Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 coupe
M3 engine failure

I leased a new 2010 M3 coupe, and after only 500 miles, I suffered a broken rod and subsequent engine failure. I opted for the DCT instead of the manual transmission.

I have not seen my car for over 11 weeks. A regional rep downloaded computer data, and it was determined that the engine failed due to an "RPM" issue. I have been unable to obtain any specifics and have tried, unsuccessfully, to get a copy of this data for review. The dealer will only say that the recommended 4500 RPM limit was exceeded. Nothing else was noted from the data.

After 3-4 weeks, I was finally informed of the reason why the engineers felt the engine failed. A decision was made by BMW that the problem was not covered under warranty and would therefore not be repaired under warranty. I contacted a customer rep, and after over two months of waiting, a decision was finally made that the car would be repaired under "goodwill". I have previously leased an M3 convertible, 545 i and a 2008 335 xi coupe.

Despite the fact that the car will be repaired, BMW has shown me that it is a classless operation. The company has shown no professionalism, and I have had to personally call multiple times and write multiple letters before something was finally done. It looks like the only reason they decided to repair my vehicle was because I have a track record with BMW. What if this M3 had been my first BMW lease/purchase? To not stand behind an M performance vehicle is outright embarrasing and weak. I have received no apologies from the company, and they have been frankly conceited and indifferent.

I have loved the BMW brand until now. I will have to live with this vehicle for the next three years, but after that, BMW can go to hell. There are many other companies which certainly have more pride in their vehicles and turn out excellent products. I understand that automobiles are mechanical and that there is the chance of catastrophic failure, but I cannot accept that a company simply blames "RPMs" for a complete engine failure (especially with a DCT) without the consideration that the problem may have occurred on the assembly line or in the manufacturing of a part.

If there is anyone reading this post who has any further information or knowledge of similar occurrences, I would love the hear from you. If there is anyone reading this post who is associated with BMW, a simple apology and explanation may change my mind concerning the company. Right now, I am mad as hell as my brand new vehicle has been sitting in a garage for almost three months while I have made three payments during that time.

If BMW were to have shown more concern, I could have stomached the situation a lot better. I am a physician and have many coworkers who drive nice vehicles. After finding out about my situation, I know of 4 friends and coworkers who were previously considering an M3. Now, they are not only not considering an M3 but not considering BMW at all. This has occurred without me even making an active effort to voice my displeasure over the recent event.

The Joy of Driving my ass- more like the ultimate nightmare!
Ads by Google
Old 03-10-2010, 03:51 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLittle View Post
The dealer will only say that the recommended 4500 RPM limit was exceeded. Nothing else was noted from the data.(...) Despite the fact that the car will be repaired, BMW has shown me that it is a classless operation. The company has shown no professionalism, and I have had to personally call multiple times and write multiple letters before something was finally done. It looks like the only reason they decided to repair my vehicle was because I have a track record with BMW. What if this M3 had been my first BMW lease/purchase? To not stand behind an M performance vehicle is outright embarrasing and weak.
I will offer just a few observations, without necessarily wanting to defend BMWAG or BMWNA.

1. If you did in fact exceed the recommended RPM limit for break-in, then they could very well have cause to deny you a warranty claim. While many people do it nod-nod-wink-wink, you are definitely running a higher rate of wear & tear during a time when the manufacturer recommends moderation. So can you say, hand on heart, that you did nothing that could have caused this?

2. I would not be too sure that another company would behave better. Do not bet anything on this, certainly don't rely on anecdotal evidence.

I think you do have a point that BMW should stand proud behind all their products, especially so for their halo/high performance cars.

But ultimately your complaint is about their bedside manner, which can be a little ironic coming from a physician . In the end, they did fix it. Do some more reading on what headaches can happen when manufacturers refuse to provide warranty service and count yourself ultimately lucky to have been taken care of, albeit in an unclassy manner.

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Stuck in Monday

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
First, let me say that I understand your frustration in dealing with a large company like BMW in connection with a situation that is out of the ordinary. Friends and family of mine have had warranty issues with many different "luxury" automakers, including Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti, and the one thing that could be said about each of those situations is that they were frustrating. This does not excuse any poor or less than professional treatment you received from BMW, but trust me when I warn you that the grass is not greener on the other side.

Second, as a physician, you probably understand what's at stake when something major like this goes down. Although less is at stake here, if one of your patients perceives that you've made a mistake with drastic consequences, you almost inevitably anticipate legal action of some kind being taken. Well, when BMW denies a warranty claim to replace a $25k engine, you better believe they're anticipating that you'll escalate the situation. This puts BMW in the tough situation of giving you good customer service while having to be very careful as to what they say (any good lawyer will tell you that the less you say, the better). So you might think about that and cut BMW a little bit of slack in juggling your interests and their's, especially since they ultimately did right by you.

