Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiazkiran View Post
COSTCO buying program usually runs about 5% discount on the MSRP, one of the most easiest way of getting a deal...
The Costco Dealer in my area would only give me a $500 discount from list. Sometimes Costco is a good deal in my case it was not. You can contact dealers through BMW's website and get bids. That is how I got my deal.

Chuck
Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
I actually had a really great buying experience with Carlos Moralejo of BMW of San Francisco. Give him a call. Very fair and very nice guy.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330CiC ZHp
For the Orange County area, Stearling BMW has the COSTCO contract and from what I remember, for the 2010, they are $950 over invoice (see no reason why the 2011 should be any different, but have not checked). However, this deal does not extend to the diesels. If you make reference to this, most adjacent dealers would go with this number.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: looking at x5 35d
2011 x5 35d canadain pricing msrp/cost

LOOKING AT BUYING X5 35D, DOSE ANYONE HAVE ANY PRICING FOR CANADA.
tks
Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 09 Porsche 997TT
i am ordering $500 over invoice, then the $4500 eco credit, the net is $4000 below invoice.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCFP View Post
i am ordering $500 over invoice, then the $4500 eco credit, the net is $4000 below invoice.
From where?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 09 Porsche 997TT
as soon as i get confirmation on my order, i will let you know. to confirm deal.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: acura
How to buy a car from a dealer in California or NYC if you live in Texas? How can you send the money and and make sure everything is ligitimate?
I appreciate the help
Old 03-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maher View Post
How to buy a car from a dealer in California or NYC if you live in Texas? How can you send the money and and make sure everything is ligitimate?
I appreciate the help

First, forget CA or NY for deals! You need to go where there is a lower density of affluence.

New cars are totally simple: You are buying a know item, it is the same exact car that is made and shipped- be it to your local dealer or the dealer 200 miles away.

Just communicate with the selling dealer, get all the paperwork up front, likely have a cashiers check in hand. Drive a few hours with wife, and then argue about who gets to drive the new car home!

Just do everything you would do with a local dealer. Never have the car shipped to you sight unseen, new or used...just asking for trouble and in this case no need really... there isn't enough savings in new deals to cover the shipping costs
Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 AM

Thank you for your reply.
I am actually ordering a new 2011 X5 so the dealer dose not have it on his lot.
I am thinking about PCD for a pick up location. Local dealers in Texas want MSRP!! so since I am planning on PCD then I am thinking about outsourcing my business out of the state. The question is: Is it doable and safe or not? if yes then how to do it ?

Maher,
Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.
I am actually ordering a new 2011 X5 so the dealer dose not have it on his lot.
I am thinking about PCD for a pick up location. Local dealers in Texas want MSRP!! so since I am planning on PCD then I am thinking about outsourcing my business out of the state. The question is: Is it doable and safe or not? if yes then how to do it ?

Maher,

Of course, doable and safe. Perfect actually.

How could it be "not safe"???? I mean unless someone sets up a fake BMW dealership and scams you from the beginning!

This deal could be done without ever seeing a salesman. Talk on the phone, haggle a bit (all you should negotiate is 'dealer profit'- thats it. Just how much he will make over total cost.... so much simpler)- he emails the order page, you approve it, he sends an agreement- you sign it and fax it back, give him a 500-1000 deposit. When the order is getting close he fedexs you the documents to sign, you send them back, wire transfer or send a cashiers check... go to PCD, inspect, drive home.

I'd consider contacting some of the dealers/salesmen on this site in Ask a Dealer (IN PM ONLY!!!! No public negotiations- poor form, IMHO)..... they do european delivery, can do PCD the same I would think.

Easy Peasy

A
Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
Are you sure COSTCO program can get 5% off? My dealer only do $200 off. So I did not bother mentioning COSTCO buying program again.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM

I highly appreciate ard help.
How about title and registration and sale's tax? Should the dealer from out of Texas collect sale's tax for Texas and obtain the title and registration and send them to me?
Thank you in advance.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Maher,

I bought my X5 from an out-of-state BMW dealer by placing my order with them, signed the papers, paid the deposit with a credit card and wired the rest of the money before picking up the X5 at the Performance Center. All without ever seeing the dealership or meeting my sales guy. Got a deal for $500 over invoice. None of the dealers in Atlanta could match it. I was a bit nervous as I was sending the money without seeing the car, but I figured that it's a brand new car and I am picking it up at the factory, so what could go wrong. Everything went pretty smoothly and would definitely do it again. PM me if you want my sales guys info.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtower View Post
Are you sure COSTCO program can get 5% off? My dealer only do $200 off. So I did not bother mentioning COSTCO buying program again.
Dealers decide whether to offer a particular car model and year on a day by day and dealer by dealer basis within the "costco" program. it isn't like Costco goes out and negotiates! More like dealers say "We'll do a 2011 BMW XYZ at $x over" and costco says "OK"

My local dealer had the 2009 in the costco program, but wouldn't do the 2010. (I actually had a deal on the 2009 under the Costco price.) I went elsewhere.

The "costco program" is nothing more than one can negotiate directly...indeed, it is usually a worse deal since it is the dealer effectively capitualting and saying 'fine, we'll sell it to any moron who can say 'costco' at $X over invoice"

Quote:
How about title and registration and sale's tax? Should the dealer from out of Texas collect sale's tax for Texas and obtain the title and registration and send them to me?
Thank you in advance.
Dealer should not collect tax since the transaction is NOT in their state. They MAY collect tax for you and do your paperwork, or you may need to do it.... Go to your states DMV website and figure it out. You pay a USE tax, and not a SALES tax. So the tax is due when you register it in your state, not when some far away dealer sells it.

