Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
97 740iL - Electric fan questions

After hearing stories of exploding fans, and realizing that my car has 180,000 miles and my fan clutch has probably never been changed, I want to get an electric fan kit for my car. I've done this on my father's 1992 towncar using an electric fan from a newer towncar and a $50 kit from summit racing. The towncar was easy because the block had a bunch of unused plugs for antifreeze, so when I needed to install the temperature sensor from the kit, I just replaced the plug with the sensor.

So my questions are...

1. Are there any unused plugs on an early M62B44 motor that I can replace with the sensor?

2. If there is, what is the thread pitch for the plug

If all else fails I'll just cut the hose and install a sleeve, but I'd rather put the sensor on the block.
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2010, 01:26 PM

OK...

Well, it's a well known fact that switching to an electric fan gives a small boost in performance. With all the threads made about mods to the power figures of E38s, does the lack of responses mean to say that nobody on this board has switched to an electric fan? Do the later model E38s already come with one? If you have installed one on your car please tell me either which kit you used, or where you ran the temp sensor.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Bored Worker

Mein Auto: 540i/6 4/99
There are aftermarket kits that use an external probe- it sticks between the fins in the radiator...
1992 BMW K75s Cafe build
Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 PM

It looks like those are my only options as I can't seem to find anywhere else to put a temp sensor. Thanks for taking the time to reply rrtec.