Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
'Fest Advisor

Mein Auto: BMWs and other fine cars
Windows and Sunroof Opened by Themselves When Car Was Off

This is not a joke...Earlier today, my car was off in the garage with all the windows closed (it's the middle of winter here). About an hour later, I go in the garage and find that the driver and passenger window were completely down and the moonroof was completely retracted. I have no idea how that can happen. I have a 2 week old 2010 335i Coupe.

Before any smart a**es comment: no, I did not forget if they were up or down when I left the car (again, it's the middle of winter); no, no one was playing a practical joke (there was no one to do that); no, no one broke into the garage; no, I was not sleep walking and accidentally opened the windows.

Anyone have any idea how in the world this could happen? Has it happened to anyone else? I am totally baffled...and freaked out because what it the car was not in the garage? Anyone could have opened the doors and stolen all the contents in the car or the car itself.
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
If the unlock button is held down it will cause the windows and sunroof to open. Your fob button was probably getting pressed by something. It has happened to quite a few 'festers.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I Know Nothing

Mein Auto: '10 E92 335i
Happened to me about a month ago. I was baffled until I was working in the garage a few days later and, while leaning up against my workbench, I heard the windows go down. Turns out I was accidentally pressing the fob in my pocket up against the bench, which will cause the windows and sunroof to open. I'm thinking the earlier incident had something to do with this feature as well.

Perhaps it could explain what happened to you as well?

2010 E92 335i
2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2007 E93 328i (Sold)
2002 Ford Focus SVT (Sold)
2001 Ford SVT Lightning (Sold)
1983 BMX (Totaled... Twice)
Old 02-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
here's your smart azz answer....

pretty common question... no it's not some mysterious electronic bug, something actvated your unlock button.....
Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
here's your smart azz answer....
There is always one! I tried googling "My 335i coupe is possessed", but I only came up with a bunch of Toyota and Lexus hits!

I'll try the unlock hold on the key fob and see if I can reproduce it. Still, a scary "feature" of the key fob. Thanks for all the quick responses.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:47 PM
'Fest Advisor

You guys were right . What's interesting is that the windows start going down after only 3 seconds of holding the unlock button.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Yeah, need to make this a sticky, LOL.

The funny thing is, this happened to me once too when my car was new, and I thought somebody was playing a trick on me. 5 seconds on google solved that.

GIYF, people.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
GIYF, people.
True, but again, google anything about cars being "possessed" or "having a mind of their own" now and you get links to Toyota cars!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
There is always one! I tried googling "My 335i coupe is possessed", but I only came up with a bunch of Toyota and Lexus hits!

I'll try the unlock hold on the key fob and see if I can reproduce it. Still, a scary "feature" of the key fob. Thanks for all the quick responses.
You mean re-badged Toyota's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
You guys were right . What's interesting is that the windows start going down after only 3 seconds of holding the unlock button.
I have a black-on-black coupe that gets REAL warm in the summer. But, this feature solves that problem. As I walk out of my office building, I hold the button down. The windows and roof open as soon as I'm close enough, and the interior temperature of the car is acceptable by the time I open the door and sit down. It's a nice feature.

George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 02-27-2010, 04:09 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
You mean re-badged Toyota's?
Why, of course! What else would I be referring to?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Why, of course! What else would I be referring to?
Audi's....which are re-badged VW's....
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 PM
'Fest Advisor

Rolls Royce...rebadged BMW. Porsche...rebadged Beetle.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
Yeah, need to make this a sticky, LOL.

The funny thing is, this happened to me once too when my car was new, and I thought somebody was playing a trick on me.
Ditto. It's happened at least once, maybe twice. I sometimes have to be conscious of my fob if my pockets are full.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Optional Poltergeist Package (ZPPP)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42

09-29-2008

I guess I dodged the bullet on this one!

We had very heavy rain last night.

I know about the apparently spontaneous opening of the sunroof and windows caused by inadvertently pressing the button on the remote. I have the leather key fobs which can prevent this from happening, or so I've heard.

This morning I went outside and the windows and sunroof were completely open. This must have happened after the rain stopped because everything was pretty dry -- but I had been nowhere near the car until I made the discovery this morning.

I'm starting to think this car is haunted, and it seems to attract trouble like Velcro attracts lint. In 1400 miles, I've already had an insurance claim (somebody's shopping cart rolled into the car) and a chipped windshield.

Anyone know anything about a German exorcism rituals?
___
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 02-27-2010, 07:51 PM
'Fest Advisor

^^That's kind of how I felt when I first started this thread.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Optional Poltergeist Package (ZPPP) (Requires batteries?)

Received the low key fob battery warning, replaced the batteries in my fobs -- and it just happened again!

Do ZPPP poltergeists need fresh batteries?
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw lx5 3.0
I was walking away from my car last night and the same thing happens to me my car was off and my windows open I have a 2001 x5 did u fix the problem post me back if u did
Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
This happened to me once when the FOB was sitting upstairs on my nightstand, out of range of the car. It was strange.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 AM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
Nuts. I'm a noob to the forums and just found out about this feature with the unlock button from a friend last week. I was hoping to actually submit an answer and regain a sense of relevance! On the bright side, you know something new about your car.

I think my car may be haunted, too...it seems to take control of the accelerator and go fast all the time, whether I want it to or, well...I want it to.

Best of luck with the errant pushes against the button. That could be a real mess in the rain.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335 ix
I had the same thing with my Garage door.... I would get into my car in the morning and find my garage door open, knowing full well that I had closed it the night before... thinking it was a faulty unit I replaced it(which was probably a mid 90's model, so needed to be replaced anyways).

A few days after the install, the same thing happened with the new one... found out it was because I was keeping the garage remotes in my "junk" drawer in the kitchen (since I have homelink on both my cars) which happens to be over the garage. When shuffling through the drawer, would accidentally press the button.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
I found out about this feature when it was raining
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)