I'd concentrate on the 'deal'...all the tax, title, stuff can be figured out later.

I always laugh when dealers try and charge $295 or $495 for 'documentation and licensing fees'.... but I guess people can be overwhelmed by it all... For crying out loud, how can it be? Car Salesmen can figure it out!!!

A

Last edited by ard; 03-21-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
'Fest Dealer

Mein Auto: Kick Scooter
Quote:
Thank you in advance.
Hey There - I can definitely help you out. Send me a PM or call me at Nick Alexander Imports (323) 583-1901.

I can get you a Performance Center Delivery no problem.

THanks - and let me know if you'd like my help
Old 03-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Thanks for everyone who helped and shared thoughts in this thread.
One dealer said the dealership will collect sales tax money and send to TX through MV agencies that do out of state registration. Is this ture?
Do I still have to pay the $875 destination charge for PCD?

Maher,
Old 03-21-2010, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Yes, you will still have to pay the $875 delivery charge even if you do PCD...
Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 xdrive35d
I just took delivery on a 2010 x5d on the east coast that stickered for $62,975 and paid $56,500. Thought that was a good price. Lowest I got from any other dealer was $56K even, but they had much higher processing fee (hundreds of dollars) plus had local taxes that the other dealer did not, so it evened out. Since the other dealer had exactly what I wanted, and I did not want to order, and no other on existed like this in the US, I went for it. Very happy, and no regrets.

I agree that logically it would have made sense to try and regotiate before the eco-credit, but even with a higher supply of x5d on the east coast, they are moving off the lots quickly, and I just didn't feel like negotiating lower than $56K was going to happen after several weeks of working deals and the fact that 2011 models started production last week.

FWIW - edmunds.com agrees that $56K is what the TMV is, so I was close enough to that to be happy.

Unbelievable car. The best I have ever had! Was down to the Audi Q7 and Toureg TDI and was unimpressed with both of them for the price...even though the Audi was a little more luxurious in some places, both of these cars suffered from being overweight and had braking issues that I was just not going to live with. Plus, Audi is even much less willing to deal on TDIs (if at all) and the VW resale value on Touaregs is probably the worst of any SUV manufacturer.

At this point, there are still many x5ds here on the east coast, but they are mostly black or white exterior, and have odd options packages for the most part, but I'm sure there is alot of room to negotiate as we move through April. But for those out there who really want a specific set of options, colors, etc., you are probably going to be hard pressed to find one on-the-lot, and will most likely have less leverage on a 2011 order.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
Actually you can get a pretty good deal on the 2011 X5 diesel.
Several dealerships in northern Virginia offered me $500 over invoice. It took me no more a few minutes to write up an email and send it out to the 4 dealerships near me. 10 mins later I had my picking of which dealership to buy from. Ordered one the next day, no haggling needed.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 AM
back to bimmer

Mein Auto: car
Will, could you confirm this form me....

The new 2011 X5 comes in 3 trim levels. If I'm reading things correctly, it seems I cannot order the options I want. I'd like to pay for leather seats, heated seats and Navigation, I cannot get this with the base trim level (leather is not offered). The premium trim doesn't offer heated seats, but instead the cold weather package at double the cost. I can't get the Nav either, I need to order the Tech package for an additional $900. But I can't get the Tech Package unless I order the $2700 Conv Package. Getting, what I consider 3 simple options will cost about $8-9k more over the base trim level.....

Am I missing something?

many thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
'Fest Dealer

Mein Auto: Kick Scooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdibber View Post
Will, could you confirm this form me....

The new 2011 X5 comes in 3 trim levels. If I'm reading things correctly, it seems I cannot order the options I want. I'd like to pay for leather seats, heated seats and Navigation, I cannot get this with the base trim level (leather is not offered). The premium trim doesn't offer heated seats, but instead the cold weather package at double the cost. I can't get the Nav either, I need to order the Tech package for an additional $900. But I can't get the Tech Package unless I order the $2700 Conv Package. Getting, what I consider 3 simple options will cost about $8-9k more over the base trim level.....

Am I missing something?

many thanks
Actually, Navigation is a Priority 1 option. You can order the Premium Trim with Heated Seats, Leather, and Navigation (must be paired with BMW Assist w/ Bluetooth).

Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
jdibber, are you getting your packaging information from Edmunds (since the BMW site doesn't have the 2011s on its site yet)? I used their tool to build a 35d and its missing a whole lot of options that I know that were available to me when I ordered my car. For instance, Edmunds shows that standalone nav is not an option, but it is available on the 2011 35d because I ordered it. (But then I revised to the tech package because I decided that I'd like to actually back my car into a parking space -- I just can't see well enough in the 35d like I can in my 2003 E53).
Old 04-05-2010, 02:05 PM
back to bimmer

barbja...I'm using the BMW NA price sheets, but got confused and went to edmunds. so it looks like I have some flexibility.

Will...a few quick confirmation questions
- If I'm allergic to vinyl, then I need to order the premium trim to get leather?
- The key differences b/t basic trim and premium trim is the latter adds leather, moonroof, roof rails, different wheels, priv glass, and USB?
- I can order the Premium trim with just the following options: 494 (Heated front seats), 609 (Navigation system) and 639 (BMW Assist with Bluetooth --required w/ Navigation) and no one will give me a hard time?

again, many thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 AM
back to bimmer

not to beat a dead horse...but has anyone ordered the Premium as Will noted above? My local dealer insists I need the Tech Package and CW package to get hot cow on course (diner jargon)

Last edited by jdibber; 04-08-2010 at 06:29 AM.