Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i
2010 335i - Highly Disappointed

I Just took delivery of my 2010 335i 2 days ago. This car was ordered in mid-December 2009. The options I got are Premium package, Sport package, Cold Weather package & Navigation System. The car set me back just about $50K.

My previous car with a 2007 335i with the same config but was missing the Nav.

The difference in the 2 cars is significant. The 2007 was a MUCH better car. In terms of quality, solidity and features. I just cannot get over the fact that the new car seems to be cheaper in build.

I am totally appalled at the features that have been yanked!!!

Seatback pockets – gone - where to store stuff in the back - there is NO storage anywhere

Ashtray – gone - I don't smoke but where to store change?

Ashtray power outlet – moved to a very inconvenient location under the glove box!

Rechargeable flashlight – gone!

Ability to use an adapter in the flashlight receptacle to get a 2 power outlets – gone!

Cargo net hooks in the trunk – gone - I regularly used the cargo net, now what do I do with my existing cargo net? Maybe I will send it to BMW as a gift!

Wiper Arms - cheap, flimsy looking spindly arms that do not do a BMW justice - the ones on the 2007 were solid! These ones are pretty sad

Seatbelt height adjusters – gone! How does a short/tall driver adjust the seatbelt position?

Headrests – modified to the point that they don’t sit flush with the seat, rather remain at 1st notch. And they don't move forward and backward any more!

Seats - seem to be less padding and generally more uncomfortable!

Sound System - downgraded to a pathetic system that sounds like it is in a cardboard box. Sound clips at high volume. Weak bass. No oomph. Cannot hear the radio at max volume when sunroof and windows are open. The 2007 had the 10-speaker Professional system. This car has what appears to be a 4 (or 6?) speaker system. BMW has to be kidding. How can they justify this pathetic stereo in a $50K car? Of course I was not aware of the downgrade when I ordered the 2010. My sales rep was not either. I found out when I picked up the car and was driving home. Had I known when I placed the order, at least I would have opted for the upgraded sound system. I drive a lot and I like my music. My wife's Cayenne S has a stellar Bose system. The 335i system is like a boom box next to it. Disgusting that BMW can do this and get away with it. It is actually deceitful!

Handling - the 2010 335i does not feel as secure and as confident as the 2007. It seems lighter somehow. Feels more skittish and less poised on curves but that could be because the tires are still new and not broken into. I will report more on the handling after a few thousand miles.

I called customer relations. They promptly threw the dealership/my sales assassociate under the bus stating that these were "sales" issue and not "production or design" issues and they had the audacity to tell me that I should have thoroughly examined a 2010 showroom floor model BEFORE placing my order. They just gave me a bunch of baloney about "we reserve the right to make whatever feature changes we see fit....yada yada yada!" It is obvious that BMW does not really care about customer service/relationship otherwise they would NEVER have done this.

I wish I could give the car back. I cannot replace the stereo without voiding the warranty on the entire iDrive system. I know that BMW wont do anything. They simply don't care. So I am stuck with these missing features. That makes me feel cheated.

Am I the only one that has noticed these items? Is there anyone else out there that has comments on this?
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 328i
Why did you let go of your 2007 335i? The '09 models forward have what BMW calls the "Active Headrest", so that's why they don't tilt forward and backward. I know it sounds kind of ironic. Hearing about the downgraded audio system makes me mad. I agree that it is totally unacceptable to have such low grade quality speakers for a car in this caliber. I have already read about several members in this forum who were unaware of the downgraded speakers, and it is just sad.

