Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.8is
What brand are OEM brakes for an 05 X5 4.8is?

Hi Guys,

Do you know what brand the OEM brakes are for the 4.8is? My right front brake is starting to squeak at really low stopping speeds and I just cleaned and checked them, they are fine. Rotors look good too. I was reading different forums and others were saying it could be caused from an aftermarket brake pad. So I would like to buy an OEM brake set for the front, but I'm not sure which brand to buy! Thanks for your help

Last edited by Katie822; 06-24-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
BMW

sorry couldn't resist

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Wrong answer. BMW does not make most of the parts for their cars, this goes for any other car brands as well. You may see the BMW logo on the part, but it does not mean BMW made it from scratch.

The right answer is........ I don't have it. Can't you just have the mechanic pull it apart and see if it has any labeling?

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 06-23-2010, 04:53 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Actually, and without any funny stuff !

Brake squeal is usually caused by dust!
The brakes themselves combat this by having a thin shim called an "Anti-squeal" shim between the back of the pad and the caliper piston.
you can help this by applying a very small amount of Copper grease between the back of the pad and the shim, just a thin smear, don't over do it !

You can buy that Copper grease in most Automotive shops.
I use it when I'm servicing the bike, it works.

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 AM

Well the brakes were changed before I bought it and I don't believe they are stock. So I don't think looking at the brand would help. And we just took them off last weekend, cleaned everything really good and applied a little anti squeak grease; to no avail. I was hoping that was all it needed! A friend of mine works at a brake shop and said he's heard of the problem many times and the only remedy is BMW original pads. I was just hoping to find out who BMW has manufacture them so I can (hopefully) get them cheaper than going to the dealer!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Katie you can get OEM pads cheaper on line than going to the dealer. Try realOEM.com as a start. Is there a dealer in Clovis or do you go to Fresno?

Last edited by UncleJ; 06-24-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 AM

I just go to the dealer in Fresno. I checked online for BMW brakes first and I found a couple of places. The cheapest is from bavauto.com for $250 with no tax/shipping. But that's still really expensive! I just feel like it's one of those scenarios where once it has the BMW name, the price goes up $100. I read yesterday that someone said the 4.6 stock brakes are made by Mintex. So maybe the 4.8 is as well...And if that's the case, I can get those for $75 - branded as Mintex and not BMW. According to Bavauto, the OE BMW brakes rank the lowest on their chart based on dust, noise, friction and fade-resistance. But they are also wayyyy more expensive than the highest ranked pads which are ceramic (Cool Carbon brand). I guess I'll go with a cheaper (but better ranked) brand first and see if I have any squeaks or issues. What do you think?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie822 View Post
I was just hoping to find out who BMW has manufacture them so I can (hopefully) get them cheaper than going to the dealer!

Unlike many other mechanical parts, brake pad compounds vary considerably, i.e., even if you knew who made the brake pads for BMW you would not necessarily be getting the same compound that BMW specifies by buying their brake pads. Most manufacturers selling to the aftermarket would not want to duplicate the BMW specified compound as it is quite dusty and results in lots of complaints.

So the only way you can really be sure you are getting pads equivalent to what came on the vehicle is to buy them from BMW with the BMW stamp on them.

Now, BMW will claim that the pads they sell are dusty as that is a side-effect of getting the best compromise in overall brake performance and rotor wear. Others will tell you that there are many aftermarket pads which are not only better than BMW's and less dusty, but also cheaper.

You have to choose who to believe.

P.S. If you want the BMW-branded pads, check places like getbmwparts.com, or call the dealers who advertise discount parts in Roundel magazine, such as BMW of Lincoln, Nebraska. I have used getbmwparts.com a few times with no problems, but have not tried any of the other mail-order OE parts places.

Last edited by Penguin; 06-24-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Unlike many other mechanical parts, brake pad compounds vary considerably, i.e., even if you knew who made the brake pads for BMW you would not necessarily be getting the same compound that BMW specifies by buying their brake pads. Most manufacturers selling to the aftermarket would not want to duplicate the BMW specified compound as it is quite dusty and results in lots of complaints.

So the only way you can really be sure you are getting pads equivalent to what came on the vehicle is to buy them from BMW with the BMW stamp on them.

Now, BMW will claim that the pads they sell are dusty as that is a side-effect of getting the best compromise in overall brake performance and rotor wear. Others will tell you that there are many aftermarket pads which are not only better than BMW's and less dusty, but also cheaper.

You have to choose who to believe.