Third, if you failed to follow the break-in guidelines, which are clearly stated in your owner's manual and on a windshield sticker, frankly, BMW would have been well within its rights to deny your warranty claim. Regardless of which transmission you had, you should have known not to exceed the rpm limit for the first 1,200 miles, but you admittedly did so. That would be like one of your patients not following your instructions and then coming back and blaming you when health issues arose as a result.

Long story short, I think you need to cool down and appreciate the positive in this situation. You're getting a new/fixed engine under warranty. Life's too short to worry about water under the bridge anyway.

Welcome to bimmerfest, and hope you stick around. There's lots of good info here.

Last edited by TLudwig; 03-10-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
Were you advised there was a breaking period and not to exceed 4500rpm?

What actually happened when it blew?

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
As a employee of BMW for 38 years, I think the time to give you a answer one way or the other was no acceptable. The factory rep has guide lines to follow for BMW NA. I have seen
them refuse repair before, but for customer error. You can tell me, did you, say rev to poss. 7000 rpm, maybe the guy that preped the car did. It's all hard to say. Now that the car is repaired and back to you, they should have atleast paid a few months on the lease
for the time you were left out in the cold with no answer. I am sorry you had that problem,but don't blame BMW of NA poss. another dealership would have handled it a little different.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
What TLudgwig said!

Also interesting to note that you made no comment in your post as to whether you followed the break-in instructions and whether you dispute BMWs assertion of an 'rpm issue'. Inquiring minds would like to know.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 PM

M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLudwig View Post
First, let me say that I understand your frustration in dealing with a large company like BMW in connection with a situation that is out of the ordinary. Friends and family of mine have had warranty issues with many different "luxury" automakers, including Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti, and the one thing that could be said about each of those situations is that they were frustrating. This does not excuse any poor or less than professional treatment you received from BMW, but trust me when I warn you that the grass is not greener on the other side.

Second, as a physician, you probably understand what's at stake when something major like this goes down. Although less is at stake here, if one of your patients perceives that you've made a mistake with drastic consequences, you almost inevitably anticipate legal action of some kind being taken. Well, when BMW denies a warranty claim to replace a $25k engine, you better believe they're anticipating that you'll escalate the situation. This puts BMW in the tough situation of giving you good customer service while having to be very careful as to what they say (any good lawyer will tell you that the less you say, the better). So you might think about that and cut BMW a little bit of slack in juggling your interests and their's, especially since they ultimately did right by you.

Third, if you failed to follow the break-in guidelines, which are clearly stated in your owner's manual and on a windshield sticker, frankly, BMW would have been well within its rights to deny your warranty claim. Regardless of which transmission you had, you should have known not to exceed the rpm limit for the first 1,200 miles, but you admittedly did so. That would be like one of your patients not following your instructions and then coming back and blaming you when health issues arose as a result.

Long story short, I think you need to cool down and appreciate the positive in this situation. You're getting a new/fixed engine under warranty. Life's too short to worry about water under the bridge anyway.

Welcome to bimmerfest, and hope you stick around. There's lots of good info here.

I appreciate your comments.

I realize that BMW is not the only company facing these issues. My beef is in how they handled the situation. As a physician, I know that the manner in which I treat my patients is extremely important. Maintaining open lines of communication and not running from problems minimizes adverse consequences. BMW has failed miserably in the communication department.

As far as your comment regarding break-in guidelines, it is funny how these guidelines are completely ignored when cars are test driven at the dealership. A double standard indeed. I hope you realize that these "break-in" guidelines are nothing more than a loophole protecting the company. Another bit of legalese.

Have you faced a similar problem yourself? I am a very patient person, but it is hard to remain "cool", as you put it, after having waited for almost THREE MONTHS for the company to resolve this issue- that is not cool.

I hope I can one day forget about this experience, but only time will tell.

Again, thanks for your response.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
What TLudgwig said!

Also interesting to note that you made no comment in your post as to whether you followed the break-in instructions and whether you dispute BMWs assertion of an 'rpm issue'. Inquiring minds would like to know.
As for break-in instructions, I made every attempt to stay within the guidelines. The car was driven back and forth to work, period! I don't understand why BMW will not provide specifics regarding what the RPM issue is. If I had the data, I could answer your question.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM

M3 coupe engine issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
Were you advised there was a breaking period and not to exceed 4500rpm?