Just to add a few more deletions I can think of at the top of my head:
-Hood pad insulation gone
-Windshield band gone
-Cooler under armrest gone

Last edited by bimmerfan3; 02-19-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 MINI Countryman All4
If only there were a way to find out what features would be different for the 2010 model year before you purchase the car.... That sucks that you're not satisfied with your new purchase -- I'm all for getting your money's worth (especially when it's $50k) -- but let's look at what you're saying here. I'm sure you'll get over the flashlight thing and the missing nets/pockets. My 2008 has seatback pockets that never get used, I never got (and don't really see much use for) bungee nets in the trunk, and the flashlight is a tiny piece of junk. Maybe it's because mine isn't the fancy rechargeable one, but you can get a $10 mini MagLite and replace the 2 AA batteries once every two years (if not less often -- how often do you really use the flashlight from your glove box??). The Logic7 has been gone for some time now, I'm surprised the sales associate didn't tell you or it didn't tell you on the website. I bet the dealer would have let you test out a car in the lot that didn't have it. You're going to call BMW USA and complain because of a bungee net, headrests, and a $3 flashlight? Really? I can see being "totally appalled" with getting screwed out of something, but I'm guessing you're either overreacting or you need to borrow a dictionary and look that word up. Who knows, you might have the one car that slipped through the cracks at Quality Assurance and I'm completely wrong here, but personally I would just appreciate the fact that I just bought a really nice car that I had to wait a long time for.

Why'd you get rid of the 2007? Did you have problems with it?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Quote:
Originally Posted by therajman View Post
I Just took delivery of my 2010 335i 2 days ago. This car was ordered in mid-December 2009. The options I got are Premium package, Sport package, Cold Weather package & Navigation System. The car set me back just about $50K.

The difference in the 2 cars is significant. The 2007 was a MUCH better car. In terms of quality, solidity and features. I just cannot get over the fact that the new car seems to be cheaper in build.

Seatback pockets – gone - where to store stuff in the back - there is NO storage anywhere

Ashtray power outlet – moved to a very inconvenient location under the glove box!

Ability to use an adapter in the flashlight receptacle to get a 2 power outlets – gone!

Cargo net hooks in the trunk – gone - I regularly used the cargo net, now what do I do with my existing cargo net? Maybe I will send it to BMW as a gift!

Wiper Arms - cheap, flimsy looking spindly arms that do not do a BMW justice - the ones on the 2007 were solid! These ones are pretty sad

Seatbelt height adjusters – gone! How does a short/tall driver adjust the seatbelt position?

Headrests – modified to the point that they don’t sit flush with the seat, rather remain at 1st notch. And they don't move forward and backward any more!

Sound System - downgraded to a pathetic system that sounds like it is in a cardboard box. Sound clips at high volume. Weak bass. No oomph. Cannot hear the radio at max volume when sunroof and windows are open. The 2007 had the 10-speaker Professional system. This car has what appears to be a 4 (or 6?) speaker system. BMW has to be kidding. How can they justify this pathetic stereo in a $50K car? Of course I was not aware of the downgrade when I ordered the 2010. My sales rep was not either. I found out when I picked up the car and was driving home. Had I known when I placed the order, at least I would have opted for the upgraded sound system. I drive a lot and I like my music. My wife's Cayenne S has a stellar Bose system. The 335i system is like a boom box next to it. Disgusting that BMW can do this and get away with it. It is actually deceitful!

Handling - the 2010 335i does not feel as secure and as confident as the 2007. It seems lighter somehow. Feels more skittish and less poised on curves but that could be because the tires are still new and not broken into. I will report more on the handling after a few thousand miles.

I called customer relations. They promptly threw the dealership/my sales assassociate under the bus stating that these were "sales" issue and not "production or design" issues and they had the audacity to tell me that I should have thoroughly examined a 2010 showroom floor model BEFORE placing my order. They just gave me a bunch of baloney about "we reserve the right to make whatever feature changes we see fit....yada yada yada!" It is obvious that BMW does not really care about customer service/relationship otherwise they would NEVER have done this.

I wish I could give the car back. I cannot replace the stereo without voiding the warranty on the entire iDrive system. I know that BMW wont do anything. They simply don't care. So I am stuck with these missing features. That makes me feel cheated.

