Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
X5 35d vs Q7 TDI

I'm a BMW devotee but before I go with the 35d, I just want to reach out to you guys to find out if I'm missing anything here on X5 35d vs Q7 TDI. From what I've seen in the forum, it feels like BMW needs to offer the ecocredit to move the 35d whereas the Q7 TDI is able to sell at a hair below MSRP. Can somebody help me understand why that's the case? I apologize in advance if this is not the right section of the forum.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
I never drove, looked at or even considered the Q7. Porsche Pepper and even the Lexus 450h were other contenders. Q7 is a big pig for me. Audi is boring. Better market for big, boring SUV's rather than sporty driver involved SAV's apparently.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: Audi R8, RS4 cab, X5 35d
So I'm a long-time Audi fan and my X5d is my first BMW. I naturally drove the Q7 first, but found it to be way to big. Interior space doesnt feel that big, but you really feel it when driving around and trying to park in lots. I cross shopped the Merc 320 bluetec but found it too soft a ride. X5 right blend of sporty and adequate size. BMW doesnt seem to be doing much at all to market thier diesels where as Audi is pouring lots of $ into add campaigns, etc. Most BMW people I know didnt even realize they were offering diesels in the US.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedah3 View Post
Most BMW people I know didn't even realize they were offering diesels in the US.

Somebody does, as the sales figures I've seen shows about 30% of X5 being bought with the diesel, since the $4,500 incentive was put on.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
OCD Afflicted

Mein Auto: '10 X5d & '08 EX35
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp5 View Post
From what I've seen in the forum, it feels like BMW needs to offer the ecocredit to move the 35d whereas the Q7 TDI is able to sell at a hair below MSRP. Can somebody help me understand why that's the case?
Two words: price point. That flippant answer aside, the Q7d should cost less than the X5d, based on our 24 hr. comparisons with each. Even without the ecocredit, we would've chosen the X5d. The Q7d is an outstanding vehicle; however, in our case we rationalized the X5d purchase vs. the Q7d as a "quality over quantity" decision.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
I have a '10 Touareg TDI, which has the same basic chassis-drivetrain as the Q7. With the 275-45-19 AS tire, the Touareg handling is superior to the 08 X5 3.0 I traded, hands down. The Touareg is better in every way except seat comfort, which is unsurpassed in the X5.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 35d
I drove a diesel Q7 as part of my shopping process and I can tell you that compared to the X5 35d it is way underpowered. It also gets worse gas mileage. Not to mention the over 4 month backorder in ordering a new one.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: Q7 TDI('10) X5 35d('10)
We have both the 2010 Q7 TDI and the 2010 X5 35d.

The engine sounds more 'rough' or 'raw' in the X5 - the Q7 is quieter, both when you sit inside the car and also when you stand next to it whilst running.

The steering cannot be compared - Q7 is incredibly light to the touch whereas the X5 lets you feel what is going on - the X5 steering is quite heavy actually (it took some getting used to, but now I like it!).

For interior fit & finish, there's nothing in it. Both were top notch.

For interior features/styling, Audi gets 9/10. BMW gets more like 7/10. I think the Audi looks more modern and high quality. The orange BMW lighting is a bit 1990's to my taste. Now, if the LCI had received the same treatment as the 5GT et al, I would be saying something else...

We have the prestige package Q7 with the 'fancy' cricket leather. Apparently to cut costs, Audi stopped putting leather on the dash. I have the leather X5 dash and I love it. It looks great.

Q7 is definitely way bigger inside. It's a tank. But its a very comfortable one. We have air suspension and the ride quality is very very nice for long trips and when you just want to chill/relax.

The X5 is much more sporty - I love flinging mine into corners and the road grip feel is superb.

The lights on the 2010 Q7 are definitely better looking than the 2010 X5 (also 2010 LCI IMO). Audi removed the adaptive lights feature (that positions the lights left/right when going around corners, X5 still has this).

X5 has HUD, Audi has a multi-function colour display above the steering wheel. The Audi functionality is better looking, but the HUD is much more convenient. HUD is a great feature.

iDrive vs the Audi system - they are both very good IMO. In terms of Nav, the Q7 doesn't show highway/motorway exit numbers early enough which is quite annoying, but I think it does a better job at vocalizing the street names. Screen is bigger in the X5 which is a plus. I'll never know why the Q7 screen is so small. It looks funny.

The side running boards on the Q7 have started to rust already from road salt. I need to complain about that as we've only had the car for 3 months.

X5 has better seats - (if you get comfort). Also, the Audi Q7 comfort access (keyless entry) doesn't work reliably with one of our key fobs. X5 has the same feature and it's been 100% reliable.

Sorry this is a bit random but just writing things down as the pop into my head. Shout if you have specific questions.

X5 = mine, Q7 = wifes.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGTGuy View Post
I drove a diesel Q7 as part of my shopping process and I can tell you that compared to the X5 35d it is way underpowered. It also gets worse gas mileage. Not to mention the over 4 month backorder in ordering a new one.
Oposite for us right now. I can drive the Q7 and get 9L/100km (sorry, I'm from europe and immediately switched mpg to L/100km, but you can convert it) if you baby it a bit. X5 is currently always around 11/12L/100km.

