Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i longroof 5spd
Quotes seem right?/DIY Opportunities

Hey all. I just posted a thread a little while ago asking about things to look out for. Well, I've had my X3 inspected and there's a few major jobs I need to take care of. However, I don't think I can do all of them time-wise and I'm trying to decide which job to let the shop take care of.

They have quoted me the following:

Coolant expansion tank and related parts: $890+Tax
Crankcase vent valve, intake manifold runner motor and related hoses: $1571+Tax
Valve Cover gasket leaking oil and clean oil residue after repair: $428+Tax
Oil filter housing leak: $548+Tax

First off, do these seem like reasonable prices? I would like to do the expansion tank by myself but they have recommended changing the retainer (necessary?) as well as three hoses (upper rad, lower expansion tank, and "connecting pipe"" - no idea what the last is supposed to be).

Other than that, I'd also like to do the Oil filter housing and valve cover gasket if those are reasonable DIYs and save the Intake work for them. Does this seem reasonable or all of these something I should be able to take care of in a reasonable amount of time.

I have weekends to work on this and no matter what I'm doing the expansion tank first. So basically, I'm thinking should it be doable to do those three jobs over the course of about 12 hours (two six hour days). Or should I just suck it up and try to do the intake as well.
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2017, 02:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
Which year X3?

Old 01-12-2017, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
I've done 2 of those repairs on my old 2003 x5. The valve cover job is fairly easy. The oil filter housing is not easy. I wouldn't attempt it unless your skill level goes to the level of brake jobs and axle repair at least.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:14 AM

Surry, forgot to mention. It's an 05 3.0
Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltesefalcon View Post
I've done 2 of those repairs on my old 2003 x5. The valve cover job is fairly easy. The oil filter housing is not easy. I wouldn't attempt it unless your skill level goes to the level of brake jobs and axle repair at least.
Well, I've rebuilt two engines with some help in the past but oddly enough, have never had to do a full brake job ha so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:14 AM

Watch videos on YouTube of each procedure for the m54 engine and decide if they are something you want to tackle. I have an n52 so can't really offer any more relevant advice other than if you have a free weekend why not just dig in.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
20 percent for parts and you'll save loads with DIY

> factor about 20 percent of that quote for you own top spec diy parts

>follow fifties saloon car M54 engine videos for all those DIYs .....plus dig up the BAVAUTO youtubes for the CCV .....it's very very clear and good......get to know your X and you'll save beaucoup.....group the oil filter housing and CCV jobs together ....not rocket science....just simple plumbing

>negotiate with after market parts folks for best price/free shipping or wait for sale prices

DIY = 1/4 Coolant expansion tank and related parts: $890+Tax.... with new bmw hoses or if hoses are good just swap O rings

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCml...UnUXrZw/videos

Crankcase vent valve, intake manifold runner motor and related hoses: $1571+Tax

DIY =1/4 - 1/3 ....also ....what is runner motor ?????

Valve Cover gasket leaking oil and clean oil residue after repair: $428+Tax

DIY =1/4 cost ....BUT .....great opportunity to swap plugs and or coils

Oil filter housing leak: $548+Tax

DIY =1/25 th cost ....just buy the 20 buck VITON gasket from BAVAUTO and DIY with the manifold off to do the CCV

best wishes .....also ....DIY SAVES BIG ON TAXXES !
Old 01-12-2017, 06:02 AM

Diy

CCV

how the CCV works and fails

Last edited by swampX3; 01-12-2017 at 06:06 AM. Reason: ad text
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 AM

DIY .....oil filter housing

Old 01-12-2017, 06:08 AM

DIY inlet manifold and CCV

>BAVAUTO CCV ...excellent

Last edited by swampX3; 01-12-2017 at 06:12 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 AM

DIT expansion tank etc

follow the good advice in swapping out the auto transmission thermostat at the bottom of the expansion tank and maybe the coolant level sensor too

http://blog.bavauto.com/10737/bmw-m5...-to-e46-x3-x5/

Last edited by swampX3; 01-12-2017 at 06:15 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-12-2017, 06:18 AM

links for coolant hose O rings

>if the coolant hoses are good just swap the O rings

http://www.bmpdesign.com/category-exec/category_id/16/

eBay bmw O rings .....very good too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Coolant-...0/321256743605

Last edited by swampX3; 01-12-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:24 AM

This is all fantastic help. It seems like I can lump the valve cover, intake overhaul, and oil filter housing into one job. If I can source the parts l just night have the shop do the expansion tank and me the rest for times sake.

