Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Heated Seat Burn - 2005 X5

Thanks all.....

Last edited by jpajak01; 01-27-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: old
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 4.8is
I tend to run mine on high all the time when driving home from the office. It really relaxes my back. Maybe she'll burn down?

So do you need to replace your seat then?? Seriously, what a drag!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 PM
brodie@morrisracing.net

Mein Auto: '01 X5 4.4i
In my X5, where the leather has worn down (driver seat, lower, left side back), you can feel the metal (or atleast thats what I think it is) and if your shirt is raised up a little in the back when you're sitting there with the seat heater on Level 2 or 3, it'll burn your back. Even if I just stick my finger on it, it nearly burns me within two seconds.

2001 BMW X5 4.4i - Jet Black - Beige Leather - Sports Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, 20" Aftermarket Wheels
2002 BMW 745i - Sterling Grey Metallic - Black Leather - Convenience Pkg - Sold
1999 Chevrolet Corvette - Arctic White - Tan Leather - Convertible - Sold
2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 - Silver Steel Metallic - Black Leather - 425HP, Navigation - Sold
Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
yep

Fixing seat soon.

Last edited by jpajak01; 01-27-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: old
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
This is kinda common to be honest. Next time don't pour water on a potential electrical fire...

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Heater in seat that is just one of the Problems or should I say common problems

I hate to say this, but our X5 4.8is is also a victim of this. I know that every time we have something wrong with our X5 all I hear is that is common.

We have so much happening to a High dollar car it is sad. Why does everyone accept that it is common?

I don't understand I know lower end cars that have almost no problems, and American cars that run forever. Is that not why we buy BMW to have a great quality car? With less to go wrong and long lasting enjoyment?

I hate to say this, but after 5 BMW's this one has got me wondering were they are going in the future with the car company.

X5 4.8is well over maintained.... 83,000 miles

#1 Panaramic sunroof back section will not open. and the cloth between the (2) pieces of glass needed to be changed. it was cracked and dried out allowing it to leak in to the tray that split it, and then into the car. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#2 Headlight wiper motor is leaking out the reservoir. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#3 Seat heater is burning on the right side of the seat And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#4 Air Bags have fallen and will not allow the car to go up. (Been replacing them 1 x 1) And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#5 The window regulators are breaking and need to be replaced 1 x 1. This is a very stupid thing I have had this happen on my other BMW's and it seems as if they have not fixed it yet WTF BMW. And I am told this is common on all BMW'smad:

#6 The Door hand on the out side to open the door broke. It is a small part in the door that cost 250.00 and another 250.00 to install WTF I tried to get this done with the regulator and they wanted 750.00 to fix both. I am not a mechanic, but I put the back one in. for 135.00 myself. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#7 The Navigation screen is Pixelating. In case you don't know what that means. It is loosing Pixels that creat the picture they are not working this leaves the screen with small dead squares, and as the accumulate it has dead black patches all over the screen. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#8. The Buttons on the HOME LINK are rubbing off! Not sure why they would make it with a spray over coating. Once again on just about all these issues is BMW not better then the other guy. And if so why are we paying this much for there cars. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#8.5 Almost forgot. the fan on low has a very high pitched squeaking noise, and the buttons on the Heater control are falling off. And I am told this is common on all BMW's WTF

#9 The Transmission about 35-40 mph you would hold your speed steady and it would start down then up shifting very rapidly. I was told because the Fluid would get dirty attach dirt the the band and sensors inside and cause this problem. ow And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#9 This is separate but I believe goes with #10 as you will read. But the dip stick is not reading the oil level correct. I know this cause after just about every test you can preform as you will read in #10. We drained the oil and put exact amount of oil in the car. it did not show up on the stick. This is not common, but one mechanic the last has told me the 4.6is and the 4.8is was back to back build and they have heard stories the wrong oil pain was put on the 4.8is motor as it would bolt up the decisions were different. As the dip stick checks out it is the appropriate one with the correct length and part number.
#10 OK here is one of the last things I can remember and this is the biggest issue for joining any BMW board and telling my story of this BMW.
The Engine is smoking. Yes when it gets up to temp or even right before it starts to smoke. if you let it ideal it will leave the car behind you in a sea of smoke. This started about a year ago. We have put over 4000.00 into this with not a single mechanic (out of 3 companies) being able to find a problem. Our Local BMW shop told us with a service inspection that we need a motor. We ask how this cam about and the said they have seen this before. I ask what test they ran and the Mechanic was out to lunch and did not leave any notes. We will call you. No call. Next Mechanic. Sprayed the motor down. did a leak down a compression test and a whole lot of other test replace some valve that mixes are into the Block/ and or head. That was one recommendation from another forum. This all cost a wooing 1700.00 still no results. After some time and study they thought they had a fix called us in and explained some stuff they were going to try and do with no luck another 1200.00.

