Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: `99, 528i, standard
Exclamation Oil Pan Gasket replacement question?

I got a 1999, 528i, E39. about 190km

I recently did my oil on it, about 4k ago, and my mechanic noticed a leak in the oil pan, and from the looks of it the gasket needs replacement. Now it's time for new oil, and a gasket replacement. There is a sub frame that runs across the gasket. I got couple questions regarding the installation process, need some helpful advice. My hands grow out of right places so I know my way around the car/tools, going to be a DIY for me.

1. Is there enough clearance between the sub frame bar, and the oil pan, to just slide the pan out? Instead of lifting the engine.

2. If not, I know I probably going to have to lift the engine an inch or two, I got access to a mechanic shop where I work(dealership) , so I'll take it there to work on it. As for lifting the engine, what do I have to take out, (shroud, fan, radiator houses, what else?)

3. Any tricks of the trade would be greatly appreciated.

Max
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
The morale of this lesson is: if you think you have a leak from the Oil Pan Gasket, think again!
I thought I had the oil Pan Gasket leak, it turned out the leak from the Oil Housing Gasket and the 2 "Freeze Plugs" in the back of the Oil Housing:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414315

PS: Replacing the Oil Pan Gasket in the 6-cylinder engine is a bear (dropping subframe etc. very labor-intensive; in contrast the same job is a piece of cake on the V8).
So I'd suggest that you do the the Oil Housing Gasket and the 2 "Freeze Plugs" first.

Last edited by cn90; 03-07-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 528
yeah i thought mine ws leaking , took it to my Indy mechanic and he told me it was a okay!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
SOMAXIM,
Did you change your oil pan gasket? If you did please tell me how you did it since I have to replace mine and would like to know if it it feasible for me to change it myself. I am good with cars but on the BMW I always have afterthoughts.
Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPENTSY@CS.COM View Post
SOMAXIM,
Did you change your oil pan gasket? If you did please tell me how you did it since I have to replace mine and would like to know if it it feasible for me to change it myself. I am good with cars but on the BMW I always have afterthoughts.
How many miles do you have?
Make sure you go over my post #2 above.
In my case it was not the Oil Pan Gasket but rather it was the Oil Housing Gasket.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPENTSY@CS.COM View Post
SOMAXIM,
Ya make sure you do what in post #2 says, i am doing it tonight. Also tighten the bolts arround the oilpan, sometimes one could be loose, as well there is a power steering hose with the connector right near there, tighten it up, mine was leaking and dripping on the oil pan, as for lifting the engines it's not that simple and you do have to lift it up inch or two to replace oil pan gasket. MP ill help you out with what i know.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somaxim View Post
Ya make sure you do what in post #2 says, i am doing it tonight. Also tighten the bolts arround the oilpan, sometimes one could be loose, as well there is a power steering hose with the connector right near there, tighten it up, mine was leaking and dripping on the oil pan, as for lifting the engines it's not that simple and you do have to lift it up inch or two to replace oil pan gasket. MP ill help you out with what i know.
1. Yes, do the Oil Filter Housing GASKET, it is cheap $5.

2. And No, be very careful tightening the oil pan bolts, very easy to strip them!
Look up the torque values and use a torque wrench.

My best advice is read post#2 above, then follow it up with checking for oil leak. Don't tighten the oil pan bolts YET!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
did anyone ever end up replacing the oil pan gasket? I was just under my 528 and i know for sure thats where my leaks are coming from because theres oil all the way around and my car has 170k so i think its about time.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by diego88m View Post
did anyone ever end up replacing the oil pan gasket?
What were the results of your initial search?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
um ya that gives me a bunch of results that just point to the oil filter housing....

Last edited by diego88m; 10-27-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
um ya that gives me a bunch of results that just point to the oil filter housing....
You have to flip PAST the first page of results.

That's the whole point. I can do the search for you, and I'm sure I'll find an oil-pan gasket R&R, but, YOU are supposed to do that search first.

My suggestion is to do the search (and read past the first page of results). If after a half-dozen pages you still don't find an oil-pan gasket R&R, then it does not exist (or, you'll need to THEN ask for help).

Personally, I'd be shocked if you don't find one there (I glanced at the results and saw what you're talking about even before I posted that link but that is what searches are all about).

I repeat:
If you don't find the DIY you need, I'd be very surprised.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
You have to flip PAST the first page of results.

That's the whole point. I can do the search for you, and I'm sure I'll find an oil-pan gasket R&R, but, YOU are supposed to do that search first.

