Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
so sorry to heat of your dissapointment. Hope you don't run into injector or HPFP woes.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Have you gone back to see if you the dealer explained your confusion and asked whether they would buy it back? If you are buying another one from them, maybe, just maybe, the dealer will try to work something out for you. This would simply be a goodwill gesture on their behalf.

2007 530xi

Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
therajman: take a deep breath, take a mini-vacation, and just live with the car for another week. Don't dwell on the "what I used to have" issue.
Let things settle out, see how you feel about it then.
I guess I'm saying, let time and effort put a little perspective on things.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i coupe
You didn't know that Logic7 wasn't included in the 2010? Did you ever go to bmwusa.com and build your new 335i? That would have told you that Logic7 wasn't included. As other people have mentioned, you didn't do your homework on this one and now have "displaced" your anger on BMW. That's a shame.

Neapolitan-
Nobody's saying BMW is perfect, and those who buy the car don't magically confer the characteristics of one's car. What I think dandanio was trying to point out is that through the years model years change from year to year. As a consumer it's your responsibility to do your homework and figure out what options change from different model years. Targeting BMW for the differences in options is ludicrous.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Although I agree with you, I also think that Neapolitan has a point. Its not typical for a car company, particularly an upscale car company, to start systematically deleting small features midway through a model run. I've certainly never seen Acura, Infiniti, or Lexus do this.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post

Careful, CA, some readers here think "nuance" is a brand of soap.
Everyone knows Nuance is a software product not a kind of soap....

http://www.nuancestore.com/dr/v2/ec_...soft&sid=19198

you might be thinking of suave?

Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 02-19-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Just be prepared for that Lexus to accelerate whenever it damn feels like it....

Epicness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Quote:
Although I agree with you, I also think that Neapolitan has a point. Its not typical for a car company, particularly an upscale car company, to start systematically deleting small features midway through a model run. I've certainly never seen Acura, Infiniti, or Lexus do this.
I believe the term everyone is searching for is, "nickel and dime-ing you to death."

BMW is being hit hard by the devalued U.S. dollar--well over 10% drop since I got my car!
BMW doesn't want to raise prices too much--certainly not over that psychological $50k (base) mark, so they ever-so-slowly, ever-so-stealthily de-feature the 3 to save $10 here, $50 there, $200 over thataway.

I'd rather see the higher price, myself.

Last edited by galahad05; 02-19-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
Quote:
QFT... However, others are doing this. When I was helping my sister buy her 2010 Accord. We noticed Honda's been secretly decontenting their mainstream car also. For example: For 2010 they: 1. Took out glove box illumination 2. Took out ambience lighting on all 4 banger models. 3. Even deleted the engine cover AND hood insulation :lol: . Surprising to see this done on a car built here in the US that's not subject to tariffs and exchange rates.

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated335 View Post
Everyone knows Nuance is a software product not a kind of soap....

http://www.nuancestore.com/dr/v2/ec_...soft&sid=19198

you might be thinking of suave?

He didn't say Nuance was soap. He said the some people here THINK it is soap.

I was under the impression that "nuance" was the opposite of "oldance"

"ANCE" as everyone knows is The Association of Network for Community Empowerment (Lahore, Pakistan) ...

I just assumed they had reorganized and were now calling it "Nuance"

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-19-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Just be prepared for that Lexus to accelerate whenever it damn feels like it....
I am sure when that happens Lexus drivers are thinking "How the hell can I get this RB* into Limp Mode. Where is an HPFP failure when I need one"

*RB = Rebadged Toyota

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-20-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
He didn't say Nuance was soap. He said the some people here THINK it is soap.

I was under the impression that "nuance" was the opposite of "oldance"

"ANCE" as everyone knows is The Association of Network for Community Empowerment (Lahore, Pakistan) ...

I just assumed they had reorganized and were now calling it "Nuance"

CA
I thought they ought to know it was a software programme. There is enough disinformation on the internet already.
Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 02-20-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:40 AM
40 Oz. to Freedom

Mein Auto: 13 M3 - 07 X3 - 01 325xiT
I feel ya OP. It's irritating but it's life. BMW is trying to keep costs down. What choice do they have? I am sure a big part of this has been the economy and the weakened dollar. When I replaced my 2002 330i with a 2005 330i, the only thing that was different was the car actually had more features. They had added center lap belt and headrest in the rear, standard sunroof, standard MP3 capability of the CD player (hell even the CD player was standard, I believe it was still a tape player when I ordered my car in 2001), and auxiliary stereo input. That's all I can think of but I am sure there were a few more smaller things. Of course the economy was stronger then. I did fully test a floor model before I ordered though just in case...hopefully lesson learned for you.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:01 AM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore trout View Post
although i agree with you, i also think that neapolitan has a point. Its not typical for a car company, particularly an upscale car company, to start systematically deleting small features midway through a model run. I've certainly never seen acura, infiniti, or lexus do this.
my thoughts exactly.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
Old 02-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
I think when talking about how BMW "cheaped out" by making these small changes, it's only fair to talk about things they spent money on to improve. The OPs 2007 model didn't come with several improvements that the 2010 comes with. Specifically:

-Redesigned/updated look (hood, trunk)
-LED turn signals that are awesome
-Brushed Aluminum bits (like the headlight switch) have improved interior quality look and feel
-Updated iDrive that is much better and has better Navigation as well

I'm probably forgetting a couple things..
Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 AM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markinva View Post
I think when talking about how BMW "cheaped out" by making these small changes, it's only fair to talk about things they spent money on to improve. The OPs 2007 model didn't come with several improvements that the 2010 comes with. Specifically:

-Brushed Aluminum bits (like the headlight switch) have improved interior quality look and feel