I don't think it's particularly underpowered but then I'm not used to driving cars with 3L engines in any case (again, Europe). It has plenty of pep when you need it - it is a diesel after all.

X5 has more power though IMO - I think the weight is the factor here.

Hopefully my X5 fuel consumption will improve after a few more miles (currently only 380m on the clock vs 1200m for the Q7).
Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 AM

Really appreciate all the help!!! With the eco-credit that BMW is offering, I'm most likely going with the X5...
Old 03-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5 and 750Li
bmw assist

the q7 doesn't offer what i would consider a very essential safety feature for a 2010/11 car.
if you get into an accident and the airbags deploy, bmw assist will notify emergency services and dispatch them to your location. if the q7 had that, i would more seriously consider the car for my wife. wanting a third row, there is (almost) no other choice than the x5D.

i'm curious to get more info on the difference in steering between the two cars.
the x5D is not offered with the active steering option which my wife had gotten used to in the previous 2008 x5 4.8. is the x5 without active steering really that much harder to turn than the q7?

thank you.

holschu.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holschu View Post
the x5D is not offered with the active steering option which my wife had gotten used to in the previous 2008 x5 4.8. is the x5 without active steering really that much harder to turn than the q7?

Yup. Of course it's do-able, but it is like night and day difference. The q7 steering feels like some kind of toy...

My wife said she would have to think quite hard about whether she'd like to drive the x5 all the time due to the heavy steering. She of course drives the x5 too from time to time.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: X5 and 750Li
active steering question

are you saying that my wife was actually correct in her assessment when comparing the non active steering x5D with our old 1997 range rover? i suppose, she deserves some credit for being so accurate... but i must also say that i, too drove that x5D and found it just fine.

thank you very much for the response.

holschu
Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 PM

In my and my wife's opinion, yes, the X5d without active steering is REALLY that much harder to steer than the Q7 (at low speeds). At faster speeds its less of an issue... The X5 without active steering is heavy. I think I like it. I'm just saying my wife probably wouldn't be particularly happy driving my X5 due to the heavy steering. Can't speak for your wife of course :-)
Old 03-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by holschu View Post
wanting a third row, there is (almost) no other choice than the x5D.

holschu.
The X5 is not a good choice if true third row seating is an important consideration and will get significant use. The only vehicle in this class that has a truly useable 3rd row seat is the MB GL. The third row seating in the X5 is weak and certainly not as good as the Q7 or GL.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 03-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
The X5 is not a good choice if true third row seating is an important consideration and will get significant use. The only vehicle in this class that has a truly useable 3rd row seat is the MB GL. The third row seating in the X5 is weak and certainly not as good as the Q7 or GL.
Actually I would argue the only real choice for 3rd row seat is the Land Rover LR4, you can comfortably seat two adults in the third row and it is an amazing car for its price point, unfortunately an almost non existent lease program kills its competitiveness, but if you are buying instead of leasing I would definitely consider it.

As for the X5 vs the Q7 its all in personal tastes, but my opinion is the Q7 external looks are less than appealing (to me it looks like a tank or a big bubble shaped space ship).... havenīt driven one though, but personally I think if you are looking for a true SPORT activity/utility vehicle (with emphasis in the sport part) BMW is unbeatable...
Old 03-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Actually I would argue the only real choice for 3rd row seat is the Land Rover LR4, you can comfortably seat two adults in the third row and it is an amazing car for its price point, unfortunately an almost non existent lease program kills its competitiveness, but if you are buying instead of leasing I would definitely consider it.

As for the X5 vs the Q7 its all in personal tastes, but my opinion is the Q7 external looks are less than appealing (to me it looks like a tank or a big bubble shaped space ship).... havenīt driven one though, but personally I think if you are looking for a true SPORT activity/utility vehicle (with emphasis in the sport part) BMW is unbeatable...
A friend of mine has the LR4 and I've sat in the 3rd row seat. I agree that it's pretty roomy compared to the others. However, he has had so many problems with reliability that he wishes he had never gotten it.
2010 X5d: Black Sapphire Metallic, Saddle Brown Leather, Bamboo, Premium, Technology, Rear Climate, Comfort Access, Heated Front Seats, 3rd Row Seating, Rear Entertainment System, iPod/USB Adapter, Roof Rails, Running Boards

Retired: 2008 528i: Platinum Gray Metallic, Black Leather, Bamboo, Step, Sport, Premium, Navigation, Heated Front Seats, PDC, Sun Shades, Comfort Access, iPod, Folding Rear Seats, Xenon
Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
This is an excellent thread since I am in the process of narrowing my choices between the X5- Touareg and the Q7- they all have some +'s & -'s which make the choosing more challenging.

The X5 has an inline 6cyl turbo vs the Q7 & Touaregs V6 TDI- Im thinking the inline 6 will be better performing torque wise, and the V6 quieter- Ive driven both and the X5 had better acceleration from stand still- midrange accl and passing gear- the v6TDI seemed a bit less responsive but was definitely quieter- I really couldnt tell what engine it had from the cabin.