I was driving down the road and found another mechanic with German cars outside they had a 4.8is for sale so I stopped in the owner also a mechanic was all about the cars. He never heard of what was going on with mine except 1-8 all the common stuff of course. He did say he read a few things about the 4.8is and was curious if this was what was happening to ours.
The smoking problem could be from #9 and it has been overfilled all its life of 83,000 and built up in the exhaust. (don't get how come it took this long to smoke?) They check the pan it was the appropriate pan for the Model of the car WTF. They flushed the transmission to clean out the shifting problem and it seem to do the trick (then 1 month later it was back not as bad but it came back) this all cost around 1400.00 for diagnoses and flushing. I know this is not common as of what I know right now, Maybe it soon will be, but it is not yet. With all these problems can someone explain to me why I would by another BMW?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

You seem mad.

Modern BMWs cap out their problem free life around 50k. Older ones didn't cap out until 150k-200k. My X5 has half the "problems" in your list, but these are all just wear and tear. Mine is well maintained and around 93k miles. All of the parts in the car have useful lives that are shorter than your expectations, but you complain when you have to replace them. I do some of the easy things myself, because I find wrenching on my cars to be fun! The passenger side regulator, for instance, was pretty easy and fascinating to see how it worked. When I bought mine, the driver side door handle on outside wasn't working. It's an easy fix, but labor rates in your area seem high.

The trade off is the drive. I love my X5. It's definitely the people mover. Super comfortable and more power than I need. Plus it looks awesome. I'm an enthusiast, so maybe I put up with more grief from the cars than regular drivers. I don't see a problem there. Maybe an out of warranty BMW isn't for you?

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 AM

Just letting the Next guy know what to look forward to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
You seem mad.

Modern BMWs cap out their problem free life around 50k. Older ones didn't cap out until 150k-200k. My X5 has half the "problems" in your list, but these are all just wear and tear. Mine is well maintained and around 93k miles. All of the parts in the car have useful lives that are shorter than your expectations, but you complain when you have to replace them. I do some of the easy things myself, because I find wrenching on my cars to be fun! The passenger side regulator, for instance, was pretty easy and fascinating to see how it worked. When I bought mine, the driver side door handle on outside wasn't working. It's an easy fix, but labor rates in your area seem high.

The trade off is the drive. I love my X5. It's definitely the people mover. Super comfortable and more power than I need. Plus it looks awesome. I'm an enthusiast, so maybe I put up with more grief from the cars than regular drivers. I don't see a problem there. Maybe an out of warranty BMW isn't for you?
I don't understand why all the things that happen are Common?

Mad. you bet these cars are not cheep, but seem to be manufactured that way.
As you can read I have had many BMW's 1989 325i, 1990 325ix, 1995 M3, 2001 325i sport, and now 2004 X5 4.8is, and yes the older ones seem to have all the Technology that you would expect from BMW and the Life expectancy too. But why is all down hill now?

Do we sit back and wait for them to come around just to tinker and learn how to work on them? I use to have the time for this and now I am to busy.

I get frustrated with Tech's that say they know just to find out they don't Take your money send you on your way. This goes for BMW certified Dealerships Also. (@ 126.00 per Hour) Backed by BMW. I am glad you have not experience this and that goes for anyone that has not.

With this being the case of a X5 4.8is that has significantly more Common Problems then. I would think that BMW would love to get there hands on it and see what went so wrong. It seems though reading a lot of the forums and Blogs. It is not that it went so wrong most of the subject matter is COMMON and I got all the COMMON symptoms in one package. except the uncommon dipstick not reading correct. and to top it off it is leaking oil now. Imagine that another thing wrong. Brand New around $70k and all this to dump another 10,000-15,000 don't quite get it.

Common problems. I have talked to BMW USA also and they tell me that is not common and they would love to help if it was under warranty. My fight is not over. I will tell just about everyone I know the Happenings with a Car that is so expensive just out of warranty.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Well, if I may make suggestions:

1) Stop going to BMW dealers for service. Out of warranty work on modern BMWs is prohibitively expensive. The last hope was that since they are a dealer, they can do the work the best, but even this is no longer true.

2) Since you aren't going to the dealer for service anymore, it is imperative that you find an independent mechanic that you can trust with your BMW. I'm lucky in that I live less than 10 miles from the best Indy BMW guys within 300 miles. Not exaggerating, I know a guy who lives in Tracy that drives out here for service. Their labor rates are much less than the BMW dealers, and they usually finish twice as fast. Parts are still expensive, but at least you're not paying retail like you would at the dealer.