My suggestion is to do the search (and read past the first page of results). If after a half-dozen pages you still don't find an oil-pan gasket R&R, then it does not exist (or, you'll need to THEN ask for help).

Personally, I'd be shocked if you don't find one there (I glanced at the results and saw what you're talking about even before I posted that link but that is what searches are all about).

I repeat:
If you don't find the DIY you need, I'd be very surprised.
OMG seriously! the only write up is for a 540i. if you spent so much time writing all of that and doing a search on your own then send me the link. Dont automatically assume i didnt search. I searched OK! I didnt find anything so i asked. The only result that would help at all is for an e46 and even that one isnt clear enough for me to want to attempt this.

Im not incompetent so dont treat me as such. if you dont want to answer my original question just dont bother writing anything at all and let someone that does want to help me with my problem help me. Dont try to school me on how to use the internet ive been using google since 96' and trust me im no amateur at this. Furthermore if you consider yourself such n expert at googling you wouldnt include the year in your search because it just gives you useless results. The correct search would be "e39 528i oil pan gasket diy".

Thank you
Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
The correct search would be "e39 528i oil pan gasket diy"
I found this from cn90 in seconds with my google search (there were more but let's start with this); does it help you?

See also the attached BMW TIS for my model year car (yours is there too but I only downloaded mine).

This is from M52 Motor for E46 so you can get the idea:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=665810

STRAIGHT Fromt Mitchell Repair Book:

OIL PAN Removal
1. Drain engine oil. Disconnect wiring from oxygen sensor. Detach wiring from holder at transmission crossmember.

2. Remove bolts and exhaust pipes from exhaust manifold. On vehicles with automatic transmission, remove crossmember for center of gravity suspension.

3. Remove bolts, and detach exhaust pipe from transmission holder. Detach rubber rings from exhaust pipes. Remove rear bolts and lower exhaust assembly down.

4. On all models, release hinge at hood, and prop hood open past center position. Remove air cleaner/air mass sensor assembly.

5. Remove generator air intake duct.Remove rivets, and pull out radiator cooling fan cowl. Using Pulley Holder (11-5-030) and 32-mm Wrench (11-5-040), turn cooling fan nut clockwise to remove cooling fan. Remove clips at top of radiator.

6. On 3-series, remove grille from fresh air intake duct. Remove electrical lead along fresh air intake duct. Remove right holder and fresh air intake duct.

7. On all models, remove guide tube for engine oil dipstick. Note serpentine belt routing. Insert socket into drive belt tensioner bolt. Compress tensioner by slowly rotating socket clockwise, and remove drive belt.

8. Remove power steering pump bolts. Remove power steering pump. DO NOT disconnect power steering lines. Remove bolts and power steering pump oil supply tank. Hang power steering pump and oil tank aside.

9. On 3-series, insert socket into A/C compressor drive belt tensioner bolt. Compress tensioner by slowly rotating socket clockwise, and remove A/C compressor drive belt. Remove A/C compressor. DO NOT disconnect refrigerant lines.

10. Remove ground strap and right engine mount nut. Remove left engine mount nut. Loosen lower nuts on right/left engine mount. Attach Engine Holding Hoop (00-0-200) and Sling (00-0-204) to engine carrier. Raise engine as far as possible. Ensure wiring harness, ducts and hoses are not stretched or pinched.

11. On all models, remove oil pan bolts. Lower oil pan. Turn sprocket nut clockwise, and pull oil pump sprocket off splines. Remove bolts and oil strainer. Remove bolts and oil pump. Remove oil pan by pulling it rearward.

Installation
1. To install, reverse removal procedure. Use Elastic Sealing Compound (3 Bond 1027B) to fill joints between oil pan and front timing case and rear cover.

2. Tighten oil pump sprocket nut counterclockwise. Nut uses left-hand threads. Ensure serpentine belt is correctly routed and properly seated in grooves. Turn 32-mm Wrench (11-5-040) counterclockwise, and tighten cooling fan nut. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .

2008 Mitchell Repair Information Co., LLC. Page 1 of 1 ENGINE - 6-CYL. (M52, S62) -2000 BMW 528i 2/17/2009 http://www.ondemand5.com/mric/common/asp/printart.aspx

Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_2002_e39_525i_I6_oil_sump_tis.pdf (404.5 KB, 526 views)

Last edited by bluebee; 11-01-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 PM

Thank you this does help. I went through the results on your search (9 pages worth) and still didnt see that result. But anyway. Is this doable without having a hoist?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM

I personally, had oil pan leak for last year, wanted to do it, but never got around to do so... from the research that i have done, and mechanics i talked to all suggest lifting engine an inch or two, however everyone who i asked wasn't 100% sure. As for BMW dealership mechanics they said that they don't replace oil pan gaskets, they are made so that they don't leak, and if they do it's just a drop or two. I got 210k on mine now, and the leak is the same as when i bought the car. All i did i started using a bit more thicker oil, which helps with leaks, as well i tightened the nuts on the oil pan a little (MAKE SURE TO USE TORQUE WRENCH) or just very lightly 1/10 of a turn at most, not to over tighten. small leaks are fine, honestly the oil level stay exactly the same from oil change to next oil change, i lost like 50ml tops.. prob not even. Now if it is leaking like crazy then you would have to change the gasket, but it's a headache.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:09 AM

AGAIN...Replace the Oil Housing Gasket ($5 part) before touching the oil pan gasket!!
It has been a year since I replaced Oil Housing Gasket and it is bone-dry!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Is this doable without having a hoist?
I see this in the steps:
"Attach Engine Holding Hoop (00-0-200) and Sling (00-0-204) to engine carrier. Raise engine as far as possible"

This intimates a hoist isn't needed so much as an engine sling. Presumably you can jack the engine up a bit before you sling it (because it will settle I would guess).

I've seen those inexpensive steel rectangular hollow bars that slide inside one another with legs on the end where you can hold up the engine with a cable - they might work.

Still, you should heed cn90's word ALWAYS since he's one of the best of the best here. At least consider doing the OFH gasket first and see if it fixes anything.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 PM

CN90, i have replaced the oil housing gasket, as well tried to do freeze plugs, they looked bone dry to me, as well they are different from the diy from post #2, so i didn't bother doing them, As for oil housing gasket i agree with cn90 it does help, however didn't fix my problem.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somaxim View Post
CN90, i have replaced the oil housing gasket, as well tried to do freeze plugs, they looked bone dry to me, as well they are different from the diy from post #2, so i didn't bother doing them, As for oil housing gasket i agree with cn90 it does help, however didn't fix my problem.
Your car is 1999. The "freeze plugs" seen in my DIY applies to only 1997-98 cars.
So you are OK.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 PM

There is a beautiful picture and list of all the steps necessary in QSilver7's location of an online BMW TIS for the E39 (1).

I don't think even the mechanics get anything better than that complete description for removing and replacing the oil pan.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift_engine.png
Views:	2317
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	252757  
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM

For people who wonder what this job (replacing oil pan gasket) entails, this is a DIY from a 3-series but also using the same M52 motor.
The 2 major items are:
1. Engine Hoist to support the engine when the subframe is removed.
2. Subframe removal is a major PITA.

Here you go:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=665810
Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM

For the crosslinked record, as I consolodate the bestlinks cites into fewer links, making more canonical with cross references, note that I changed the bestlink cite today for the oil pan gasket DIY from...
- How to identify an oil pan gasket leak (1) & how to remove & replace the E39 V8 oil pan gasket (1) (2) or the E39 I6 oil pan gasket by dropping the subframe (1) (2) (3) & hints how to replace the rigid metalized I6 oil pan gasket without removing the subframe (1) (2) & how to build or buy your own hoist & engine-support tools (1) (2)

To:
- How to identify an oil pan leak (1) & how to remove & replace the E39 V8 oil pan gasket (1) & how to replace the E39 I6 oil pan gasket by dropping the subframe (1) & the Mudbone / cn90 trick to cut and replace the rigid metalized I6 OPG without removing the sub frame (1) & how to substitute pure RTV (i.e., no gasket) for the 6-cylinder E39 oil pan gasket without lowering the sub-frame (1) & how to build or buy your own hoist & engine-support tools (1)

See also:
- Magnum BMW V8 oil pan gasket DIY (1)
- E39 6cyl oil pan gasket replacement illustrated (1)
- Do I have an oil pan gasket leak? (1)
- Oil pan gasket repair, partial fail. (1)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gasket1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	454529   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	454530   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	454531   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	454532   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket5.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	454533  

Name:	gasket6.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	454534   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket7.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	454535   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket8.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	454536   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket9.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	454537   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket10.png
Views:	34
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	454538  

Name:	gasket11.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	454539   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket12.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	454540   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket13.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	454541   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket14.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	454542   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket15.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	454543  

Name:	gasket16.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	454544   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket17.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	454545   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket18.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	454546   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket19.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	454547   Click image for larger version

Name:	metal.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	454548  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf E39 6cyl oil pan gasket replacement illustrated.pdf (1.12 MB, 24 views)

Last edited by bluebee; 07-26-2014 at 10:56 AM.