What actually happened when it blew?
This is the fourth BMW I have leased over the past eight years. Of course I was aware of the BMW break-in policy. Every auto manufacturer has this policy which is nothing more than legalese to protect the company. How ironic that the dealerships don't abide by this policy when trying to sell vehicles.

When it blew, the car was downshifting from third to second (DCT). There was an obvious "break" in the engine and the check engine light came on with a message stating that is was OK to drive to the nearest dealership.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I will offer just a few observations, without necessarily wanting to defend BMWAG or BMWNA.

1. If you did in fact exceed the recommended RPM limit for break-in, then they could very well have cause to deny you a warranty claim. While many people do it nod-nod-wink-wink, you are definitely running a higher rate of wear & tear during a time when the manufacturer recommends moderation. So can you say, hand on heart, that you did nothing that could have caused this?

2. I would not be too sure that another company would behave better. Do not bet anything on this, certainly don't rely on anecdotal evidence.

I think you do have a point that BMW should stand proud behind all their products, especially so for their halo/high performance cars.

But ultimately your complaint is about their bedside manner, which can be a little ironic coming from a physician . In the end, they did fix it. Do some more reading on what headaches can happen when manufacturers refuse to provide warranty service and count yourself ultimately lucky to have been taken care of, albeit in an unclassy manner.

Thanks for the comments.

I understand that other companies would probably behave in a similar fashion. My beef is that it has now been almost three months since I have seen my car driven for only 500 miles. Put yourself in my position- I bet you would not like it as well.

As for the RPM issue, I cannot say that I did not exceed 4500 RPMs. I asked for specifics on several occasions regarding the disputed RPM claim but have not been given this information. I am still trying to obtain this data.

As for your bedside manner comment, you better believe that this is important. I can tell you that patients are referred to me in part because of good bedside manner. I realize that not all physicians care about bedside manner nor do certain automobile companies.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 PM

M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman M Coupe View Post
As a employee of BMW for 38 years, I think the time to give you a answer one way or the other was no acceptable. The factory rep has guide lines to follow for BMW NA. I have seen
them refuse repair before, but for customer error. You can tell me, did you, say rev to poss. 7000 rpm, maybe the guy that preped the car did. It's all hard to say. Now that the car is repaired and back to you, they should have atleast paid a few months on the lease
for the time you were left out in the cold with no answer. I am sorry you had that problem,but don't blame BMW of NA poss. another dealership would have handled it a little different.
Thanks for your post.

BMW NA was the only positive in this experience. I don't think that I would be able to communicate with BMW Germany as much as I would like to.

BMW NA did do the right thing even though it took months. I don't know how much of a difference another dealership may have made- maybe you can give me some insight on this.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Some dealers have more push than others and some reps are easier to deal with. Talking to the father land would not have helped.

Running-in Instruction:
- up to 1200 miles / 2000 km: no full-throttle, max engine speed: 5500rpm, max speed: 106 mph / 170 kmh
- up to 3100 miles / 5000 km: max constant speed 137 mph / 220 kmh, max speed only for short periods
Observe Owner's Handbook

Last edited by Oldman M Coupe; 03-10-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Rocket Scientist

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
Note that the RPM limit before 1,200 miles is a recommended 5,500 rpm, not 4,500.

There is nothing that prevents operation higher than that. Also the owner's manual does not state that operation above 5,500 rpm will result in voiding the warranty. What it does state is "Please follow the instructions below in order to achieve the optimal service life and economy of operation for your vehicle."

Even the tachometer's engine oil temperature driven prewarning field is not off limits. The manual states "Avoid engine speeds in the prewarning field, if possible." Again no mention about voiding the warranty.

Also with M-DCT it should be impossible to exceed the engine's rated redline. Between fuel cutoff an gear selection logic I don't see how you could exceed the redline. Of course a software error might allow an otherwise prevented condition.

In the past with the S54 engines there was a time when, if I recall correctly, the ECUs were known to reflect excessive engine speed, falsely, likely due to a data initialization error.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
As for break-in instructions, I made every attempt to stay within the guidelines. The car was driven back and forth to work, period! I don't understand why BMW will not provide specifics regarding what the RPM issue is. If I had the data, I could answer your question.
Either way, exceeding the break-in limit should not have resulted in a rod breaking and the fact that it happened at 500 miles certainly indicates a mfg. defect to me. Shame on BMW for taking 3 months to handle this, denying the warranty and then agreeing to pay for it.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: '09 M3 Jerez/6MT
Hey JR,

Maybe I missed something but did you say whether this was an "ordered" car or one you just picked out from the lot? There are undoubtedly test drivers out there who could care less about the 5,500 RPM limit, or about waiting for the engine to properly warm up before pushing it. For these reasons, plus the fact that I'm just pretty anal about other people driving my car, I have ordered the two M3's I have owned rather than take one from the lot. I took delivery of my '09 w/2 miles on it.

