Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530I
Bentley Manual Reference for CCV?

Can't find a word in the manual about CCV. Is it not covered or do I not know where to look? Have read DIYs about changing CCV components and how difficult access is. Wondering if it would be worth the trouble to remove my intake manifold to avoid aggravation while creating more work?
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
There is no need to remove the intake to make this job happen--just a lot of added work. I do recomend thought that you do this job the way I will discribe. Buy the new Besian Vanos seals and a new valve cover gasket--along with a new oil filter housing gasket and the cvv and the 4 hoses that go with it.
Now dot the Vanos seal change along with the oil filter housing gasket--before replacing the filter gasket
do the ccv job while you have the oil housing out of the way and can get to everything with ease--you will still need to remove the air intake system and all -along with the throttlebody and electrical junction box thats located nearby--doing the job this way gets you into the tight spots with ease--will take about the same time as removing the intake, but this will be easy compared to removing the intake and fuel injection and all.
Along with that , you will benifit for replacing parts that will be ready to be replaced anyway and added performance is another point--if you haven't replaced the cooling system--this would be a good time to do that job as well--if you do all the above with the cooling system--a good sat and sunday job --easy wrenching
Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
You're right, Bentley has nothing on replacing the CCV. Here's the CCV DIY for an M54:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...240&highlight=
Old 02-22-2010, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530I
Thanks for the replies. I do plan to do all the DIYs mentioned as one big project once the weather warms up. Two weeks ago replaced my radiator which sprung a pin-hole leak in the classic spot on the upper hose spout. Also will pull bumper and headlights to get at my aux fan which runs ok, but draws current from my battery all day and all night when the car should be "asleep."