I'll update this thread with my progress!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:27 AM

I would think that the expansion tank would be the easiest one to do yourself.

Use only oem parts:

Getbmwparts.com
Ecstuning.com

Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4 View Post
I would think that the expansion tank would be the easiest one to do yourself.

Use only oem parts:

Getbmwparts.com
Ecstuning.com
I did think that myself. However, if I'm doing the other jobs myself, I reasonably can do them all at once. I'm still going back and forth on it. Still may do it on my own.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
I did all these back in the day on my E46.. not in one go but over the course of 2-3 years...

Coolant expansion tank and related parts: Easy, at the very top can be done one evening without much trouble or tools.
Crankcase vent valve, intake manifold runner motor and related hoses: Is this CCV? If so, not bad minimal stuff again to be removed sometimes its hard to fish the new tubes through certain areas but again was done probably in 3-4hours.
Valve Cover gasket leaking oil and clean oil residue after repair: Not bad at all, just has a quite a few bolts to remove and being carefully how its all put back/seated.
Oil filter housing leak: $5 gasket, tedious work as lots needs to be removed, cleaned etc. this is probably a weekend job if you want to do it right/clean up everything.

Your total up there is $3400+ tax, I would never in the right mind pay that much..

OFHG gasket was $5-$10
expansion tank was $100
new coolant $40
CCV cold climate version was $150
valve cover gasket & new seals your looking at $70

Thats under $400 right there and those are OEM parts, except maybe the valve cover gasket was reinz if I recall. Spread that over 2-3 weekends.. and a savings of $3k? No brainer.

Last edited by jeepo23; 02-01-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM

So, apparently, an intake manifold runner motor is the DISA check valve aka the Intake Manifold Runner Valve aka Adjusting Unit for Intake Manifold (depends on who you ask apparently).
Old 01-12-2017, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmille4 View Post
So, apparently, an intake manifold runner motor is the DISA check valve aka the Intake Manifold Runner Valve aka Adjusting Unit for Intake Manifold (depends on who you ask apparently).

Ah the DISA! That couldn't be any easier, I had my flapper snap on my old E46 last year bought a kit on amazon for like $30 and fixed it up took like one hour tops. To remove, bring in the house and so the kit and put back on car.

Very simple, prob the easiest out of the tasks on his list.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-31-2017, 12:14 PM

So! I said I would update here and update I will!

Completed the Valve Cover gasket + new plugs and expansion tank/retainer bracket replacement jobs on my own on Sunday. The valve cover gasket actually wasn't too hard to do but was a little tedious. Also, putting it on and taking it off without taking the charcoal filter housing off above it is a pain. I would recommend removing that first to anyone doing this job.

The expansion tank.... now that job turned into a most trying endeavour. The tank I purchased apparently was ever so slightly different than the original. I assembled the whole thing and it leaked. Reassembled and it leaked AGAIN. Turns out, when inserting your expansion tank, there is a small piece that slides on to the retainer bracket. Firstly, I was forced in to re-using an o-ring (bad bad bad I know) from the old tank because the new one didn't come with one. If this piece doesn't seat properly at the same time as the main t-stat port next to it, you will develop a huge leak. Which I did. So I ended up assembling the retainer bracket and expansion tank outside of the car to ensure proper fitment and then installed the whole assembly.

Next up, the PCV system and oil filter housing gasket.

