Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.01
Z3 - Key Remote Programming (has anyone tried this?)

Hi - I just purchased my first Z3 (3.0i 2001)... I have one transponder key, but want a duplicate just in case... Anyhow - after researching a bunch, going to Lockworld, and contacting a few locksmiths in SF (who all said they couldn't do it), I thought I was at a deadend and ultimately would have to go to the BMW dealership to get a dupe... but then I came across this BMW Z3 Transponder Remote Programming Guide, and was wondering if anyone has had success in programming their transponders using these steps... Please let me know. Any advice appreciated. FWIW - I am not car-savvy technical. Thanks! Julie
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster and coupe
I have an '02 with the dealer installed BMW system which is actually made by Alpine. I used the instructions in this thread to program a new one. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...198&highlight=

Step #10 is if you have multiple transponders to program.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3
The transponder chip is attached to the key. So you need another key from the dealer. Reprogramming will not help. Costs about $75 in San Jose.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: z3
GB5416 was explaining how to program the key fob to work with the BMW alarm. That has nothing to do with getting a second back up key.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
You can clone an existing key who's transponder is already programed to your car....... or Dealer only for a spare.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster
Thumbs up Key Coding for Z3

Reference key coding. Once you have been able to obtain a key from a dealer by supplying your VIN (I bought mine in Germany) for your Z3 then coding is simple as follows:

1. Unlock car and hop into car and close driver's door
2. Switch ignition on and off
3. Remove key from ignition switch
4. Press and hold unlock button on remote
5. Press lock on remote briefly 3 times within 10 seconds
6. Release unlock
7. Car gives signal that key is now working (LED flashes or door locks unlock)

This is also the procedure you must use when changing the battery on your remote so that you dont have to have the dealer do it. It works as I have personally changed batteries on my 2 remotes and configured the additional remote I bought in Germany.

John from Australia
Old 04-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Remote programming

I just purchased another key from my dealer and they taught me how to program them. The previous post about putting the key in and pressing the buttons is correct. I will add, however, that if you have a second key to program, do not put it into the ignition but do the button pushing as described. If you put the second key into the ignition, it changes the code and the first key won't work.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
antlisa

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster
Hi All I just purchased a new key from the dealer as the old remote was a bit worn and did not work. So I order a new one for 229 bucks and the dealer could not program it. I tried and can get it to unlock the doors but not lock... Any suggestions as to what the problem could be... Thanks Lisa

Z3 2001 2.5