Am I the only one that has noticed these items? Is there anyone else out there that has comments on this?
this is very sad news especially because im upgrading my 2006 325i to a 2010 328xi. I do not get why bmw is doing this.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Some of these can be fixed, a few can't. Sorry.
Quote:
***Get a little cloth storage bag?
***Buy a coin purse, keep in somewhere in the car
***Buy a cheap flashlight or a VW rechargable one
***Can it be retrofitted? Two additional hooks can be retrofitted in a Saab after they reduced the number from 4 to 2.
***Sad, indeed
***Safety improvement?

***Change tires?
I called customer relations. They promptly threw the dealership/my sales assassociate under the bus stating that these were "sales" issue and not "production or design" issues and they had the audacity to tell me that I should have thoroughly examined a 2010 showroom floor model BEFORE placing my order.
***Good help is hard to find and hire
Old 02-19-2010, 03:19 PM
always learning...

Mein Auto: 2002 M5 (soon)
Quote:
they had the audacity to tell me that I should have thoroughly examined a 2010 showroom floor model BEFORE placing my order.
A few things come to mind:

1. Sorry that you're not happy--that really sucks and I hope it changes with time.

2. I hope the build quality issue is just a feeling you have--I doubt BMW changed major components or things like metal or seal thickness but they may have done so to shave costs. That's a really interesting observation on your part and I hope you elaborate.

3. To be fair, if you're buying a $50k car, you really should look at the one on the floor, find out for yourself what the differences are, and generally be informed about the purchase.

4. Unfortunately, BMW has to cut costs when the dollar is weak against the Euro. Around the time your 07 was built, the USD was ~E0.80. When your 2010 was built, the USD was between E0.67 and E0.70. That's a huge difference. In general, beware of a product that remains unchanged in USD when the equivalent in the manufacturing/HQ country becomes much less. Something's gotta give, and it's usually quality, features, or service.

Last edited by Jsborn; 02-19-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
People have argued me down on the point that BMW is de-contenting cars so I basically have nothing to say. The individual who started this thread has said it all.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:

Headrests – modified to the point that they don't sit flush with the seat, rather remain at 1st notch. And they don't move forward and backward any more!

A few comments:

1) the hooks in the trunk cost about 20 bucks and you can order them from Tischler. I have to say that this deletion, along with the seat back nets, is just mind blowing for being so chintzy.

2) The seats are largely unchanged. I suggest the issue here is just getting used to a new car.

3) The headrest thing reflects new safety standards and active headrests. That change probably cost BMW quite a lot of money. It was hardly a cost cutting maneuver.

4) If you want more power points (other than the two that are already in the front cabin) this is easy to add. There is a mod at E90post. I agree that putting a power point under the glovebox is pretty dumb.

5) If you look in your armrest you will notice a few slots near where the cup holder used to be. Those are coin holders. Personally, I just keep a baggy filled with quarters in the glovebox for parking and such.

6) Many of us (myself included) think the new open cubby is pretty useful.

7) I seriously doubt the handling is different or that the car is less solid overall. I again suggest that might be about getting used to a new car.

Don't be mad a me for saying this, but I partially agree with BMW. If you are going to buy a new car, you should educate yourself about all the features that are available. Before I bought my new car, I made an effort to find out about everything that was added or subtracted from the previous model year. Changes do occur from year to year, and it is not like they made any effort to hid those changes from you.

Oh, and just so you know, there are few other items that you didn't notice. Open up your hood, and you'll notice the sound insulator pad is gone. You will also notice the "REST" button on the HVAC controls has been replaced by "ALL."

I am sorry the first few weeks of a your new car have been a downer.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 02-19-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Sell it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
There have been countless posts here (and on some other forums) about the differences in the versions. Had you made your homework, you would not be running back here, crying oh how bad BMW is... That's what showrooms are for and if next time you go in one of those planning on purchasing $50k car, please make sure that the functionality you use most is there... When you are at it, you may also check if BMW equips their cars with all 4 wheels... (or was it 5 in '07?)... I really do not get it, how did you buy this car? After looking at it in the catalog? And that can't be true, as the new 3-series catalog shows both the interior and exterior accurately. Quit whining, you bought it, you are a big boy, it is entirely your fault...