I would suspect that unless you were regularly redlining every gear from day one that you most likely just got unlucky and something was already damaged before you took delivery. BMW doesn't know what caused the failure, but if they can prove that SOMEONE broke the RPM rules then they'll blame the owner.

Through my own experience I can attest that BMW guys ain't perfect. At my 1,200 mile service the tech pinched the gasket on my oil filter and I leaked oil for three days before I just happened to notice a puddle forming on my garage floor. I was none too happy about having to call a flatbed to come and get a car with only 1,160 miles on it, although my neighbors were laughing their asses off!

I'd say the fact that BMW finally agreed to fix your car means that they have some doubt about what actually caused the rod failure. I sincerely hope things improve for you.

SJ
Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 AM
BMW Fahrer

Quote:
I hope you realize that these "break-in" guidelines are nothing more than a loophole protecting the company. Another bit of legalese.
Anybody with any significant education in the mechanical arts that I've asked has told me that it is not so. I have been advised that a break-in procedure is advisable if I want to keep the car long term - perhaps not as strict as the manufacturer recommends, but that it should be there.

Edit: I've just thought of an analogy... Just like smoking can cause cancer - it definitely does for some, but not for everyone. Does that mean I should go ahead and light up a pack a day, in the hopes it won't happen to me?

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
93 Miata LE
Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 AM
BMW Fahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Note that the RPM limit before 1,200 miles is a recommended 5,500 rpm, not 4,500.

There is nothing that prevents operation higher than that. Also the owner's manual does not state that operation above 5,500 rpm will result in voiding the warranty. What it does state is "Please follow the instructions below in order to achieve the optimal service life and economy of operation for your vehicle."

Even the tachometer's engine oil temperature driven prewarning field is not off limits. The manual states "Avoid engine speeds in the prewarning field, if possible." Again no mention about voiding the warranty.
All this is true. But at the same time, BMW only warrants the engine against manufacturing defects, not abuse in operation. I don't believe there's any place that says, warranty against any sort of failure...

If you run the engine at redline for 2 hours in your garage and it blows up, there is a very slim chance they will replace it under warranty.

So the OP may have indeed had some legal recourse if BMW didn't follow through finally. He could have forced BMW in court to provide engine failure analysis data, which can potentially identify a manufacturing defect. Then again, what if you cannot prove it?

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
93 Miata LE
Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
I sure hope they provided you with a loaner for the past 3 months. I don't blame you for being mad as hell. I know I would be. I can't believe it took them 3 months to decide whether they would fix the car under warranty or not.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
JRLittle I actually just bought a brand new 2010 M3 sedan on Tuesday March 9. For that being said I am new to the BMW family (switched from Audi). When I bought the car it had 50 miles on it i have since put an additional 60 miles or so on the car. this morning I went to go to work and the check engine light came on. Since Tuesday I have not brought the car on highway, exceeded 55 mph and have been watching the rpms like a hawk due to the strict break in period (the car is manual). the highest I have gone was maybe 5000 (getting adjusted with the instant power of this machine).

I brought the car immediately into the dealer this morning and waited there for 2 hours before telling me that computer in the car has locked them out and they can not perform anymore tests for 3 additional hours. They mentioned to me that the secondary air pump was shutting down but could not tell me why they were getting this type data from their diagnostics.

Now i just paid cash for this car and gave them a mint 2006 S4 as a trade in. When I was talking with the service rep about giving me a car to drive while this is being fixed they had no "loaners" to provide me. Instead I am driving a ****ty rental chrysler 300 that smells like death and smoke (no offense to those that smoke). They have hundreds of cars on the lot not to mention I just paid cash so I feel that I should have been giving a BMW until this is resolved.

I am having serious consideration of asking them to just find me a new car since this already occurring at 100+ miles on the odometer. I understand your frustration. I didnt look but are you in a state where the "Lemon Law" applies?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLudwig View Post

This Warranty running in period is too BMW in the UK "VITAL", I have tried to express this in many threads,and been laughed at.
The running in period RPM's are logged in each car sold, if exceeded BMW "MAY" take action and invalidate warranties. I am sorry for the OP but this was bound to come up on these forums sooner or later.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorem3 View Post
I am having serious consideration of asking them to just find me a new car since this already occurring at 100+ miles on the odometer. I understand your frustration. I didnt look but are you in a state where the "Lemon Law" applies?
Good point that is exactly what you should do. Who knows what condidtion the car will be in at lease turn in.