The PCV system, I actually took Monday off to perform this job (this is my wife's DD so I took her to work, had from 10-3 to perform the job,). Turns out the hose clamps and throttle body got the best of me. I managed to get all the way down to the throttle body, get it removed (WARNING, the BavAuto video does NOT mention the fifth nut you must remove that connects the conduit box to the throttle body!), and started taking PCV hoses off when I realized I was completely out of time. So this basically turned into a dry run, since I reassembled everything from here. Hey, new throttle body gasket in, new intake boot in and new DISA gasket.

Speaking of the DISA gasket, is there a trick to getting all of the old one out? It had turned into a sticky goo and I was able to scrape most of it out. Also, I was unable to get the pin out to replace the flapper, and now it's making noise so I feel like I broke something. Is there a trick to getting that pin out? I have watched a bunch of videos and some people look like the cut the plastic off that surrounds the pin. I'm not sure that's right though.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 325i, 328ci, X3
Get 2nd or 3rd opinion

The price you've posted is more of a shop pricing. I would definitely seek 2nd and 3rd opinion from the people that work on BMW. The 3.0 liter engine is a little harder than the 2.5 liter engine. However, all of this is doable with some mechanic inclined person... Even a backyard mechanic can definitely do this. They priced them for you to pick and choose which one you'd like to have it done rather than a project itself. Meaning, the Oil Filter Housing can probably done with the Valve cover gasket and the Crankcase vent valve, intake manifold runner motor and related hoses. It would make a lot of sense if these items done together since certain parts will be off and near the area. Let's say the Oil Filter Housing is off, that would make accessing the crankcase vent valve a lot easier the high oil pressure hose will be off for the valve cover gasket, which is near the oil filter housing and such.

I would go back and negotiate the whole entire estimate if I were you. See what needed right at this moment and deal with that one first if you can't or not able to negotiate for a better price.

If the valve cover is not leaking bad, I would wait so you can do the work yourself. The oil filter housing leakage and the expansion tank leakage can be fatal, so that might go before the crankcase work.

Not sure where you live, I am sure you can find an Enthusiast BMW person can help you with this and charge you 60-70 % less than this quote and give you an opportunity to learn by watching and friendship all at the same time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jay
Old 02-01-2017, 02:06 PM

Good thoughts all around. As I mentioned right before you posted. I managed to do the valve cover and the expansion tank on my own. My biggest enemy is my time management. While I consider myself very mechanically inclined, I suffer from occasional bouts of impatience and ambitions that outweigh my budget and tools.

In any case, next on my list is the CCV and oil filter housing gasket, as I was able to get about halfway through the CCV system before I had to turn tail and reassemble due to time constraints.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 325i, 328ci, X3
That's awesome. Yeah, time is the essence.

Best of luck and let us know the outcome.

Jay
Old 03-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Sorry to resurrect my month and a half old thread but I'm coming back to say the jobs are complete!

The PCV hoses were a huge pain at first. I worked late into the night, fired it up, and it ran like crap. So I admitted defeat and Uber'd home from the garage I'm borrowing. Took two days off that week and came back and it turns out working in the dark at night is a terrible idea. I had simply misaligned the hoses and some weren't fully connected. DUHHHHHMMMM

The OFHG wasn't too bad a job but getting down there requires a little more digging than I expected. I didn't have time to clean the whole thing but I don't think it's leaking anymore! Whooo!

All said and done, I think I kinda like the M54 engine in it's 2.5 Liter and 3.0 Liter forms.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 AM
M54 for life

Mein Auto: 04 Z4 3.0
Thanks for the followup and congratulations on a job well-done!

In my opinion, the M54 is the last BMW engine that can be reasonably repaired by a home mechanic. Subsequent engines are too computerized and exotic (e.g. torque to yield fasteners, magnesium blocks, direct injection, electronic waterpump).

Last edited by sudoer; 03-28-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:27 AM

M54 forever !

>good ending to the fixit saga ...well done for persevering

>also ....don't be put off by the later engines ......they do have some big stuff like the blocks that get scrapped etc but DIY'ers with some stepped up laptop skill can easily handle loads of the jobs on them....best wishes

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search