P.S. If you want the BMW-branded pads, check places like getbmwparts.com, or call the dealers who advertise discount parts in Roundel magazine, such as BMW of Lincoln, Nebraska. I have used getbmwparts.com a few times with no problems, but have not tried any of the other mail-order OE parts places.
Cool thanks for that! The price at getbmwparts.com is $210, cheapest price thus far.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 PM

A lot of BMW folks I know swear by Hawk pads too. Haven't researched them much but they seem to be popular. Check with Gary at Tirerack (a bimmerfest sponsor) and see what they recommend. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: M6, M3, DINAN 750iL, Z8
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Do you know what brand the OEM brakes are for the 4.8is? My right front brake is starting to squeak at really low stopping speeds and I just cleaned and checked them, they are fine. Rotors look good too. I was reading different forums and others were saying it could be caused from an aftermarket brake pad. So I would like to buy an OEM brake set for the front, but I'm not sure which brand to buy! Thanks for your help
With the exception of the 8 Series, which came equipped with Brembo brakes, BMW (and most of the other German manufacturers) sources their brakes from ATE. If you remove the calipers on the X5, any X5, as I did when I replace the OEM pads with lower dust ones they have ATE stamped on them.

That said, I don't know how that helps you since you can't buy directly from ATE. The only place to get OEM replacement parts for your BMW is the dealer or a parts house like Bavarian Auto.

///M Blitz (AKA Dan)

- 88 M6 (33K mi - original owner)
"The best M6 in the World" - BMW Car mag. (Nov. 05)
**First place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2006
**First place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2011
- 89 DINAN 750iL (69K mi - original owner)
**Second place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2008
- 98 M3 (65K mi - original owner)
- 03 Z8 (8K mi - original owner)
- 12 X5 Diesel (dd)
-------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-24-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
A lot of BMW folks I know swear by Hawk pads too. Haven't researched them much but they seem to be popular. Check with Gary at Tirerack (a bimmerfest sponsor) and see what they recommend. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the recommendation, I appreciate it!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
With the exception of the 8 Series, which came equipped with Brembo brakes, BMW (and most of the other German manufacturers) sources their brakes from ATE. If you remove the calipers on the X5, any X5, as I did when I replace the OEM pads with lower dust ones they have ATE stamped on them.

That said, I don't know how that helps you since you can't buy directly from ATE. The only place to get OEM replacement parts for your BMW is the dealer or a parts house like Bavarian Auto.
Hmm, very interesting info. Thank you, I wasn't aware of that. And since you said I can't buy from ATE then you're right, I'll just have to order the branded BMW pads if I decide to go that route. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: M6, M3, DINAN 750iL, Z8
Quote:
Hmm, very interesting info. Thank you, I wasn't aware of that. And since you said I can't buy from ATE then you're right, I'll just have to order the branded BMW pads if I decide to go that route. Thanks!
BTW, ATE has nothing to do with the OEM pads, which come from a company called "Pagid." ATE only makes the brakes; i.e. the calipers and the rotors (as well as the master cylinder and other bits).

///M Blitz (AKA Dan)

- 88 M6 (33K mi - original owner)
"The best M6 in the World" - BMW Car mag. (Nov. 05)
**First place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2006
**First place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2011
- 89 DINAN 750iL (69K mi - original owner)
**Second place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2008
- 98 M3 (65K mi - original owner)
- 03 Z8 (8K mi - original owner)
- 12 X5 Diesel (dd)
-------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-24-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
BTW, ATE has nothing to do with the OEM pads, which come from a company called "Pagid." ATE only makes the brakes; i.e. the calipers and the rotors (as well as the master cylinder and other bits).
Oh...Ok. So the stock pads are manufactured by Pagid?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 AM

Katie, pagid pads appear to be available for consumer purchase too. Google pagid brake pads and you will get more info and the company website too. Very interesting.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Katie, pagid pads appear to be available for consumer purchase too. Google pagid brake pads and you will get more info and the company website too. Very interesting.
Yeah I did that yesterday and they're also featured in bavauto's parts catalog. They're ranked as the second highest replacement pad, according to them... And they're not too pricey either. They state to have quiet operation. Maybe I'll give those a try
Old 06-27-2010, 06:59 AM

Let us know how they worked out please. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Let us know how they worked out please. Good luck!
I definitely will, thank you! It's going to be a little while before I buy the pads. Even though the squeak is driving me nuts, I might as well wait until the pads need to be changed...sigh.