Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 PM
back to bimmer

Mein Auto: car
Had the same issues. Doc fees ran from $199 to $399. Not one dealer would budge on their fees. Some dealers had maco and others didn't. Bottom line is the best dealer cost + profit + dealer fee. If I had to do it over again, I would ask for that number from every dealer instead of $500 over invoice. Price over invoice is only relevent if all dealers have the same costs. If Dealer #1 has maco ($250) and Dealer #2 doesn't, the net to you is $750 over invoice from Dealer #1. And if Dealer #2 has a $399 doc fee, then the net to you is $899 over invoice ...even though both are offering the same deal of $500 over. An "out the door price" plus tax and plates is the easiest comparison. As it turns out, I went with the dealer that had the largest price over invoice of $630 b/c there was no maco fee and they had the cheapest doc fees $200.

yes, you can service your new BMW at any dealership.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Coming back to BMW

Mein Auto: soon to be X5
$1200 over invoice + $349 Doc + $300 MACO + $315 Tags = Confusion + Resentment

I agree with jdibber that it is very difficult to compare "Price over invoice" between dealers because of the add on fees that appear after "the profit negotiation" is supposed to be complete.

My CA sent me a fax that gave me a price that was $1200 over invoice + $300 MACO and at the bottom $349 Doc fee. I, of course, assumed that the $349 Doc fee was for registration and tags, which is limited to $75 in NYC, but I am buying from New Jersey, so I thought, OK fine. But now that the final retail invoice arrives, there is an additional $315 for registration and tags. Frustrating.

Bayside BMW began putting together a deal for "$1000 over invoice," but at the same time, I have no idea what additional fees will be involved for that deal. (0428 is buying a 35i and his CA said the pricing on the 35i was $500 over invoice. The CA also said the 35d is in greater demand and in the NYC area, their asking price is higher for that model. This tracks with the rest of my research, so I am actually OK with it. BTW, 0428, thanks again for the referral...)

I told my current CA about the new offer hoping that she would cut a couple hundred off the price (she wouldn't), but she surprised me with good news. My car that was supposed to be produced in July was assigned a production date! I called the BMW production status number, and the status has changed for the better! I was assigned a production date of May 10, 2010. I have my VIN number and, theoretically, my car will be built at the end of this week (ordered April 30). My CA threw in Rubber Floor Mats, yippee.

With every silver lining comes a cloud... I posted in another thread that my CA immediately got an email from the Performance Center saying that my car will be held up for CARB approval, and that they cannot give me a delivery date. So now I am waiting for an actual delivery date, but the good news is that I no longer have to worry about what deal I could get somewhere else. My deal is done. My car is on its way!

FYI, where is the best place to buy accessories that I can install myself, like the iPhone Cradle and the BMW Base Support Bars? PM me or point me to the right thread for this...

If I had to sum up what I have learned from this process, I think it boils down to this:

1) Someone else on the internet will always get a better deal than you can. Accept it.

2) There is a price in time for each additional dealer you contact and TRY to get a price from. Contact as many as you can afford (in time) until you achieve a comfort level with your vehicle's pricing.

3) In general, the further away from home you are willing to deal, the better deal you can get. There are some lucky ones who live next door to a dealer willing to give them $50 below invoice (see point 1), but if you want to deal with someone face to face, that will cost more.

4) Convenience costs money. The simplest deal is to walk into a dealer and take whatever deal they offer you, and you walk out with a new car. Like many on this forum, I couldn't do that; I HAD to research the deal, contact 4 dealers, and haggle for 4 weeks. (I started shopping on April 1, the opening date of the NY Auto Show, and closed my deal on April 30).

I have a spreadsheet that calculates that I saved $1627.82 from my first offer. So I figure that for the 40ish hours of phone/email/dealer visits, I just paid myself $40.70 an hour. Every additional hour I spend on this "project" means I pay myself less.

In any case, the forums helped me understand the pricing structure, get comfortable with all the fees, and know my options. Thank you for all the advice and support!

-phillip
Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Coming back to BMW

X5 35d in body shop. Completion Date of May 8 2010.

One last question. I just checked online, and now my vehicle comes up configured properly and a 35d with Platinum Gray and Black leather interior. When I call the BMW number, I get a estimate completion date of May 8, 2010.

However, 2 options are missing from my options list. 1) Roof Rails and 2) Smartphone integration. The items are on my retail order, and included in my price. Should I be worried? The last thing I want is to pick up a vehicle that is not configured properly. On the other hand, I have heard that the website is notoriously wrong.

-phillip
Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliptiongson View Post
One last question. I just checked online, and now my vehicle comes up configured properly and a 35d with Platinum Gray and Black leather interior. When I call the BMW number, I get a estimate completion date of May 8, 2010.

However, 2 options are missing from my options list. 1) Roof Rails and 2) Smartphone integration. The items are on my retail order, and included in my price. Should I be worried? The last thing I want is to pick up a vehicle that is not configured properly. On the other hand, I have heard that the website is notoriously wrong.

-phillip
Mine is also scheduled to be completed at the end of this week(May 7th), I'm also missing the Roof Rail on the options list. I double checked with my CA and he said it's in the system.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Coming back to BMW

I guess I will cross my fingers, and hope it all comes out OK. I figure if I am paying for it, it is probably on the order.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335Xi Coupe'
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliptiongson View Post

-phillip
Mine too. Could they be "dealer installed options"?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Coming back to BMW

Don't think so, at least not according to everything else I have read. I just double checked my retail order with my CA, and she definitely has the items listed, so I am going to try not to worry about it.

-phillip
Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Roof rails doesn't show up on mine either, and mine is at the dealer with them on. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you are anxious about it, you can always let the CA know that this is a concern and to double check for you about these 2 options.