Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: x5
diesel X5 whining noise

Is a high-pitch whining noise normal when a cold car is accelerating?

The noise is most conspicuous when the car is accelerating from stop, does not seem to be there when the car's standing still even when push the gas pedal on neutral. Noise goes away in 10-15 mins after the car warms up. Is it the turbo charger or smth in the transmission/suspension? Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
I never had that issue with mine. Something doesn't sound right...

Craig
Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Not from my X5d. I am listening for such as I hear it form my iPod mp3's sometimes. How many miles do you have? Is it a/c-heat dependent?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM

The car is new, about 100 miles. Haven't tried it w/o heater, but the noise seems to be related to when the car's moving, like an echoing whine after a gear shift at low speeds. Not that loud, but discernable: first time I thought it was a police siren far away. It seems to 'disappear' at higher speeds, maybe just because other things kick in and I don't hear it. It's mostly gone altogether after about 10 mins of driving.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Turbo spooling will produce a whining noise when accelerating, but it should not be loud, definitely not enough for you to think it's a police siren...
Old 03-03-2010, 06:44 AM

Turbo spooling noise shouldn't diminish with operating temperature, should it?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calif11 View Post
Turbo spooling noise shouldn't diminish with operating temperature, should it?
No, take it to the dealer. Something isn't right...

Craig
Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 550i, X5
Give it a little time, I had a small whine when new , stopped after about 1000 miles, No noise since.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
And not one girlfriend/wife reference.....
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM

I tested the noise more, and apparently it's not related to motion but to RPMs (sorry, not to a wife/girlfriend :-). When at idle, pushing to about 2K RPMs or higher produces a slight whining/howling echo, not loud, but noticeable (to others in the car). When warm, this echo is completely gone. Question is whether it's normal operational noise of a turbocharger when cold?

Incidentally, a washer fluid warning came up after 100 miles from the dealer lot and never using washers. Isn't the washer fluid level sensor supposed to work continuously?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I tested the noise more, and apparently it's not related to motion but to RPMs (sorry, not to a wife/girlfriend :-). When at idle, pushing to about 2K RPMs or higher produces a slight whining/howling echo, not loud, but noticeable (to others in the car). When warm, this echo is completely gone. Question is whether it's normal operational noise of a turbocharger when cold?

Incidentally, a washer fluid warning came up after 100 miles from the dealer lot and never using washers. Isn't the washer fluid level sensor supposed to work continuously?
They have had problems with either the lines leaking, or the tank. Take it to the dealer and let them take a look at it...

Craig
Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
They have had problems with either the lines leaking, or the tank. Take it to the dealer and let them take a look at it...

Craig
Thx
Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Thx
You're welcome and good luck...

Craig
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
Quote:

I've had the whining/howling on mine intermittently but more when the engine is cold. I happen to believe it is(are) the turbo(s). IIRC, the UK X5 Forum has noted this on several occasions. I just go easy on it when cold and I've always thought/heard that if a noise is only there when cold, it probably isn't worth worrying about anyway. That is unless it gets progressively worse.

BTW, if you want to increase the life of yours turbos keep the oil changed more regularly than BMW wants you to and let your diesel idle for a minute or two after a hard drive.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesaroo View Post
I've had the whining/howling on mine intermittently but more when the engine is cold. I happen to believe it is(are) the turbo(s). IIRC, the UK X5 Forum has noted this on several occasions. I just go easy on it when cold and I've always thought/heard that if a noise is only there when cold, it probably isn't worth worrying about anyway. That is unless it gets progressively worse.

BTW, if you want to increase the life of yours turbos keep the oil changed more regularly than BMW wants you to and let your diesel idle for a minute or two after a hard drive.
Thanks. It sounds like turbo spooling whine, but I'd like to find out why noise reduces with temp. Also, strange that it's so loud that everyone notices it. Maybe something else on top of turbo, such as a loose belt, etc. Hard to believe things like that would come up on a new bmw, but I just saw a puddle of washer fluid under my car (i.e. leaking like crazy), so nothing is implossible even with a $50+K new X5
Old 03-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 XDrive 35d
Well, I listened carefully to mine this AM when I went to work. I did notice a whining sound as well. Not too loud, and not bothersome at all..... I think it is probably gears whining. It does go away when warm. I have 13k mi on mine and it runs perfectly. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: '07 e92 335i, '10 x5 35d
I have a little turbo noise, my Saab is the same way (albeit its a '91 9000 with 310k miles, original engine and turbo) it goes away after a minute or 2 for me, probably just has to do with the oils properties when cold, i wouldn't get too concerned.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLausch View Post
I have a little turbo noise, my Saab is the same way (albeit its a '91 9000 with 310k miles, original engine and turbo) it goes away after a minute or 2 for me, probably just has to do with the oils properties when cold, i wouldn't get too concerned.
Thx for your replies!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 Sport
Smile

It may well be caused by an air leak in the induction side - manifold or intercooler. a whine can happen if one exists especially when accelerating when the engine needs lots of air. Check that all bolts and nuts are properly torqued-up and that all connections to and from the inter-cooler are secure.
When the engine warms up often the noise stops due to heat expansion closing the leak, albeit temporarily.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpomphrey View Post
It may well be caused by an air leak in the induction side - manifold or intercooler. a whine can happen if one exists especially when accelerating when the engine needs lots of air. Check that all bolts and nuts are properly torqued-up and that all connections to and from the inter-cooler are secure.
When the engine warms up often the noise stops due to heat expansion closing the leak, albeit temporarily.
Thanks. Do you know other symptoms that go with air leak besides whine (e.g. maybe significant loss of power)? Do air leaks trigger error codes on new X5?

I've just taken the car to dealer (there's a huge washer fluid leak to be fixed , and asked them to check out the whine as well.

Last edited by calif11; 03-05-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 Sport
Smile

The short answer is I believe that an air leak on the induction side of combustion can adversely affect power output, as well as the whine being very annoying to the driver and passengers.

Also, air entering the system behind the air filter may well introduce foreign objects - dust, insects et al.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpomphrey View Post
The short answer is I believe that an air leak on the induction side of combustion can adversely affect power output, as well as the whine being very annoying to the driver and passengers.

Also, air entering the system behind the air filter may well introduce foreign objects - dust, insects et al.
Not sure about diesel, but that will trip up codes on a gas motor- short and long term fuel trim CELs, and limp engine mode if excessively lean.

To the OP- my guess is simply some valve that is slightly out of spec causing a partial restriction to either air or fluid.... that resolves as it warms up. Either the valve gets warmer or the fluid does...

GL

A
Old 03-05-2010, 01:03 PM

Dealer acknowledges that noise is louder than they would explect. However, they can't provide any explanation why and suggest no action in this case.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Well, if you're still curious, since you say you can replicate the whine while parked, you could use a mechanics stethoscope and try to track down where the noise is coning from. You can buy a mechanics stethoscope for $8-20, but if you try this, be sure you don't get it into any rotating parts while checking. Might just be a piece of plastic or something touching somewhere, making a normal sound louder than normal.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Not sure about diesel, but that will trip up codes on a gas motor- short and long term fuel trim CELs, and limp engine mode if excessively lean.

To the OP- my guess is simply some valve that is slightly out of spec causing a partial restriction to either air or fluid.... that resolves as it warms up. Either the valve gets warmer or the fluid does...

GL

A
Thanks ard, if you have experience in this, is a valve out of spec smth that can lead to any failures with time? I am thinking if I should push the dealer to investigate further.