Those 50 miles the M3 had on it could have all been performance miles. Not break-in miles.

Was the car warmed up before going on test drives?

Did the people test driving exceed 5500 rpm?

If you do ask for a new car get one that just comes off the truck that has not been test driven by potential customers.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
This Warranty running in period is too BMW in the UK "VITAL",
I have no idea what the heck you just said, but if you are implying that exceeding 5500 RPM in the break-in period causes broken rods, then I'm sure we would have seen a lot more. Furthermore, I'm sure BMW would have installed software to prevent such an occurrence if it were as 'vital' or whatever you said.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
The bizarre thing about this whole thing is something no-one seems to have yet realized; that the broken engine and the high RPM/warranty denial thing are not necessarily related... in fact, I'm presuming from the actions to far from BMW that the two are actually unrelated.

BMW recommend a break-in procedure in their manual... and yes they do log all that data to be pulled when the car is serviced. The odd thing about this situation is that the "excessive RPM's" were pulled from the system at a time when the car happened to be in for a blown engine... it could just as easily have been for a software upgrade, or an iDrive problem. The denial of warranty was almost certainly because of the "excessive RPM's", not necessarily because OP had blown their engine... the two are not necessarily related. BMW may well even have denied some other warranty repair (blown strut, failed brakes... whatever) based on the high RPM's found in the computer, even though they also are not related.

The "Goodwill" repair by BMW is exactly as it sounds; a goodwill repair because OP blew their engine and they have elected to ignore the exceeding of RPM during break-in. They, like us probably think that an engine throwing a rod so soon in its life MUST be a manufacturing defect. I would find it really difficult to imagine you could thrash an engine so hard in the first few hundred miles to cause that kind of failure.

Now, of course there's the question of whether BMW are legally entitled to deny you warranty coverage if you exceed their recommendations... that's a question for an attorney. The way I see it, unless you have signed an agreement that specifically states that you will not exceed a certain RPM during a certain period, then you cannot be held liable. However, as I said that's really something an attorney would have to speak to.

Simply put, lemons happen. I have seen a 911 leave the contents of its transmission all over the highway at just over 300 miles because of a manufacturing defect. I really feel for OP here... they were really just unlucky in this instance, and the experience with the dealership was awful. However, BMWNA is a company that's mired in the same legal hell that all companies are in... the excessive RPM's may have been a factor in the time taken to make a decision, but having worked in other large companies with similar legal issues I can say it's quite possible that it was tied up between the legal and engineering departments for at least half that time trying to make a decision on whether or not a new engine was needed, justified... and quite possibly someone trying to figure out whether or not the damage could realistically be pinned on the customer... and all of this without the information about the RPM's. Further, there may well have been an engineering analysis of whether or not a thrown rod after so few miles were even possible. Yes, they'll actually do that before even looking at the car itself. Dontcha love large corporations?

My suspicion is the two are not related... but I have been known to be wrong on occasion
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net

Last edited by thumper_330; 03-11-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 PM
BMW Fahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
I have no idea what the heck you just said, but if you are implying that exceeding 5500 RPM in the break-in period causes broken rods, then I'm sure we would have seen a lot more. Furthermore, I'm sure BMW would have installed software to prevent such an occurrence if it were as 'vital' or whatever you said.
Really?

What if you had to get away in a life threatening situation? No artificially lower RPM limit can exist because of liability concerns.
Repeatedly braking from 150mph will melt your brakes, BMW should have installed software to prevent that.
Running at redline in 1st gear at all times will obliterate your engine in a short time. BMW should install software to prevent that.
Dumping the clutch at 8000 RPM will only work a few times - BMW should install software to prevent that.

There is simply no end in sight to the situations that can damage your car severely. BMW cannot - and should not - account for this. That's why they must have a clause in the warranty contract that lets them off the hook in case of vehicle abuse.

As long as they can prove it - or as long as you cannot prove the contrary, you are at their mercy. This aspect must be understood - even if you totally choose to disregard it.

Read about the warranty cases denied by Nissan for enacting driving actions/procedures that were properly described in the GT-R's manual (launch control).

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
93 Miata LE
Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 PM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Please don't tell me the M3's are also problematic, I'm looking to pick one of these up in a couple of years. Hopefully a normally aspirated one.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson