Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d
I hear it as well. It goes away after 5 minutes of driving. It seems to occur when its cold. Still drives great.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
No, I don't ... But not much experience with the d

I'd snoop around during a cold start on a weekend and try to narrow it down... Armed with that, a friendly Sa might be more likely to investigate.

From thier point of view, they can waste two hrs of a highly paid tech looking for noises, which BMWNA will pay $0 unless a bad part is found...

A
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
No, I don't ... But not much experience with the d

I'd snoop around during a cold start on a weekend and try to narrow it down... Armed with that, a friendly Sa might be more likely to investigate.

From thier point of view, they can waste two hrs of a highly paid tech looking for noises, which BMWNA will pay $0 unless a bad part is found...

A
Thanks. I think dealer must have diagnostic tools to identify sources of noise pretty quickly, especially if noise is apparent. Anyways, thank you for your feedback, I'll try to investigate more.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2010 X5 35d. Only for the first 10-15 minutes after a cold engine start, I hear a whistle/howl-like sound when I step on the accelerator pedal, as well as when i take my foot off of it. When the vehicle is accelerating (from a full stop or from cruising at low speeds) the sounds pitch gets higher and can be clearly heard until the regular engine noise becomes louder due to higher RPM. While driving, when I remove my foot from the accelerator pedal, the sound can be heard clearly again and the pitch gets lower over the next few seconds before the sound disappears. After 10-15 minutes of driving on a cold engine, the whistling/howling sound is no longer present. This sound was not present during the first 9K miles since the purchase. I've noticed it first time when I started my X5 on a morning after the vehicle's first BMW service during which alignment was performed, tires filled w/nitrogen, oil topped off due to low oil alert, and computer reprogrammed per BMW recall (SIB 120310.) Service paperwork also states "initialized DSC, steering angle sensor, and sunroof (after programming.)" I've taken the vehicle back to the BMW service regarding this issue and they said that the only thing they hear is the turbo spooling, which normally produces a whistle sound. How come this sound didn't exist during the first 9K miles of driving? Could it go away on its own?

Last edited by bokee; 07-09-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Unhappy x5 engine got big noise and white smoke come out from exhust

can some one got this experince ,my car know at workshop still chking....tks
Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X535d
I have driven a 2000 330dt for the past 5 years (290,000 kms) and I'm willing to bet that the noise you're hearing when the engine/oil are cold is the turbo. I usually let my car warm up for a bit, especially in the winter, to get a bit of temp in the block and the oil. I've also noticed that the turbo whine/whoosh is more pronounced the older the oil is, so it sounds that you all are experiencing normal operating sounds with your X5's. I have a 2011 35d on order and will pay close attention to everything after I get it. Be sure that if you have been driving it hard for a bit that you give it a couple of minutes at idle before you shut it down. That will give the turbos a chance to spool down and cool a bit and circulate cooler oil to make it's throughout the motor.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Reviving an old thread (better than opening new one! Ard will appreciate ).

I have been hearing whining sound whether I am driving on long interstate trips at around 80mph. The noise is not coming form front passenger side either (that's my wife's seat/throne).

The sound comes only when the engine has to work a little bit withouth downshifting (slight inclines, headwind). It's only there between 2200 and 2400 RPM. When driving at 80mph, I can hear it come and go by letting go of gas pedal, then applying gas. The sound disappears and comes right back after applying gas. Without music playing in the vehicle, the whine gets a bit annoying.
I have been noticing the sound for past 5K miles or so, but after switching to Conti DWS (those are quiet tires!), the sound is more noticeable now.

It's not a "whoosh" sound, or anything associated with "airy" sounds. Not a whistle.
This sound is more like continuous whine. High pitch, but not too high.
I have watched many videos on youtube of 335i with turbo problems, but that's not what I am experiencing. My vehicle has a continuous whine in that specific RPM, only under load.

At first, I thought it would be wheel bearings, but since the sound happens only under acceleration and under certain RPM, I had to rule that out.
Then, I thought it may be the drive shaft. But then, it doesn't happen in any other RPM range than 2200-2400. A bad driveshaft will whine under load regardless of RPM (I tested that throughly).

Now, I am thinking it has to be the turbo. Specifically, turbo bearings.
When you think about it, the 11 thousand mile range between oil changes probably doesn't help the turbo.
Then, there was that intercooler seal leak.
Could the leak contributed to the problem? The leak had to be there for some time. Though no big oil loss was ever detected, could the leak have clogged something internally, cutting lube supply to turbos?

Also: I have always been warming up the vehicle in the mornings - a good thing. But I can't say that the vehicle was always left idling for a little after a drive around town. Turbos need that to recover.

I am going to call the SA tomorrow (after hopefully getting some feedback here). My expectation is that I will get "it's normal" answer, which I won't accept.
My plan is to take one of their somewhat newer 35Ds, drive similar way and listen for the sound.
Unfortunately, dealers only fix (change parts for) things that are already broken - not those about to be broken. Especially on vehicles close to 50K miles.

I can reproduce the problem (I think it is a problem) by sticking to 3rd gear and going 40mph slightly uphill. That puts the engine in that 2400 RPM range where whine occurs. Hopefully that doesn't fall on foreman's deaf ears.

P.S. This doesn't help my proclivity to chose the route of not extending the warranty. Still have time to think though.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
maybe it is just a harmonic that is being transmitted through (now getting worn and sloppy) engine/transmission mounts? At that RPM you may be creating enough load/torque on the driveline to 'push' against the mounting points and the sound is coupled in....

Just one of a million possibilities. See what the BMW rep says on a drive with you...
Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Thanks, ard.
That's an interesting possibility. Could this be (fingers crossed) a sign of transmission going bad?
But then again, there is that specific RPM range. Not particular gear.
Well, my goal now is to compare the rides, and hopefully have the SA notice the difference.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM

Remembered something.
There's this long steep downhill road close to my house. Usually go there in the summer to a lake.

When coming downhill, I would put the transmission in lower gear and go at 45-50mph. RPM's would be in 3000-3500 range.
That is the sound I would hear, except with one difference: this time the sound would not be smooth and continous. The tone changes up and down. About 3 times per second.
Like something is not rotating properly.

To recap:
-smooth continous whining noise at 2400 RPM when under load. No matter what speed or gear.
-similar, but tone-changing whining noise at 3200rpm downhill when forced to lower gear. That puts the load on the transmission and engine, just in reverse.

Perhaps something in drivetrain after all..