I think other manufacturers do this WITHOUT taking stuff away. Every manufacturer is looking to add content to their cars these days to give a competitive edge, this is the only company I know of going in the opposite direction. I can ignore honestly every change BUT the audio. Who the hell is DOWNGRADING audio these days.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
Old 02-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Sedan
I too am sorry to hear of the disappointment. But, you need to keep a few things in mind. The closest viable competitor to the 3 series is arguably an Infiniti G37. The Audi S4 may compete with a loaded up 335 but they have terrible residuals so for the OP who is leasing it would probably not be on the shopping list. So...back to the Infiniti. I traded in my 08 G35S for my 328i and could not be happier. For roughly the same sticker as my BMW, the Inifniti had nav, radar cruise, Bose, everything. It also had cheap interior plastics, design defects leading to a front grill that looked polka (sp?) dotted after 15k miles, the softest paint ever, and a general lack of durability. It did, however, have some nice looking windshield wiper arms. My point is, BMW may have decontented a few items but it is still the ultimate driving machine. My base sound system sounds as good as the Bose in the Infiniti (although not on Sirius) and is good enough people have commented on how tight the bass is....those under seat woofers sound great! Be happy with your car as the real bottom line is that you still have the best. Manufacturers add and take away things....this year also gets free leather. I am willing to bet the marketing department said you will attract more buyers with a value package including free leather and IPOD adapter than seatback nets or a wood covered ashtray....
Old 02-20-2010, 08:38 AM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan3 View Post
Why did you let go of your 2007 335i? The '09 models forward have what BMW calls the "Active Headrest", so that's why they don't tilt forward and backward. I know it sounds kind of ironic. Hearing about the downgraded audio system makes me mad. I agree that it is totally unacceptable to have such low grade quality speakers for a car in this caliber. I have already read about several members in this forum who were unaware of the downgraded speakers, and it is just sad.

Just to add a few more deletions I can think of at the top of my head:
-Hood pad insulation gone
-Windshield band gone
-Cooler under armrest gone
amen to that.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markinva View Post

I think this is good to remember. The updated and improved iDrive must have cost a lot to develop. I really do like the added chrome bits for my interior.

I suspect it has to do with the weakening of the US dollar as well. They added things to the 2010 models here in Canada, while keeping the price the same (although we have the same minor deletions, the audio deletion wasn't like in the States, and some options, even a full package, became standard).

- 2010 335i coupe (Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Gray Poplar, Sport package, etc.)
- 2013 M3 coupe on order (July production)
Old 02-20-2010, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
OP - sorry to hear about this. I hope that there are at least some upsides to your new 335i. And, as someone mentioned, I hope that you grow into the new car over time (new shoes always feel awkward until you've broken them in.)
Old 02-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i
More Points

Every business is scrambling to retain their current customers. Customer retention is dependent on making your existing customer happy. In this economy, it is a buyer's market and not a seller's. So, in my opinion, BMW should be going out of the way to make their cars a better value and not a cheaper value. Yes, things are tough. Yes, things are tight. There is a credit crunch. Very few people are purchasing new cars, especially in the luxury segment. From that perspective, BMW should make every effort to keep the equipment levels consistent and not arbitrarily cut. Such tactics can turn off repeat buyers. I will be very leery next time I go back to BMW. Once burned, twice shy. I will make sure that I examine each and every option properly. This experience has made me skeptical and I am sure to do my research IF I ever go back to BMW.

Is it too much to ask for proper disclosure?

And, yes, I conducted my research and I took the time to "build my car" on their website. There was NO indication that the standard stereo had been downgraded. None at all. In fact, even now, if you go to the website, there are NO details to be had on the standard audio system - this is how it is listed in the features and specs area:

Anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio system with Radio Data System (RDS)

There are no details to be had. They dont tell you the number of speakers. Nothing. Nada.

In the options section, here is what is offered for the Logic7:

Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Digital Sound Processing

The fact that they did not provide the specifics on the standard system is what is sneaky.

I don't anything against BMW for decontenting the 3-series; my problem stems from the fact that they have done this is a stealthy fashion. That is all.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by therajman View Post
I don't anything against BMW for decontenting the 3-series; my problem stems from the fact that they have done this is a stealthy fashion. That is all.
I think you have the right to be mad. I suspect most buyers are not like those on the forums, knowing many details of each model year. I suspect many 07 to 10 drivers are disappointed about the same thing.

- 2010 335i coupe (Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Gray Poplar, Sport package, etc.)
- 2013 M3 coupe on order (July production)
Old 02-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to groundeffect
Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
They added things to the 2010 models here in Canada, while keeping the price the same (although we have the same minor deletions, the audio deletion wasn't like in the States, and some options, even a full package, became standard).
Don't forget we pay an extra 10 grand for the car in the first place..and the maintainance
warranty isn't as thorough..
Old 02-20-2010, 11:14 AM
White's 335xi lighting

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
While most of the nickel and dime items are just irritating, the radio downgrade is BS in a car of this caliper. That cheap noise box doesn't belong in a 50k period!

| 335xi Alpine White | steptronic | premium | cold weather | nav | logic 7 | CA | PDC | satellite radio | HD radio | smart phone integration | iPod adapter |
Old 02-20-2010, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328xdrive
I'm not sure how you would spend 50k and NOT check the car out from head to toe. There are obvious differences in the body style from your previous 3 series. It would seem pretty obvious that there would be other changes to the interior and elsewhere as well.

With that being said, you sales associate should have pointed out every feature change to you, provided that he knew that you were coming out of another older 3 series. The fact that he didn't do so would prevent me from ever using that dealership again for future purchases.

I have a 2010 328xdrive, with similar features to you. I am coming out of an X3. I think that the 3 series is amazing, and once you get more comfortable with the changes that you mentioned in your post, I really think that you will love it.

Good Luck!