Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335xi
Someone mentioned that the sound insulator pad in the hood is gone in the 2010 335. Does that mean that it is louder/noisier in the cabin when you are driving too? Can someone verify this? A pathetic radio coupled with noisier interior due to a removed sound insulator is a ridiculous cost-cutting change for a luxury brand.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Read this thread about BSW upgrade and amps

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...lifiers&page=3
Old 02-21-2010, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Option View Post
Someone mentioned that the sound insulator pad in the hood is gone in the 2010 335. Does that mean that it is louder/noisier in the cabin when you are driving too? Can someone verify this? A pathetic radio coupled with noisier interior due to a removed sound insulator is a ridiculous cost-cutting change for a luxury brand.
I dunno about others, but I find my 335i sounds like it costs. Quiet when driven leisurely and beautiful sounds from the motor with a little spirited driving. Nothing "sounds" cheap to me.

- 2010 335i coupe (Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Gray Poplar, Sport package, etc.)
- 2013 M3 coupe on order (July production)
Old 02-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 535 M Sport
I have already posted several times about this. I want to add that in October 2009 when I ordered my '10 ED E92 335xi there was no stock of 2010s yet on the showroom floor (I did get to see an E90 M Sport after I ordered but no coupes had shipped yet). In addition I had to order without a color brochure - the dealer had nothing. Just the stupid pdf on the web. Not the best way to make a $55K investment. I will say that since I had an E92 328xi I had some idea what the content of the car was like - but I did a lot of guessing. I miss the light under the front hood and the seat back nets which I used a lot. Only after I placed my order did the posts start about decontenting. At the end of the day the 335xi is still a super car. I invested another $500 or so to get it where I wanted it and will fix the horrible base audio system next. Also have to fix the horrible gray plastic rear splitter in the M Sport bumper cover - gray plastic is the cheapest looking part on the car when it is supposed to be a key part of a premium package. Another thing is the Professional radio has been completely redesigned and I've had nothing but problems with it so far. At the end of the day the car still makes me smile every time I bury an Acura TL a quarter mile deep at a green light. This car goes from 0-100 faster than anything else Ive ever driven. Id rather have the car decontented than have BMW pull it from the US market entirely because of poor profitability.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:00 PM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
To the OP, I feel your pain. I'm preparing to order a 2011 335D, and I've got an issue that is similar to your problem. The new upgrade stereo for 2011 is a "Harmon Kardon Surround Sound" system. So what the heck is that? Some say it's the Logic7 by a new name (HK supposedly makes both). Who knows? I've posted up a thread in the "Ask a Dealer" section to see if someone with ties to BMW can tell us (me) exactly what this system is - number of speakers, etc.. I can't find anything on the BMW site that definitively answers this question - to be fair, it might be too soon, since the 2011's have just been announced. Nonetheless, this is similar to what you've described. It will interesting to see what we learn.
I have a suspicion that the new HK branded system is actually the old ten speaker system rebranded with the Harmon Kardon name. I saw photos of the interiors of the new 335is with the HK system and the speaker placement is identical. Now unless speaker quality is improved or more amp is provided they are REBRANDING IMHO. But I will wait and see. FYI those pics were @ autospies.com

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
Old 02-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 MINI Countryman All4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjaz View Post
therajman is simply stating that the base system was quite sufficient on his '07 and had he known of the changes he would have opted for the upgrade. It's not unreasonable to have an expectation of being informed of that. And it's certainly understandable why one would be upset being "stuck" with an inferior sound system. That's one of those quality of life issues that can impact the owner's enjoyment of the vehicle.
except the "base" (only) system for the 2007 335 was the Logic7 that is now optional. There's nobody to blame for that but the buyer who didn't pay attention when he was building his car online. If it's listed as an $800 option, why would he ever suspect to find it in his car for free? I bet $800 would go a long way at a stereo shop, and it would be a lot easier than trying to get BMW to "buy back" a car that he didn't mean to buy. OP: suck it up and accept that you made a mistake, and that this mistake should be easy enough to fix. It could be way worse -- like having second thoughts about sedan vs coupe, nav vs no nav, etc... You're just talking about replacing a few speakers here
Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM
my 335 with friend

Mein Auto: E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
I dunno about others, but I find my 335i sounds like it costs. Quiet when driven leisurely and beautiful sounds from the motor with a little spirited driving. Nothing "sounds" cheap to me.
Same here. Turned in a 2007 and now drive a 2010 sedan, no difference in cabin noises.

cr
Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM
my 335 with friend

Mein Auto: E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
You didn't know that Logic7 wasn't included in the 2010? Did you ever go to bmwusa.com and build your new 335i? That would have told you that Logic7 wasn't included. As other people have mentioned, you didn't do your homework on this one and now have "displaced" your anger on BMW. That's a shame.
20 times before placing my order. It seems as if one loves what BMW is about, you would spend more time on the BMW site?

cr
Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Quality

Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Mein Auto: 330i
Here are pictures from a 2010 335i factory brand new with 0 miles. Does this look like a $46,000 luxury sports sedan?

