Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-20-2003, 01:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325Ci Cabrio
Question 325 Ci Cabrio Roof problem

Here is what happened.

Got into my 2003 cabrio. Cold (5c/41F), dark, but clear evening. Pushed the Automatic Hood open button, hood started to open, then heard a big metalic crack and the hood stopped opening. Got out to see if any obstruction, was not, got back in to car, closed hood, then did the whole thing again, with no problems.

Looked at the car the next day in daylight, and there are two seperate two inch long cracks (Not scratches) in the paintwork of the outside part of the parcel shelf. Positions of cracks shown in attachment.

My theory is that the parcel shelf tried to open but the back part of the roof (with the rear window) was still in position (frozen/stuck) (the normal sequence is that the front of the roof opens slightly, then the rear window folds up firtst towards the front of the car first to then allow the parcel shelf to open). Because the rear window was still in place, the parcel shelf then buckeld slightly causing the paint cracks.

I will take it to my local dealer today to see what he thinks, but has anyone ever heard of similar incidents?

The car has only 3000 miles on the clock and is my 2nd 325Ci in 3 years. This is my first problem I have had with the type.

B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracking.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	20799  

Last edited by berlinerb; 10-20-2003 at 01:26 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2003, 04:21 AM
Not topless in NE

Mein Auto: Tripple Black '01 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinerb
Here is what happened.

Got into my 2003 cabrio. Cold (5c/41F), dark, but clear evening. Pushed the Automatic Hood open button, hood started to open, then heard a big metalic crack and the hood stopped opening. Got out to see if any obstruction, was not, got back in to car, closed hood, then did the whole thing again, with no problems.

Looked at the car the next day in daylight, and there are two seperate two inch long cracks (Not scratches) in the paintwork of the outside part of the parcel shelf. Positions of cracks shown in attachment.

My theory is that the parcel shelf tried to open but the back part of the roof (with the rear window) was still in position (frozen/stuck) (the normal sequence is that the front of the roof opens slightly, then the rear window folds up firtst towards the front of the car first to then allow the parcel shelf to open). Because the rear window was still in place, the parcel shelf then buckeld slightly causing the paint cracks.

I will take it to my local dealer today to see what he thinks, but has anyone ever heard of similar incidents?

The car has only 3000 miles on the clock and is my 2nd 325Ci in 3 years. This is my first problem I have had with the type.

B.

That sucks! I've never heard anyone else here complain of anything similar. I don't think that you need to worry though as your dealer should take care of everything.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325CiC
I remember that the owner's manual says not to open/close the top below -10C, but you should have been OK. Good luck with your dealer.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci Cabrio
Roof Problems

Took it to the dealer last night. Agreed that it was cracked. Dealer was not interested in how it happend, simply agreed to fix it under warrantee since there are only 3k on the clock and it is 3 months old.

Fixed date for repair a week thursday.

Result.

B