Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Power Flow Intake Kits

Yo guys, I'm new to your forum but not to the BMW family. I have a 2002 325xi and I don't drive it that much since I also have two sportsbikes and a Tahoe which I seem to drive the most. I don't drive the bimmer much due to minor problems with the car and $hitty service from a local dealer (I was just turned off by the entire BMW scene). I'm driving the car more these days (due to good gas mileage) and it's a waste to have this beautiful black car just parked with a cover on it. I do a lot of business with Bavarian Autosport http://www.bavauto.com/ and I want to remove the stock airbox and filter and replace it with a Power Flow Intake Kit, as a means of increasing the hp a little. I know most "hardcore" enthusiast would spend a ton of paper on a Supercharge or a Turbocharge setup but money is an issue (the ex-wifey almost bleed me dry but I'm about back on my feet).

Have any of you guys replaced the stock setup with an air intake kit and if so did you notice an increase in the acceleration and torque? What about the sound of the engine, did it change any? Below are two of the kits that I'm considering, one is $329 and the other is $384.

Thanks in advance for your comments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PF_BMWE46-385.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	221520   Click image for larger version

Name:	51-10441.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	221521  
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Welcome to the 'Fest. If you find the search feature you'll be able to find threads to keep you busy reading all day on your topic. There's at least eleventybillion of them last time I looked.

Cliff notes...
- the stock intake IS a cold air intake already
- aftermarket intakes make nice sound and perceived performance gains because of it
- they cost way too much money for the benefit received
- k&n filters are teh suxor

If you want sound, get one. If you are looking for 20hp gains at the wheels, not gonna happen. 2-3hp at the engine on a perfect day, which you won't feel in your butt dyno.

I had one similar to the tube item u submitted a pic of on my former E39 with the 3.0l engine. It made great music when I got on the throttle and I felt the throttle response was improved slightly. I did not install it in my E46 when I got it though because to do so I would have had to cut apart some of the brake ducting in the front bumper and didn't think it was worth it since the E46 already gets cool air from that area.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
What Jeff said, times 10....there are more useful things to spend your money on....(upgraded swaybars and new wheels & tires will yield the most noticeable results)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Save your money
Old 03-13-2010, 08:17 PM
home sweet home...

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci Convertible
have you considered changing the rear gears?
prob be best bang for your buck

PREMIUM l COLD l SPORT l XENON l BLUETOOTH l IPOD
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer69 View Post
have you considered changing the rear gears?
prob be best bang for your buck
He has a 325 Xi, which means he`s already pretty well maxxed-out, gear-wise (either 3.23 or 3.46)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 PM
home sweet home...

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
He has a 325 Xi, which means he`s already pretty well maxxed-out, gear-wise (either 3.23 or 3.46)
dang fingers were flyin before brain engaged...haha

PREMIUM l COLD l SPORT l XENON l BLUETOOTH l IPOD
Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Thanks guys for all the comments so far.