You can see how cheap the steering wheel looks...even from a picture you can see the surface color, finish and texture don't match up between the airbag and wheel.

and the dash plastics seem cheaper as well...

no loft in the cushions...and no rear net pockets on the back of the front seats. A first on the 3 series since the 1992 318i E36.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 02-21-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
wow, those seats do look pathetic, obviously they're non-sport, but I've never seen them look so under-stuffed and sad. Nobody panick, they're still great cars, rt??
Old 02-21-2010, 07:03 PM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Here are pictures from a 2010 335i factory brand new with 0 miles. Does this look like a $46,000 luxury sports sedan?

You can see how cheap the steering wheel looks...even from a picture you can see the surface color, finish and texture don't match up between the airbag and wheel.

and the dash plastics seem cheaper as well...

no loft in the cushions...and no rear net pockets on the back of the front seats. A first on the 3 series since the 1992 318i E36.

For anybody who believes these "little things" don't mean alot, take a look at these pics. Not decontenting my @ss.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
For anybody who believes these "little things" don't mean alot, take a look at these pics. Not decontenting my @ss.
Yes, it's start with little thing and go down with more.......

and then compare to another german car

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT

Last edited by MB330; 02-21-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I have a suspicion that the new HK branded system is actually the old ten speaker system rebranded with the Harmon Kardon name. I saw photos of the interiors of the new 335is with the HK system and the speaker placement is identical. Now unless speaker quality is improved or more amp is provided they are REBRANDING IMHO. But I will wait and see. FYI those pics were @ autospies.com
I don't think so. The old base system is not a "surround system" That's the Logic 7. As to whether there are other changes, who knows. The simple solution is to find out how many speakers there are. If it is 13, that indicates a center speaker in the dash along with 2 subs; i.e., Logic 7. I doubt they will downgrade the step up system. As for the autospies photos, you can't go by those as they are often from models for other markets, and other markets have different sound systems.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Liverpudlian at heart

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
I can sympathize with the OP's opening remarks. I have had my '09 for 8 months now, 5 months since my ED redelivery. Not a week goes by when I don't look at the bin forward of the gear shift and grind my teeth as I remember the covered ash-tray I ordered. That open gaping wound in my console is an assault on my taste.

I can rationalize the savings, the redundancy of an ash-tray for today's 50-percentile driver and so on. On a good day I can imagine that impartial people somewhere might even like it. I don't and didn't ever think I would have to. I still think the unadvertised deletion between my placing the order after exhaustive due-diligence and my collecting the car is just wrong. Changing the design of a bracket behind the dashboard, or choosing a different component manufacturer for the same spec part are what I'd expect to the the function of usual (and necessary) manufacturer weasel-words. Not something so in-your-face as the butt-ugly storage bin.

I also dislike the lack of a tinted band on my windshield - again present on the car I ordered - all the more so that we are now in the season when the sun shines in my eyes both going to and returning from work. BMW saving ~$20 is really making me suffer. Maybe not so much as to warrant buying a home east of my workplace, but it's annoying.

I have grown to live without the other items deleted (stolen?) from my car. Many of which were listed in this thread. I haven't missed the 12V power connector as much as I thought I would. On the few occasions I would have used it I used a $5 12V Y-cable and that was actually tidier than having multiple power cords snaking past the console to the rear seats for the kids' gear. Having navigation helps: I'd have hated to try and manage plugging/unplugging a portable nav system with that under-the-glovebox socket.

It's a shame. I enjoy my car a lot. Wouldn't change it. In that measure I have no buyer's remorse. BUT: I do have a less favorable impression of BMW the brand now than I did.

Frank
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 AM

Mein Auto: 335d Touring
Why are many of you having a go at the OP for mentioning a load of downgrades?

I find the info useful. I detect that some are just upset that their brand new BMW might have been made a little more cheaply than the older ones. The little things (like the torch) are what helps BMWs rise above the rest - the have many of them deleted is bound to be annoying.

