Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Angry my passenger side mirror doesnt follow my memory button?

ive noticed that after a while of letting my car sit (more then an hour or so), my passenger side mirrow is always in a different position then when i left it. so what i ussually do is move it to where i want it, and program it as my memory 1 button. so far ive had no luck, and it still is in a different position when i start it after many hours parked. does anyone have an idea as to what may be wrong, or how to fix this problem? is there a "reset" button somewhere for this??

'08 535i sports premium, black on black/black.
'72 fiat 500L orange on black
Ads by Google
Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Glory Glory!!

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTC-OFF View Post
ive noticed that after a while of letting my car sit (more then an hour or so), my passenger side mirrow is always in a different position then when i left it. so what i ussually do is move it to where i want it, and program it as my memory 1 button. so far ive had no luck, and it still is in a different position when i start it after many hours parked. does anyone have an idea as to what may be wrong, or how to fix this problem? is there a "reset" button somewhere for this??
Is the problem coming before or after you put the car in reverse and begin driving? I know for a fact that when the passenger side mirror angles down when backing up, once you put the car back into drive, the mirror does not hold the memory position.

RIP
2000 Toyota 4Runner
1997 Chevy Silverado
Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDvl33 View Post
Is the problem coming before or after you put the car in reverse and begin driving? I know for a fact that when the passenger side mirror angles down when backing up, once you put the car back into drive, the mirror does not hold the memory position.
no, its before i even start the car, idk why it happens but it just started recently. any ideas?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
My passenger mirror tends to not maintain its position. I actually had the dealer check it and got the "we can't duplicate the problem" speech.
Instead of using the mirror reposition switches every time I just hit the memory 1 button and it puts it where it should be every time. In other words, the memory is still there in the memory button, use it.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
My passenger mirror tends to not maintain its position. I actually had the dealer check it and got the "we can't duplicate the problem" speech.
Instead of using the mirror reposition switches every time I just hit the memory 1 button and it puts it where it should be every time. In other words, the memory is still there in the memory button, use it.

dj
yeah sometimes the memory button works, and at other times it moves the mirror in a position completely different as well.(usually up or down)

Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
Quote:
no, its before i even start the car, idk why it happens but it just started recently. any ideas?
*delete*
Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
haha, the 545i we have works everytime.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Glory Glory!!

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
haha, the 545i we have works everytime.
Ant, if you aren't going to contribute to the thread then don't post...

DTC - The one thing I have tried doing so my mirror position doesn't reset is putting the switch to move the mirror to the right (controlling the passenger side mirror). I know that sounds confusing, but with the switch over on the passenger side mirror will keep it from rotating down, and just might keep the mirror from moving.

RIP
2000 Toyota 4Runner
1997 Chevy Silverado
Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDvl33 View Post
Ant, if you aren't going to contribute to the thread then don't post...

DTC - The one thing I have tried doing so my mirror position doesn't reset is putting the switch to move the mirror to the right (controlling the passenger side mirror). I know that sounds confusing, but with the switch over on the passenger side mirror will keep it from rotating down, and just might keep the mirror from moving.
I forgot that. I do the same. My mirrors still move a little but as I said the memory button puts it back so it's no big thing for me.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 PM

There was a time when I was going reverse and the right mirror didn't aim down. I went forward and backward and still it didn't go down. It works now and been working but I don't know what I did to not make it go down.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
There was a time when I was going reverse and the right mirror didn't aim down. I went forward and backward and still it didn't go down. It works now and been working but I don't know what I did to not make it go down.
I could tell you but.....

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I could tell you but.....

dj
but?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi
Mine goes down more rarely than when it doesn't.
I find it more difficult to see anyway when it goes down, but when it does, it goes back up all the way when I put it on drive, so I have to adjust it down.
Somehow it's not a big deal to me.

What bothers me more is the blower fan abruptly switching to high then low when climate control is in auto... but that's for another thread.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
but?
But I don't want to.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
But I don't want to.

dj
lol
Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 AM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 SAV
Quote:
Try setting it where you want and toggle it back to the driver's side. Place in reverse and observe if it droops properly and returns when you switch to Park. Set your memory button and see how it goes afterward...