3) I've never had an E30, but I definitely know a thing or two about the E36. Your '95 M3 probably had many 'common' problems that you may not have noticed, or got rid of the car before they occurred. Just an example, the cooling system is NOTORIOUS and NEEDS to be preemptively replaced every 100k miles. Notice the change there: a problem every 100k miles instead of every 30k-50k. I agree the modern BMWs seem to fall apart more easily, and there are probably a million theories as to why. My point is BMWs aren't designed for in-expensive out of warranty ownership anymore. BMWUSA makes a LOT of money on service these days. The best way to minimize your expenses now is to invest in a really good inspection and preemptive maintenance. It hurts some now, but will hurt much less later. On the other hand, you may already be past this point. That's up to you and your new mechanic to decide.

And back when I had my 6er, I had an issue with the crankshaft position sensor that took months to diagnose. Two different dealerships failed to find the problem and I eventually found and fixed it myself. I figured with a 2004 645Ci, the dealer would be the best place to take care of it, but boy was I wrong. In the end, once I got her back on the road, I didn't care anymore. The juice was worth more than the squeeze!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-24-2012, 01:45 PM

You make as many suggestions as you wish, but I do notice you must not be reading the posts, just defending BMW. I get that as I was to a die hard BMW fan. I get everything you have to say. and about my previously owned cars.

If you read instead of defend you will see I have been to not 1 but 2 independent German Mechanics. and only 1 BMW dealer. The reason we went to the dealer is it was not far out of warranty and the independent guy could not even tell me were he would start, and suggested I take it to the dealer also.

I get that other BMW's have problems also. I get that a great deal specially reading the forums. and as you stated.

"odern BMWs cap out their problem free life around 50k. Older ones didn't cap out until 150k-200k." This is what I am trying to point out. It is not as if they are getting cheeper to keep up with other car manufactures. But with not standing behind there cars like this one, under 100,000 and brushing off a customer that is know to having more then (1) BMW. I can prove family with M5's M6's and another X5 4.8is also one with a 740il and all with Common interest on what happens with this one to decide on the future of there purchases too.

So I know you want to protest my post. I get that. I did not put it on to argue with someone just to state the fact we all seem to fail very badly when we accept such high end cars and all the common problems they have.

If you compare you will understand. I also have a 2001 F-250 it has 255,000 miles runs like a champ. in the last 100,000 miles it has only need a fuel pump 2 window regulators, Tires and Brakes. The sad part it cost Brand new Less then this X5
Old 01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

I read it. You need a GOOD independent BMW mechanic. I'm not protesting your post, just trying to open your eyes a bit. Not everyone is OK with accepting that modern BMWs are only reliable in the first 4-5 years of use. (Even then, not so much it seems.) and I understand that. There are those of use who ARE OK with these things, still.

For those that require long term reliability, there are other options. The F-150 and its brethren are awesome machines, and their sales figures show to reflect that, too. Not everyone buys a car for reliability as the priority one. If they did, this is all the research anyone would ever need: http://www.jdpower.com/autos/article...esults/page-3/

Perhaps someday my views will change. Given the current status, I'll probably start getting new cars with warranties instead of having 2 older cars, but time will tell. When/If they do change, I'll still understand when others are willing to deal with the issues.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
I read it. You need a GOOD independent BMW mechanic. I'm not protesting your post, just trying to open your eyes a bit. Not everyone is OK with accepting that modern BMWs are only reliable in the first 4-5 years of use. (Even then, not so much it seems.) and I understand that. There are those of use who ARE OK with these things, still.

For those that require long term reliability, there are other options. The F-150 and its brethren are awesome machines, and their sales figures show to reflect that, too. Not everyone buys a car for reliability as the priority one. If they did, this is all the research anyone would ever need: http://www.jdpower.com/autos/article...esults/page-3/

Perhaps someday my views will change. Given the current status, I'll probably start getting new cars with warranties instead of having 2 older cars, but time will tell. When/If they do change, I'll still understand when others are willing to deal with the issues.

Ow trust me the eyes are open. I don't get how it can be ok to say I am going to buy a 70K + dollar car and it may fall apart in 4-5 years, I don't buy a house for 3 times that and go ok this is going to burn down in 10-15 years I would hope that no one would. Not quite sure, but sounds to me that you either work for BMW? or Make so much money it is not an issue? I know that most that purchase a BMW of this magnitude have more money then they know what to due with, will not drive the car like it should be and sell it before it is time to do all this cause the new model is out. but then I guess BMW made there money and don't care after that point. I am just stating the down right fact. and weather it is reliability or down right lets go driven and have some fun. I believe that the value is lacking on there end. Once again I have driven there older cars with both. The reliability and the fun factor. Why would they take that away and say deal with it. And even more important. Why are you willing to also?