I have non sport seat - look at how much more padding they have!

They have made the 2010 model look like a taxi!
E91 UK spec 335d (286bhp), sapphire black, sports suspension, 17" 160 star alloys on CSC3 non RFTs, terra dakota leather, full sunroof, retractable rear sun blinds, comfort pack, folding rear headrests, a dog, a baby, a wife and usually surfboards and MTBs
Old 02-22-2010, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 335d & X5 35d
What are your impression on the brakes... On my previous 07 328, the brakes were grabby and shed a ton of brake dust. The 10 335d brakes shed much less brake dust and do not have any grabby feel. Thoughts?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 AM
always learning...

Mein Auto: 2002 M5 (soon)
You can look at things two ways, and in the absence of facts people seem to complain that every change is BMW being cheap and sneaky. What about well-meaning changes and safety-mandated ones?

Head rests
The head rests that the OP was incensed about - not tilt - are a new safety feature. As someone pointed out, those headrests must cost more to make. I bet they are also MUCH more effective in preventing serious neck injuries.

Seatback nets
I've never used them in any car I've had, and my rear passengers would be happier if the nets weren't there, giving them a tiny bit more legroom and not catching on their knees/pants when they enter and exit. BMW could have analyzed how many customers use the nets versus the downsides and removed them based on findings.

Hood insulation
The N54 runs hot, which in general is a good thing (efficiency--see other threads on the subject). But what if BMW decided that the hood should be conducting more heat away from the engine? I doubt there's much difference aurally and there could be benefits here.

Glove box flashlight
This was a terrible light source, and someone at BMW probably realized that it's worse to supply the customer with something crappy than with nothing at all. If you're an average customer who sees and even turns on the flashlight then doesn't carry a proper flashlight because of it, you'd be pretty upset in an emergency to find out the BMW light does a terrible job of lighting things. BMW probably couldn't source or couldn't justify the cost for a decent flashlight, so they removed the crappy one.

These are just theories, but it helps to think about things before pouring out the haterade. There are definitely deletions for cost cutting but other changes were likely an attempt by BMW to offer a better product overall.

The one change that I think is a real shame is no more cover on the console storage unit. I have one in my '07 and think the interior looks cheap without one (drove a '10 loaner for a few days). As for the stereo, the change sucks but buyer beware. I can't comment on the seats but I don't really see any difference in the photos. One looks like leather, the other leatherette.

Last edited by Jsborn; 02-22-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
That leather does look bad

I got to agree the leather should be tighter than that.
The year I bought my 330ci 01 they put in the wussy steering but about half a year
later they came back and retrofitted the steeting box to the old 328 version so they do
sometimes try to fix things or did at one time.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsborn View Post
You can look at things two ways, and in the absence of facts people seem to complain that every change is BMW being cheap and sneaky. What about well-meaning changes and safety-mandated ones?

Head rests
The head rests that the OP was incensed about - not tilt - are a new safety feature. As someone pointed out, those headrests must cost more to make. I bet they are also MUCH more effective in preventing serious neck injuries.

Seatback nets
I've never used them in any car I've had, and my rear passengers would be happier if the nets weren't there, giving them a tiny bit more legroom and not catching on their knees/pants when they enter and exit. BMW could have analyzed how many customers use the nets versus the downsides and removed them based on findings.

Hood insulation
The N54 runs hot, which in general is a good thing (efficiency--see other threads on the subject). But what if BMW decided that the hood should be conducting more heat away from the engine? I doubt there's much difference aurally and there could be benefits here.

Glove box flashlight
This was a terrible light source, and someone at BMW probably realized that it's worse to supply the customer with something crappy than with nothing at all. If you're an average customer who sees and even turns on the flashlight then doesn't carry a proper flashlight because of it, you'd be pretty upset in an emergency to find out the BMW light does a terrible job of lighting things. BMW probably couldn't source or couldn't justify the cost for a decent flashlight, so they removed the crappy one.

These are just theories, but it helps to think about things before pouring out the haterade. There are definitely deletions for cost cutting but other changes were likely an attempt by BMW to offer a better product overall.

The one change that I think is a real shame is no more cover on the console storage unit. I have one in my '07 and think the interior looks cheap without one (drove a '10 loaner for a few days). As for the stereo, the change sucks but buyer beware. I can't comment on the seats but I don't really see any difference in the photos. One looks like leather, the other leatherette.
What irritates me more is the removal of the seat belt height adjustment. Isn't that a safety issue? My 6'2" brother felt the 2010 was set too low. I'm 5'10" and it fits me right.

