyone their money back, with interest.

All California cares about is taking money from us.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: -02 530 & -92 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

Interestingly, over the two years, only the nitrogen oxides jumped appreciably. But why?
bluebee, have you ever done the Beisan VANOS seals?

I believe your climbing NOx values are due to the VANOS no longer being able to fully advance the intake cam for EGR. BMW engines uses internal EGR to 'recycle' exhaust gas up in the intake port and back in to the cylinder on the next combustion stroke in order to reduce NOx emissions under low load.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granlund View Post
I believe your climbing NOx values are due to the VANOS no longer being able to fully advance the intake cam for EGR.
Now 'that' is an interesting proposition!

No, I have never done my VANOS seals.
They are the originals, from 2002.

I once opened a thread asking HOW one would know that their VANOS seals are kaput, and the answer, while varied, came back as uncertain at best.
- What is a reliable & easy-to-perform DIY objective before/after test of VANOS seals?

Interestingly, if a rising NOx result over time is indicative of worn VANOS seals, then that would be a useful diagnostic aid!
Quote:
Nitrogen Oxides:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 21 ppm (limit = 424 ppm, avg = 16 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 53 ppm (limit = 424 ppm, avg = 16 ppm), 91AKI (two weeks later), PASS
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 56 ppm (limit = 419 ppm, avg = 27 ppm), 87 AKI (two years later), PASS

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 25 ppm (limit = 711 ppm, avg = 18 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 63 ppm (limit = 711 ppm, avg = 18 ppm), 91AKI (two weeks later), PASS
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 285 ppm (limit = 706 ppm, avg = 26 ppm), 87 AKI (two years later), PASS

Last edited by bluebee; 07-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.