Ps. Do you think that if you have driven a '67 'vette and go into one of the Chevy dealers planning on purchasing a brand spanking new Z06, do you expect those to be the same? Please...

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFTW91 View Post
this is very sad news especially because im upgrading my 2006 325i to a 2010 328xi. I do not get why bmw is doing this.
I can understand why you maybe sad, but some of these deletions are just so minor that you will forget about it when you can enjoy how great the rest of the car is. And just to make you feel better, you are actually getting a pretty good value for your 2010 328xi since the leather, ipod adaptor, hd radio, 17" wheels (early 2010 models) as standard. And if you are getting the 2011 models, BMW is now offering the Convenience Package, which makes the car a even better value if you are planning to get any of those options in the Convenience Package.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan3 View Post
-Cooler under armrest gone
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... ....

Not the cooler!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:28 PM
LUVMyDiesel

Mein Auto: E90 10 335d
Speaking of the insulation pad, my 2010 335d still has it. Go figure

E90 2010 335d Blk Shaph/Saddle Brwn/Burl/Prem/Sport/Cold/Nav/Paddles/CA/L7 ED 12 Jan 10
(Ret) E90 2007 328i, 6AT/Titanium Silver/Dakota Gray/Prem/Sport/Zenons
Old 02-19-2010, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Which version did you get? e90 or e92?

F10 M5 Alpine/Sakhir
Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
How dare you criticize BMW which as we all know are perfect vehicles that are beyond reproach.

Since it is inevitable that someone here is going go come up with a "get a Lexus" post so I might as well get it over with.

If you want (fill in the blank) get a Lexus.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
I have heard of buyer's remores but buyer's rage?

Me thinks you didn't test drive a 2010 model, though your SA should also have been more informed and pointed out changes to the 2010s compared to whatever car you test drove.

I hope a night of sleep makes you feel a bit happier about your new car. I have cargo hooks and an ashtray to offer if you want to do a 1 to 1 swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135
don't they give you those pen flashlights as a replacement for the rechargeable ones?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i
I do want to thank everyone for their comments.

A few more points:

I am sure that you read that I had the 2007 335i. I just repeated the order when the lease ended. I foolishly assumed that the car would remain the same for the most part. I can understand cost cutting due to the weaker dollar but sneakily removing stuff, well, in my book, that is sneaky. The biggest bummer is the radio. If I had any idea of the downgrade, I would have ordered the logic7. It would have added $800 to the car. Whats $800 on $50K? But the fact remains that BMW did not publicize the downgrade (why would they??) and the dealer claims that they were not specifically notified about the downgrade.

And no, I did not feel the need to check the 2010 floor model at the showroom from top to bottom and inside/outside and neither did I feel the need for a test drive. I wanted a stick and the dealer did not have a stick and I did not want to drive an automatic. So I did not. I did not turn the radio on at high volume and I certainly did not roll the windows down and open the sunroof and turn the radio on because i did not drive the car. Maybe I should have but the point I am trying to make is that all this information was not disclosed by BMW on their promo material or on the website. Especially the stereo. After all, we have come to expect a consistent level of quality from BMW over the years and I never expected this from BMW. Call me naive. I have learned my lesson.

I can live with the deletions. But not this pathetic, sad radio. And what sucks is that I am stuck with it.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
How dare you criticize BMW which as we all know are perfect vehicles that are beyond reproach.

Since it is inevitable that someone here is going go come up with a "get a Lexus" post so I might as well get it over with.

CA
Get a Buick.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:

CA
Just be prepared for that Lexus to accelerate whenever it damn feels like it....
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
I do want to thank everyone for their comments.