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by therajman View Post
Sound System - downgraded to a pathetic system that sounds like it is in a cardboard box. Sound clips at high volume. Weak bass. No oomph. Cannot hear the radio at max volume when sunroof and windows are open. The 2007 had the 10-speaker Professional system. This car has what appears to be a 4 (or 6?) speaker system. BMW has to be kidding. How can they justify this pathetic stereo in a $50K car? Of course I was not aware of the downgrade when I ordered the 2010. My sales rep was not either. I found out when I picked up the car and was driving home. Had I known when I placed the order, at least I would have opted for the upgraded sound system. I drive a lot and I like my music. My wife's Cayenne S has a stellar Bose system. The 335i system is like a boom box next to it. Disgusting that BMW can do this and get away with it. It is actually deceitful!
My car has a Radio? Bonus!
I've only been listening to the engine.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Last edited by cruise_bone; 02-22-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
My car has a Radio? Bonus!
I've only been listening to the engine.
Nice ride cruise bone. What part of Atlanta? I am south of Atl. and I was getting ready to pick up a Tit Silver 328 M Sport Coupe myself. Really wanted the Jade Gray, but the upkeep scared the hell out of me so I went with Black w/ Gray Pop to be safe. However, once I heard about the radio, I contacted the dealer. I was told that while the speaker quantity was reduced & the ext amp removed, the quality of speaker was actually upgraded and the current head unit was more powerful and able to handle the load better than the previously included ext amp. Sounds like sales speak to me, but who knows. I guess I need to hear it for myself, but I don't know if I am going to drop 45k on a car with a crap stereo. Especially since it sounds it is rather difficult to complete an upgrade to the audio and w/o voiding warranties. it doesn't need to sound like my home setup, but it better sound at least as good as my current 02 Accord.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa1260 View Post
I contacted the dealer. I was told that while the speaker quantity was reduced & the ext amp removed, the quality of speaker was actually upgraded and the current head unit was more powerful and able to handle the load better than the previously included ext amp. Sounds like sales speak to me, but who knows. I guess I need to hear it for myself, but I don't know if I am going to drop 45k on a car with a crap stereo. Especially since it sounds it is rather difficult to complete an upgrade to the audio and w/o voiding warranties. it doesn't need to sound like my home setup, but it better sound at least as good as my current 02 Accord.
That was definitely "dealer speak" BS. The downgraded 2010 radio has always been available in other countries as their "base radio" In other words it's the base radio that's found in vehicles like the lowly 316i that's used as a "fleet car" around the world. Previously, BMW, in trying to keep their upscale image gave us the step up upgrade from that base radio as "stock." Recently with their cheezy cost-cutting, they're now giving us the base radio as "stock"

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

Maybe I'm spoiled in my sports seats, maybe it is the light, but I've seen better seats in a Hyundai Sonata rental car.

I sympathize with you OP. Like FrankAZ, I ordered my 2009 based on impressions of a 2008, and several of the changes left me with a bad taste in my mouth for months (ash tray). However, our tradeoff came with a wickedly re sculpted hood and the new iDrive that I gladly trade my ash tray for.

I can certainly understand the pain...I personally wouldn't have expected BMW to dramatically change something like the radio between model years.

Not sure there is much you can do about it, but I would encourage you to take your car out and drive it until you feel better. I know the sound of the engine always makes me feel better.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: '10 328xi
The radio issue is a rather annoying downgrade to base specs. In my case, I had driven a 2009 328xi and gave the stereo a loud and thorough run-through (with iDirve/Nav). I decided to wait 6 months to buy and we were into MY 2010 when I made my return to the dealership in November. Unfortunately, all of the -xi models with NAV also had Logic7 stereo upgrade and I only heard that stereo. I did not think to ask if the base system was downgraded. I am starting to realize that most salesman in the VA area do not know much about the 3-series that they are selling. Having to track changes between three Model Years in under a year does not help things.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
I'm not going to defend BMW (my personal take has always been that some decontenting has occurred, along with some nice additions) but I will say that you can't tell jack from the pictures posted in this thread. The idea that BMW has somehow cheapened the seats and steering wheel based on the photos is pretty silly.

My neighbor has a pre-LCI 328i (I think it is a 2007) and I have a 2009. Other than the chrome add-ons in mine, I don't see a shred of difference in seat quality, dash composition, etc. Just to be clear what I am saying here - no changes whatsoever - not even subtle changes.