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 AM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 SAV
Quote:
But I don't want to.

dj
Damn... I think I just did.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 02-18-2010, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
This issue has previously been exhaustively discussed on this forum. Some have found the problem is corrected by having the dealer replace the motor for the passenger side mirror. There is an easier fix and that is to go into I-drive and disable the "remember individual settings" (or something close to that). I did it several years ago on my 2008 550i and it corrected the problem. It has stayed fixed ever since then. The downside is that the car doesn't remember your individual settings when you use your key fob. For me that isn't a problem since I'm the only person that generally drives the car and, if my wife drives it, we just have to press the memory buttons on the side of the seat for our individual settings. I can't remember the exact sequence for changing the I-drive setting but it is in a post on this forum. Search is your friend.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d & '07 328xi wagon
Could it be a key memory issue, have you been using different keys? Also, if you start the engine before the seat and mirrors finish moving to memory, they stop, after you start the engine you have to hold the memory button for it to continue. I hope this helps

SteveO
Old 02-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo90290 View Post
... you have to hold the memory button for it to continue. I hope this helps
SteveO
That's one complain I have.
Why do I have to hold the button down until it finishes?
One push should be enough.
When would there be a time that I would like to set it half way through my personal settings?
One more thing, why place those buttons where you can't see them?
I have to feel all three buttons to make sure I press the correct one everytime.
Oh well... minor things... all my complaints go away once I put it on drive and step on the gas and make that first turn.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530xiT, '85 FJ60
[QUOTE=kotseko;4950032]That's one complain I have.
Why do I have to hold the button down until it finishes?
One push should be enough.
When would there be a time that I would like to set it half way through my personal settings?
One more thing, why place those buttons where you can't see them?
QUOTE]

Likely a safety issue. Imagine you're 6'4", your wife is 5'2", your driving on a crowded highway, you accidentally hit her memory button. Your seat starts moving forward, farther and farther, you can't stop it, you can no longer steer, your legs are getting crushed...aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."I imagine that's what the lawyers imagine.

I agree. I love what the manual says, " Press the button:
The LED in the button lights up.
4. Press the desired memory button 1 or 2:
The LED goes out."

How in the world am I supposed to see the lights down there!?!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=AustinBear;4950235]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotseko View Post
That's one complain I have.
Likely a safety issue. Imagine you're 6'4", your wife is 5'2", your driving on a crowded highway, you accidentally hit her memory button. Your seat starts moving forward, farther and farther, you can't stop it, you can no longer steer, your legs are getting crushed...aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."I imagine that's what the lawyers imagine.
It should be disabled while the car is moving or when it's not on park. You don't change drivers while it's moving, right? Well... when I was young and stupid, we did it.

Another way to prevent that is to put it on the dash or door so it's more visible so you don't accidentally hit it. I'm comparing this to the Lexus RX300's memory seat buttons, which is our family car. So you can imagine how often my wife and I use that memory button. No complaints on the RX300's memory seat button design. BMW has it's own merits tho.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530xiT, '85 FJ60
[QUOTE=kotseko;4950311][QUOTE=AustinBear;4950235]

It should be disabled while the car is moving or when it's not on park. You don't change drivers while it's moving, right?

QUOTE]

That would be too easy. Apparently they'd rather let it be active while driving and then tell you not to use it while driving. From the manual:

Requesting
Do not request a position from the memory
while the vehicle is moving. There is a
risk of accident from unexpected movement of
the seat or steering wheel.<

Request? I didn't ask it a d*mn thing!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo90290 View Post
Could it be a key memory issue, have you been using different keys? Also, if you start the engine before the seat and mirrors finish moving to memory, they stop, after you start the engine you have to hold the memory button for it to continue. I hope this helps

SteveO
i believe this might be the problem...i always start the car Right as i get in...im going to try it soon and let you know. thanks for the heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
This issue has previously been exhaustively discussed on this forum. Some have found the problem is corrected by having the dealer replace the motor for the passenger side mirror. There is an easier fix and that is to go into I-drive and disable the "remember individual settings" (or something close to that). I did it several years ago on my 2008 550i and it corrected the problem. It has stayed fixed ever since then. The downside is that the car doesn't remember your individual settings when you use your key fob. For me that isn't a problem since I'm the only person that generally drives the car and, if my wife drives it, we just have to press the memory buttons on the side of the seat for our individual settings. I can't remember the exact sequence for changing the I-drive setting but it is in a post on this forum. Search is your friend.
i know this sounds stupid, but what should i search? "passenger side mirror"???

Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
i believe this might be the problem...i always start the car Right as i get in...im going to try it soon and let you know. thanks for the heads up

i know this sounds stupid, but what should i search? "passenger side mirror"???
Exactly - do a search on that term you get this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...+mirror+memory

See last post - about changing the motor for the side mirror. I had the same issue with my 2008 5 series but never bothered to get it fixed; it was a minor pain in the a$$.

Retired: 2010 535|| White, Natural Brown interior, Sports, SAT, iPOD, Rear airbags

Retired - 2008 528 - Premium, iPod, Cold Weather, Titanium with black interior