Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Manual Transmission Oil

I have 99,500 miles on my 2009 MT X3. At 44,000 miles I changed the manual tranny oil from OE to Redline MTL. Yesterday after 55,000 miles on the MTL I drained the oil into a spotless, light colored, drain pan so I could get a good look at the wear of the tranny. What I found was no perceptible steel from gear wear and only few flecks of "yellow metal" from the syncro's. I couldn't be more pleased!

I originally changed to the thicker MTL partly on the advice of some well respected BMW tranny builders and Mike Miller. With the thinner oil I was also getting some very pronounced "gear rattle" at idle with the clutch out that totally went away with the MTL. One caveat is that it shifts a little balky when cold with the thicker oil but it's never bothered me and totally goes away when it warms up.

I've included the original article that took me down the road to begin with.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Redline MTL vs ATF.pdf (73.9 KB, 460 views)
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 AM
spokelizard spokelizard is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 761
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I read the article, thanks!

Which Red Line did you use?

The article praises BMW MTL-LT-2 synthetic gear oil. I'd be inclined to stick with OEM based on that, any thoughts?

My personal maintenance plan is to change gear oil every 30K miles, so I have another change coming up in about 5K miles.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
I read the article, thanks!

Which Red Line did you use?

The article praises BMW MTL-LT-2 synthetic gear oil. I'd be inclined to stick with OEM based on that, any thoughts?

My personal maintenance plan is to change gear oil every 30K miles, so I have another change coming up in about 5K miles.
The oil I use is Redline's MTL.

The oil I drained out which was the later MTF-LT3 actually felt and looked good at 44,000 miles. The biggest reason I changed was because my car is driven in the brutal Florida heat much of the time and I was getting very pronounced gear rattle. I actually talked to a rep from Redline and they told me that they did not recommend MTL but their D6ATF. I went against them because I was more concerned with lubrication than ease of shifting.

I'm on a fixed income and COLA never keeps up so I'm trying to make this my last car (and payment). Like Murray Fowler I want to be driving the same car when I'm 80.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 PM
spokelizard spokelizard is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 761
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Like Murray Fowler I want to be driving the same car when I'm 80.
Nice video!

Sometime I think this may be the last car I buy, or at least the last BMW. I really enjoy MT and the trend is definitely away from that. The new X3 doesn't offer MT.

Hey, if I can get 400K+ miles out of this car, it may very well be my last car! But I'm not sure that this car will have the same longevity as Murray's.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
Hey, if I can get 400K+ miles out of this car, it may very well be my last car! But I'm not sure that this car will have the same longevity as Murray's.
Murray is not on his original engine and I'm fully prepared to replace whatever is required to keep mine on the road as well. I think they are well designed, safe, dependable, economical, practical, and comfortable vehicles that are also a lot of fun to drive. My X3 is without a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned. And I've owned too many to count.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM
spokelizard spokelizard is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 761
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Yeah, I looked at the website and see he replaced the engine at 375K miles Should have asked the dealer for a goodwill fix

I'll modify my original statement to say I'll be happy if I can get 374K miles out of my X3!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
Yeah, I looked at the website and see he replaced the engine at 375K miles Should have asked the dealer for a goodwill fix

I'll modify my original statement to say I'll be happy if I can get 374K miles out of my X3!
I've done some research on Alusil and it's considerably harder than steel and with the recessions between the silicon crystals ability to hold oil I'm actually thinking that the block itself will outlast a traditional block with steel liners. Our entire valve train runs on rollers so there will be no cam, lifter or follower wear. So I suspect that with regular oil changes our engines may very well last that long. At least that's my hope.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-21-2012, 11:14 AM
X3-terrestrial's Avatar
X3-terrestrial X3-terrestrial is offline
Aficionado
Location: N.Miss - Memphis,TN Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,634
Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
I have 99,500 miles on my 2009 MT X3. At 44,000 miles I changed the manual tranny oil from OE to Redline MTL. Yesterday after 55,000 miles on the MTL I drained the oil into a spotless, light colored, drain pan so I could get a good look at the wear of the tranny. What I found was no perceptible steel from gear wear and only few flecks of "yellow metal" from the syncro's. I couldn't be more pleased!

I originally changed to the thicker MTL partly on the advice of some well respected BMW tranny builders and Mike Miller. With the thinner oil I was also getting some very pronounced "gear rattle" at idle with the clutch out that totally went away with the MTL. One caveat is that it shifts a little balky when cold with the thicker oil but it's never bothered me and totally goes away when it warms up.

I've included the original article that took me down the road to begin with.
usaret, thanks for posting this article. It has encouraged me to try it on my M3. I changed the tranny oil a month ago and I used the recommended ATF fluid (yes, ATF fluid in a manual gearbox, I know...)and started grinding when shifted 4>3.
I think it might have had a thicker oil in there before because it was shifting great. Don't get me wrong, it shifts awesome and smooth now with the exception of rather aggressive shifts from 4th to 3rd.
Several people adviced to try MTL, and now I think I'll give it a try.
__________________
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti.

___________________
River City Bimmers BMW CCA
2005 X3 3.0i ZPP, Htd seats, Htd strng, Black Sapphire on Terracotta.
1995 ///M3 Coupe, Lux, MT, Htd seats, Cosmos Black on Black.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
usaret, thanks for posting this article. It has encouraged me to try it on my M3. I changed the tranny oil a month ago and I used the recommended ATF fluid (yes, ATF fluid in a manual gearbox, I know...)and started grinding when shifted 4>3.
I think it might have had a thicker oil in there before because it was shifting great. Don't get me wrong, it shifts awesome and smooth now with the exception of rather aggressive shifts from 4th to 3rd.
Several people adviced to try MTL, and now I think I'll give it a try.
You're welcome. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about putting it in my X3 but I now have no regrets whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-29-2014, 12:44 PM
VenkatV VenkatV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern Virginia
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 316
Mein Auto: 07 X3 6MT
I am planning to tackle this in a week or two. Can someone please advice how many quarts to buy for the ZF 6 speed manual transmission GS6X37BZ?

Debating to get the highly regarded Redline MTL or D6ATF as per recommendation from Redline site. Decisions Decisions..
__________________
07 Crimson Red X3 6-Speed
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-29-2014, 01:49 PM
kenza kenza is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Santiago, Chile
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 634
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
I just replaced my MT oil, it took less than 2 quarts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-29-2014, 02:50 PM
VenkatV VenkatV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern Virginia
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 316
Mein Auto: 07 X3 6MT
Thank you kenza.
__________________
07 Crimson Red X3 6-Speed
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms