Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-14-2010, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 325i Touring/Wagon
Angry changed valve cover gasket...still leaking?

Hello all..having built up enough courage, I decided to try and replace the valve cover gasket ('02 325i wagon). Everything went smooth, but now it's leaking at one bolt site. It's weeping on the top lip of the valve cover at the bottom of one of the bolt holes. I fear a crack..any opinions? Everything torqued to 8 ft-lbs, tried to follow z tightening pattern, use sealant where reccommended. I can see no other leaks except this one. Picture is a little further down

Last edited by aceshigh; 03-14-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 AM

nnnkay, so there is a hairline crack, I'm assuming from the last person who replaced it. It's located roughly at the lip and valve cover bolt housing. Since this area is not under dramatic pressure (please correct me if I'm wrong), any tips on sealing this hairline crack? Maybe vcs? I'm also thinking of changing out vcg rubber grommet, and replacing with additional metal washer. My theory is that it won't 'flex' as much, and if I'm able to put some sort of epoxy down, this would help it keep its' hold. Any reccommendations are welcome, as I would like to avoid the $200 out of pocket, and 1/2 days worth of work.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 AM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Pics please?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Pics please?
I will upload shortly...thanks for your interest.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	221608
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh View Post
I will upload shortly...thanks for your interest.
for your viewing pleasure..thanks in advance everyone!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 AM
The one and only

Ouch. I assume that's the part part of the engine and not the cover itself, right?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Ouch. I assume that's the part part of the engine and not the cover itself, right?
no, it's the valve cover..picture is upside down taken from a mirror. The light colored metal is the engine, everything else black in color is the valve cover.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 AM
The one and only

Oh ok. Well I'm not exactly sure, but is it possible to put some high temp sealant over the crack? If not I would guess that a new valve cover is in order...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Oh ok. Well I'm not exactly sure, but is it possible to put some high temp sealant over the crack? If not I would guess that a new valve cover is in order...
Your question is my solution..as I'm wondering the same thing. In theory it sounds correct, but still a bad scenario either way you look at it. The thing that sucks is that I tore everything apart, replaced gasket, grommets, plugs, plug connectors, and it still wound up leaking..
Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 AM
The one and only

Yea, what I'm thinking is that even with some sealant on it, say that out of nowhere your oil separator fails or some excess pressure builds up it will come out through that crack and maybe get bigger.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yea, what I'm thinking is that even with some sealant on it, say that out of nowhere your oil separator fails or some excess pressure builds up it will come out through that crack and maybe get bigger.
Maybe BMW should have made these vc's out of something that wouldn't crack if some idiot torqued to hard. Suprising that it would only take 15-18 ft lbs to crack something of importance such as this. I figured the bolt would break before the cover. Thanks for your input solidjake..
Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
OHHH I see what I'm looking at now. So your VCG is fine, its your actually valve cover thats cracked right?
I guess you could seal it up nice with some high temp, quick drying, non-washable, etc. sealant stuff..... but next time you do your VCG, I would invest in a new valve cover as well. Good luck
Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
For best results, be sure to thorougly clean and degrease the area around the offending crack, both inside and outside, to make sure the sealant sticks well. But yes, you will have to replace the VC on the long run.

2006 325Ci