A few more points:

I am sure that you read that I had the 2007 335i. I just repeated the order when the lease ended. I foolishly assumed that the car would remain the same for the most part. I can understand cost cutting due to the weaker dollar but sneakily removing stuff, well, in my book, that is sneaky. The biggest bummer is the radio. If I had any idea of the downgrade, I would have ordered the logic7. It would have added $800 to the car. Whats $800 on $50K? But the fact remains that BMW did not publicize the downgrade (why would they??) and the dealer claims that they were not specifically notified about the downgrade.

And no, I did not feel the need to check the 2010 floor model at the showroom from top to bottom and inside/outside and neither did I feel the need for a test drive. I wanted a stick and the dealer did not have a stick and I did not want to drive an automatic. So I did not. I did not turn the radio on at high volume and I certainly did not roll the windows down and open the sunroof and turn the radio on because i did not drive the car. Maybe I should have but the point I am trying to make is that all this information was not disclosed by BMW on their promo material or on the website. Especially the stereo. After all, we have come to expect a consistent level of quality from BMW over the years and I never expected this from BMW. Call me naive. I have learned my lesson.

I can live with the deletions. But not this pathetic, sad radio. And what sucks is that I am stuck with it.

Trust but always verify!

BMW decides to cheapen their brand on the back of small-cost details. It's ridiculous.

Talk to the dealer, they'll take it back if you get a M3 instead or a Series 6.
Do yourself that favor. You can also look at CPOs for these two models.

If not, sell it and buy something else.

$50K buys you a lot of power/ refinement, in particular in the secondary market. You could get a Maserati or a Porsche for that price.

I am sorry for your trouble.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis328i View Post
Speaking of the insulation pad, my 2010 335d still has it. Go figure
They didn't actually delete it from the diesel vehicles, because diesel engines are presumed to be nosier.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
ahem...

"presumed"?

They are in effect noisier. One of the things I dislike about Europe: Diesel engines are everywhere.

Last edited by octopump; 02-19-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:57 PM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan3 View Post
I can understand why you maybe sad, but some of these deletions are just so minor that you will forget about it when you can enjoy how great the rest of the car is. And just to make you feel better, you are actually getting a pretty good value for your 2010 328xi since the leather, ipod adaptor, hd radio, 17" wheels (early 2010 models) as standard. And if you are getting the 2011 models, BMW is now offering the Convenience Package, which makes the car a even better value if you are planning to get any of those options in the Convenience Package.
lol im not sad I actually dont really care to be honest I dont buy Bmws for their interior i buy them for the driving experience and their sweet design. Im just happy i can afford a Bmw because some people dont even have money to eat. I love my car now i dont even want to trade it in but i need AWD.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
There have been countless posts here (and on some other forums) about the differences in the versions. Had you made your homework, you would not be running back here, crying oh how bad BMW is... That's what showrooms are for and if next time you go in one of those planning on purchasing $50k car, please make sure that the functionality you use most is there... When you are at it, you may also check if BMW equips their cars with all 4 wheels... (or was it 5 in '07?)... I really do not get it, how did you buy this car? After looking at it in the catalog? And that can't be true, as the new 3-series catalog shows both the interior and exterior accurately. Quit whining, you bought it, you are a big boy, it is entirely your fault...

Ps. Do you think that if you have driven a '67 'vette and go into one of the Chevy dealers planning on purchasing a brand spanking new Z06, do you expect those to be the same? Please...
Worst. Post. Ever.

Wait, BMW's not perfect? I bought a BMW! Oh no, that would mean that I'm not perfect! If I'm not perfect I must be an idiot! Also, 3 years is similar to 43 years in automotive technological advancements. No, BMW must be perfect after all. YOU'RE the idiot. Whew, now I can sleep at night.

Quote:

CA
Careful, CA, some readers here think "nuance" is a brand of soap.