Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: A Van
Reference - 03 735i N62 - Multiple misfires at startup (SIB 11 02 05)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a BMW 735i 2003 with N62 engine.

After starting the engine runs rough for a short time.
Diagnostic reports fault codes 2742,2743,2744,2745,2746,2748,2749 and 274E

After some googling I discovered this SIB from BMW

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B110205g.htm

I have removed camshaft cover from one side, but can't find the date codes on the levers that are mentioned in the SIB.

Also the date range mentioned in the SIB seems to new for this vehicle.

Anyway, after removing the cover there are wear marks on the variable valve eccentric shaft either side of the lobes which are being caused by the intermediate levers. This is the same for every lobe.

I have taken some photo's so you can see....

Has anyone seen this before, I are sure the wear is not right but I'm not sure if this is causing the problem. I'm not getting much help from BMW dealers.

This is a photo of shaft rotated one way, no sign of wear.

This is a photo of shaft rotated other way, obvious wear either side of lobe.
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65,03 cobra
Yup you need to replace the intermetiate levers ive seen alot of n62 do the same it will only cuase misfires during cold start.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the reply white75li, can I politely ask what your background is? Do you work as a vehicle technician and if so for how long and for who? Sorry to ask but I just want to be sure of your advice before I commit to changing the levers?

I should add that this vehicle has not been suffering from this problem until a few weeks ago and the wear is either side of every lobe. I should also add that we have had some particularly cold weather recently.

Regards, Simon
Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 AM

Hey Simon I have worked for BMW as a tech for almost 6 years. I've had many cars with this problem there is not supposed to be any wear on the shaft the intermidiate levers have worn down to a piont where they cannot open the intake valve the correct amount causing misfires and ruff idle. If you don't wanna commit just yet I would smoke test to see if the intake is leaking check fuel press and change sparkplugs and if a perticular cyl. Is misfiring or a few of the same ones swap coils form those to cyl that are not and recheck the faults and see if the misfire moved. I hope this helps
Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply, and yes most helpfull.

We have replaced plugs and also swapped out coils on offending cylinders, the faults do not move.

The SIB mentions 5 different classifications of levers, of which we may have 16 the same or 8 on one bank and 8 different on another? How do we tell which classification is required? Will there be a marking on the exisiting levers? Also do you know the job time for replacing all 16 levers in both banks?

* just found in the ISTA procedures where the classification stamps are.

Lastly, we have accessed BMW ISTA and have the procedures for replacing the levers. In the procedure a carrier tool is mentioned, is this tool crtitical or can the job be completed without? it?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by gooroo; 03-09-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Hey Simon the carrier keeps the valvetronic components square when you swap out levers not realy sure how important it is but I use it every time I do the job. It pays around 15 hours if I remember correctly. Good luck on the job take your time and you should be fine.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 AM

Hi again white75li..

The vehicle is much improved, cold starting is perfect.

We now have another fault which I think was masked by the previous problem.

As I say on startup the vehicle idles perfect, no sign of a misfire and no engine light. After the initial warm up the engine starts sounding "fluffy" and there is a noticeable chuffing from the exhaust, still no engine light at this point.

During a road test the engine light comes on and the fault code is always misfire on cylinder 5 detected.

We have tried swapping coils and injectors for cylinder 5, still the same.
We have compression tested cylinder 5 and compared results to another cylinder on the same side.

First compression test on 5 shows around 150psi and drops away fairly quickly after cranking has stopped.
Second compression test on 5 shows less compression, around 50psi and again drops away.

The other cylinder shows around 230psi and pressure holds after test, repeated twice.

We have run a litre of BG44 engine flush though, ensuring we keep clearing the fault code after each appearance to ensure cylinder 5 is getting the flush also.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards, Simon
Old 06-03-2010, 05:50 AM

Hey Simon next step would be a cyl leak down test on # 5 with the leak down test you will see where you are losing the pressure it will check the see if all valves are seating, piston rings are ok and headgasket is ok. Hope this helps if you need more info let me know.
Joe
Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM

Joe, sorry for the long delay in getting back to you...

Just had an email from someone else reading this thread and it reminded me that I never did finish writing up the outcome.

Anyway, long story short.. did a leak down test and yep we had a problem, but only as the intermediate shaft was back at normal running position, ie not during initial cold running. Turns out the lobe on the shaft was also worn on cylinder 5. Replaced intermediate shaft on that side and all was good.

Customer was very happy, thanks again for your help, it was much appreciated!

Regards, Simon
Old 04-09-2011, 12:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooroo View Post
Hi again white75li..

As I say on startup the vehicle idles perfect, no sign of a misfire and no engine light. After the initial warm up the engine starts sounding "fluffy" and there is a noticeable chuffing from the exhaust, still no engine light at this point.

During a road test the engine light comes on and the fault code is always misfire on cylinder 5 detected.

We have compression tested cylinder 5 and compared results to another cylinder on the same side.

First compression test on 5 shows around 150psi and drops away fairly quickly after cranking has stopped.
Second compression test on 5 shows less compression, around 50psi and again drops away.

The other cylinder shows around 230psi and pressure holds after test, repeated twice.

We have run a litre of BG44 engine flush though, ensuring we keep clearing the fault code after each appearance to ensure cylinder 5 is getting the flush also.

Regards, Simon
Hi,

What parts did you change ? did you also need to change the eccentric shafts (2) ?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
735i ? missfiring ? exactly what ive had few months back in my '02 735i . but thats only some missfiring spark plugs though . changed all 8 and its back normal . are you sure its not the spark plugs ?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Replaced 1 shaft and all the levers on one side only.

If you need to hire the cam locking tool let me know..

Regards, Simon

Last edited by gooroo; 04-11-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Replaced 1 shaft and all the levers on one side only.

If you need to hire the cam locking tool let me know..

Regards, Simon
Thanks for the information, I do not have this problem now, weather temperature is about 10-20 deg C here in Sweden and hard to verify the fault, idle is excellent all the way and no problem at all now except I still get this code 2760 Sec. Air system , air mass too leen.

In winter, I get this code 2760 together with misfire codes on some cylinders, different each time together with rough idle during the first 60 sec.

Does the 2760 code has anything to do with the rough idle at startup? I checked the air pump it seems to work and pumps air but did not check the Secondary air system exhaust valves.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Hi again white75li..

Regards, Simon
Hi again,

I have read this post carefully, what I understand is that at this point you did not change any levers or shaft to get the perfect cold start idle, after detecting the problem on cylinder 5 then you have changed the levers and shaft on one side, is this correct? what did you do to get the cold start idle correct ?

I am asking since I have read some posts where some has changed the levers and shafts in N62 engines but did not get rid of the cold start idle problem in cold weather.

Many thanks in advance!
George

Last edited by hafrse; 04-18-2011 at 01:45 PM.