Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Coolant Leak

Well, a few weeks ago I replaced the radiator, expansion tank and thermostat housing on my 99 528i because it was getting to the time when it probably needed it. Things have been fine. But, this evening I found a pool of coolant on the garage floor, like quite a lot of it and everything is wet up front on the driver's side. When I did the overhaul I did not change the plastic conection between the top radiator hose and the thermostat housing because it didn't come with the parts. The leak, at least what I can see is coming from a nipple on the top of that connector with a cross shaped indentation on the top of it. What is that and what do you suppose that is all about? Should I have changed that short connection also? Thanks for the info ahead of time.
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
that is a bleeder valve. the cross shape is for a phillips driver. either screw it down some, if it turns with little pressure, if it doesn't turn, it's already tight, and you need a new one.
this valve is for bleeding air out of the system, check cn90's cooling overhaul, and you'll see it in the photo's.
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I tightened it down a little and the leak got worse. I am guessing that means I need a new one. Can I get just that valve to screw in or do I need to find the whole conection?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
livin the 'Fest

yes, you can get form the dealer for a few bucks. but make sure that the nipple(the part where the screw goes in) doesn't have a hair line crack down the sides. when mine was bad, i got a new screw, and the nipple had a hair line crack in it. one way you can find out is, take the screw out of the expansion tank, and swtich it with the one on the houseing, start car and let warm up, and check the houseing for a leak. and don't tighten down the screw too much, that's how i cracked mine.
:
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM

Thanks, I'll be careful. It looks like this one is leaking directly out of the top of the valve in the center of the cross.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 AM

I definitely need a new bleeder valve. Tinkering with it a little more and the top just twisted off. The problem now is how to extract the rest of it safely from the nipple without cracking the connection or damaging the threads. I guess I also need to decide whether or not to take it apart again and replace the entire connector which I didn't do during the overhaul. They all looked and seemed solid. But, looking at this valve I can really see what people are talking about when they describe the failed parts in the cooling system as being "like mush".
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Here is more information about the failed parts of the cooling system.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 AM

Thanks. As long as I'm doing it, I'm just going to change the fittings on both ends of the top radiator hose to be safe. They are the same age as that bleeder screw so chances are they are reaching the end of their life also. Unfortunately, I'll have to order them from a dealer in Seattle so I'll be layed up for a few days. Oh Well, the hubs are still turned in on the Nissan truck maybe I'll go for a ride in the mountains to forget about my car.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 PM
livin the 'Fest

the same thing happen to me, the top, finial broke off, i took a drill to the part left in, but, in the end no matter how carefull i was, the nipple just cracked. of corse it told me after i got everthing back together. i ended up replaceint the whole thing. it came with a new screw, i never touched, i just bleed air out at the expansion tank.
:
Old 02-25-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lild View Post
i just bleed air out at the expansion tank.
Just for the record, I think the newer E39s only have one bleed screw (near the thermostat). I think the older ones (like those that you have, 1997 for example), do have a second bleeder screw on the expansion tank.

I'm suitably forwarned not to TOUCH that bleeder screw unless I have a second-string replacement in the other hand waiting for its chance at varsity action!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
Don't you have to remove that bleed screw if you're going to remove &/or replace the tank?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Just for the record, I think the newer E39s only have one bleed screw (near the thermostat). I think the older ones (like those that you have, 1997 for example), do have a second bleeder screw on the expansion tank.

I'm suitably forwarned not to TOUCH that bleeder screw unless I have a second-string replacement in the other hand waiting for its chance at varsity action!

Not true. Mine is a 2003. I have 2 bleeder screws: One on top of the rad (expansion tank) and one on the upper hose. The one on the upper hose (fat hose) is the one you usually use to bleed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoang View Post
Don't you have to remove that bleed screw if you're going to remove &/or replace the tank?
Yes, you have to remove it.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 02-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to tmoftw
Mein Auto: 1998 540i/6 Premium Sport
i have the same issue on my 540, the radiator and included stuff is only 12,000 mi. old, and i just got back from hawaii(i include this cause my car was sitting for 9 days) and in the garage there was a small puddle of coolant under the passenger side by the wheel kinda but more towards the middle of the front end. its not a huge leak but i can see there is coolant stain on my undercarrage cover so it was going for a while. is this where the bleeder is on a 540 or is that a different prob??
Old 02-25-2010, 01:20 PM

New parts are in! Yea ole Bimmer will be running for the weekend. In the mean time, I used a hot glue gun to seal off the hole where the bleeder screw broke off. It worked fine for the second string and a short run solution.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 AM

It just happened to me!