Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 335ix
Arrow Tint % ?

Hello Everyone,

My name is Dan and I just bought my very first car, 2011 335ix coupe alpha white after my promotion . I love German engineering and I always followed BMW's since I was a kid. So enough about me, my only question I have is what tint % should I get all around? I know NY law is,

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

I know I'm going to get an illegal tint % but I was looking into 30-35% all around. Can't seem to find any pictures that I can tell are legitimate 30-35% all around. Just want the nice sleek look. If you have a better idea or picture to show me please let me know and link!

Thanks,
Dan
Ads by Google
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390276376.038106.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	418126 My car has 20% all windows i know in NY u cant have your front window tinted it dont matter what % but cops never bother
me lol but i heard some of my friends got a ticket for tinted windows

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I have 15% tint on mine I think. I think 5% is limo tint percentage, where you can shine a light on in and cannot see inside. I chose 15% because my car, being black, got insanely hot in the summer. It looks good I think, but would prefer a look a little less dark. It did however help the heat and blinding light in my car, since I had zero tint before. Only real complaint would be that it is kind of hard to see out of my side windows at night. You won't pay any less for less tint though. Also, where I live I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble with the law for tint. I spent about $165 on mine.

Here's my car with the 15% tint
Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 PM

Also, I wouldn't mess with getting your windshield tinted. Personally, I don't see the point. I could be wrong about the process, but I would assume they would have to remove your windshield to tint it. Aesthetically, the tint from the other windows makes your windshield seem tinted, if that's what you're going for. but if you actually wanted to get your windshield tinted, I could imagine it would be pretty hard to see at night. Plus, you have to trust someone who probably isn't qualified in replacing windshields on BMWs to remove your windshield and tint it, if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty hard to remove the glass without breaking the glass and it's components. If your windshield is fine, leave it.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the pictures so far, does anyone else like BMW's with full tint same percent? or for example, 10% back, 25% rear side, then 35% sides and front?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancingman View Post
Also, I wouldn't mess with getting your windshield tinted. Personally, I don't see the point. I could be wrong about the process, but I would assume they would have to remove your windshield to tint it. Aesthetically, the tint from the other windows makes your windshield seem tinted, if that's what you're going for. but if you actually wanted to get your windshield tinted, I could imagine it would be pretty hard to see at night. Plus, you have to trust someone who probably isn't qualified in replacing windshields on BMWs to remove your windshield and tint it, if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty hard to remove the glass without breaking the glass and it's components. If your windshield is fine, leave it.
Hmm u dont need to take your windshield off to put tint on it but you're right it'll be hard to drive with it lol i see some people to 50% on there windshield it looks good from outside but i already think its hard to see at night with my 20% windows tinted hehe

Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnewb View Post
Thanks for the pictures so far, does anyone else like BMW's with full tint same percent? or for example, 10% back, 25% rear side, then 35% sides and front?
Just go with same % all around if you live on long island i would recommend evolution auto design for you they tinted all my cars Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390311346.708407.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	418146

Mdx 35% all around
335 20% all around
Outback 2 front windows 20% back 5%

Hehe

Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Don't Go Too Dark

Too dark of a tint can be really expensive .........

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...&ed=2014-01-01

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
I would definitely do the same tint % on all the windows but leave the windshield alone. Here is my old 328xi with 15% on the sides and back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	418151  

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
I would definitely do the same tint % on all the windows but leave the windshield alone. Here is my old 328xi with 15% on the sides and back.
How come I should leave the windshield alone? and nice picture!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the responses so far!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnewb View Post
How come I should leave the windshield alone? and nice picture!
I think you need your best vision out of the windshield and tinting the upper 6 inches just doesn't look all that good. I have never seen a car that had a completely tinted windshield, but if you have varying %'s of tint on different windows I think it throws the whole look off.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
I think you need your best vision out of the windshield and tinting the upper 6 inches just doesn't look all that good. I have never seen a car that had a completely tinted windshield, but if you have varying %'s of tint on different windows I think it throws the whole look off.
Understandable, and I'm more leaning towards 30-35% all round plus front windshield unless the visibility at night is really that bad?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 PM

I just thought they would remove the windows to place the tint on it. Like I said though, where I took it, getting more tint didn't cost more than getting less. Since you're in New York and aren't really looking for protection from heat, I would probably just go with 35%. Take it somewhere good to get it done, you don't want bubbles in your tint. And yes, visibility at night is pretty bad out my side windows, which are all 15%. Getting your sunroof tinted isn't really necessary in my opinion, since you can just close the blind to eliminate light all together. Plus, if all your side windows and rear window is tinted, then opening your sunroof when your other windows are up gives your inside a really pleasant lighting in my opinion. Also, if you're a fan of having your windows down when the weather is nice, go ahead and get the job done. In the cold, the windows need about 5 days to cure before you can roll your windows down, or else it will mess up the tint. I made the mistake of waiting until mid summer to get mine done and not being able to get the hot air out of my car while my AC wasn't cool yet was pretty miserable. Just get either 15% or 35% now on your side windows and rear window and see how you like it. Go back and do your windshield later if you want. I can't imagine you'll spend more than $200 on it, and you won't regret it.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancingman View Post
I just thought they would remove the windows to place the tint on it. Like I said though, where I took it, getting more tint didn't cost more than getting less. Since you're in New York and aren't really looking for protection from heat, I would probably just go with 35%. Take it somewhere good to get it done, you don't want bubbles in your tint. And yes, visibility at night is pretty bad out my side windows, which are all 15%. Getting your sunroof tinted isn't really necessary in my opinion, since you can just close the blind to eliminate light all together. Plus, if all your side windows and rear window is tinted, then opening your sunroof when your other windows are up gives your inside a really pleasant lighting in my opinion. Also, if you're a fan of having your windows down when the weather is nice, go ahead and get the job done. In the cold, the windows need about 5 days to cure before you can roll your windows down, or else it will mess up the tint. I made the mistake of waiting until mid summer to get mine done and not being able to get the hot air out of my car while my AC wasn't cool yet was pretty miserable. Just get either 15% or 35% now on your side windows and rear window and see how you like it. Go back and do your windshield later if you want. I can't imagine you'll spend more than $200 on it, and you won't regret it.
Yea i can careless about the sunroof but I will wait to get front windshield done. Now i just need to save up for a new lip and hood .