Im leaning hard in the X5d direction- with rebates and discounts and tax incentives- fully equipped its price is a little more attractive. Now what color...
Old 08-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
We looked at Q7, X5 & ML - all diesels. Q7 is just too big. Have you used the MBUSA.com comparison charts? It will help.

We have looked at Audis as part of each purchase or lease in recent years. Always ended up with something else with Audi coming in 2nd. We keep looking because we had a couple of Audi 5000s & they were great. And, Quattro would give us the freedom to head north any time of the year. That won't happen with the E 350 RWD.

However, if you plan to tow a trailer, you need to look at the discussions elsewhere re. the problems that BMW is having with the tow package. Latest is dealers have been instructed to not install tow hitches or wiring modules on 2011 X5s because hitches are in short supply & they still haven't figured out how to make the wiring module work. Mine is at the dealer for the 2nd time now since June 23 delivery. It's been there since 9:45 am Wednesday & no solution is in sight to getting trailer brake lights working along with everything else.

1997 Porsche Targa ex. Laguna Beach
2011 X5d - traded for 2009 Maserati GranTurismo
2010 E-350 - still looks like new
1960 Giulietta Spider - sold to Montreal
1959 Turner Mk1 30/206 -Sold back to UK
Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
I have a '10 Touareg TDI, which has the same basic chassis-drivetrain as the Q7. With the 275-45-19 AS tire, the Touareg handling is superior to the 08 X5 3.0 I traded, hands down. The Touareg is better in every way except seat comfort, which is unsurpassed in the X5.
I just turned in my 06 Touareg V10 TDI with Air Suspension and that tire size and no way does the Touareg handle anywhere near close to my 2011 50i M Sport.Not sure what suspension you had that '08 3.0. Also, the Q7/Touareg V6 TDI is really underpowered. The only thing the Touareg beats the X5 with is Offroading, otherwise nothing. Now the new 2011 Touareg Hybrid may be a different story, maybe.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFHusker View Post
A friend of mine has the LR4 and I've sat in the 3rd row seat. I agree that it's pretty roomy compared to the others. However, he has had so many problems with reliability that he wishes he had never gotten it.
I've owned 7-seater LR3 and its 3rd row seating beats even MB GL. In 3 yrs I had a couple of problems no more serious than a faulty bumper sensor, but I definetelly wouldn;t own one w/o a warranty. Frankly speaking, new LR TDi with much improved interior would be our choice #1 over 35d had it been offered here in US, although would look hard into cost/depreciation before making a choice.
Q7 TDi was never a contender for me even though I've owned few Audis in the past.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: M3
The steering in my 35d is very heavy. Maneuvering around a parking lot requires many hand turns. I actually don't like how heavy it is. I think BMW has made it overly heavy and it is a detraction.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
The steering in my 35d is very heavy. Maneuvering around a parking lot requires many hand turns. I actually don't like how heavy it is. I think BMW has made it overly heavy and it is a detraction.
I think some people would agree; that may be one reason why they have the optional "Active Steering" which supposedly solves that for those who see it as a problem. Oddly, it's only available on 35i Premium, 35i SAV, and 50i... no 35d, 35i base, or M. My CA mentioned it to me, but I thought the default steering seemed fine w/out trying the Active Steering out myself for comparison.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Black Sapphire M6
My wife and I looked at the X5 35d, the LR4, and the Q7tdi. We ended up going with the X5 for many reasons, the LR4 just felt wrong, the back seats were uncomfortable and things seemed out of place and hard to use in s ome cases. The Q7 and the X5 were the final two, and from there we both like the X5 a bit more. The Audi is a great truck for sure, but to quote my wife, the q7 felt more like a minivan and the x5 more like a sports car. Plus when we looked at the milage the X5 seemed to be on top.

Now if we can ever get our x5 to us...

2013 - Monte Carlo Blue M5
2011 - X5 35d
------Retired----------------------
2007 - Jet Black 335i
2003 - Silver Gray Metallic M3
2006 - Black Sapphire M6
Old 08-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onnastick View Post
I think some people would agree; that may be one reason why they have the optional "Active Steering" which supposedly solves that for those who see it as a problem. Oddly, it's only available on 35i Premium, 35i SAV, and 50i... no 35d, 35i base, or M. My CA mentioned it to me, but I thought the default steering seemed fine w/out trying the Active Steering out myself for comparison.
Hey onnastick, just picked up my 35d/sport package/20" wheels last night and you are right, the standard steering is fine. I came from a 2006 E53 with the sport package and the E53 steering was a little more involving, a little "heavier", but I need a few more miles to get the measure of it all. (The E53 had more steering feel than my 2000 5 series and was a very involving, fun car to drive. Perfectly "weighted" steering. The most involving car I ever had was my '95 5 Series. That car's steering was like an extension of your brain to the wheels. Really communicative.)

I am baffled by anyone in these threads complaining that BMW steering is too "heavy". They are looking at the wrong vehicles. The soul of a BMW is the steering and the arch enemy is light, or over-boosted steering. There's Lexus for people who need light steering for parking lots or whatever. Steering such a major key to driving involvement and is so integral to the BMW experience that it's amazing there are negative comments about it.