BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which one guys?

Need opinions!

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Ryans323i 
#1 ·
It's coming down to crunch time, the new paint job is just around the corner. I'm for sure getting a new front bumper (either CSL v1 or v2 rep, or maybe even MtechII), CSL trunk and different mirrors. Here's where I need help. I don't have the $$ for a new rear bumper and have been playing with photoshop to see my options of modding w/ just paint. Do not be cruel, my PS skills suck but you should get the idea.

As it is now, just for reference, not an option in poll.
Photobucket

Body color painted lower molding and CSL trunk
1)
Photobucket

Painted black below lower molding, CSL trunk, body color painted exterior trim, painted handles black
2)
Photobucket

Painted black below lower molding, CSL trunk, body color painted bumper trim, black handles
3)
Photobucket

See less See more
#9 ·
The CSL trunk is fine, but the black body molding & handles disrupts the flow & continuity....and I know that black and red is your preferred theme, but I would love to see some nice silver wheels on that car....

#10 ·
I don't like my back bumper either. That trim strip is a really busy design detail for the car. How about leaving your trunk alone and instead buying a performance package rear bumper and rockers? You could add the M3 lip spoiler if you're looking to make the car look a little racier.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I'm definitely thinking very hard about this decision. Please keep them coming!

There's an 'fanatic who's car is in the direction I'd like to go. I'll attach a picture. Yes, there's a ton of differences, it's a facelift, his color is custom, I'd never go that low, his rear bumper is a custom modified mtech II, etc. But overall it's a red sedan w/ CSL trunk and front bumper, black wheels and accents. I just think it looks a little boring with the side trim color matched, thoughts?

Attachments

#16 ·
The color-matched trim looks sedate *only because of those black wheels*, which tend to drag everything else down....the absence of light or color in the wheel wells is (IMHO) a serious downfall, and a major travesty to such a nice ride....

#13 · (Edited)
He needs to spend a couple of bucks on a real camera...

That's a ZHP rear bumper on the car. It looks like he left the original rockers on it (kind of tough to tell because the photo is such poor quality). Is that a CSL trunk, or just an added CSL-style lip spoiler?

edit: and yeah, that car is slammed

#15 ·
He needs to spend a couple of bucks on a real camera...

That's a ZHP rear bumper on the car. It looks like he left the original rockers on it (kind of tough to tell because the photo is such poor quality). Is that a CSL trunk, or just an added CSL-style lip spoiler?

edit: and yeah, that car is slammed
In his defense, it was just a teaser pic. It is a CF CSL trunk and oem rockers.

#18 ·
Pffff :rofl: you two! I do greatly respect your opinions, but that's the one thing I'm sure of! The wheels will be staying black.

#22 ·

Yeah Bob, I'd say those are some pretty sick wheels! And I would paint them b!tches black too. lol.

#24 ·
agree w/couple of others above..... simply.....do NOT paint the door-handles black......that looks tacky,...and will be "dated" in no time flat........breaks the continuity......that's something that a 16 year-old would do to his honda civic...... otherwise, all others look ok to me......hope my opinion helps......cheers.....

#25 ·
oh, ...and also agree to above...do not do the black-trim moulding black...it breaks the car in half...AND....agree w/ above about the WHEELS...... you need titanium-silver or chrome to break up the monotony of the red/blk scheme......(try painting the wheels a nice (even dark) satin-silver......lose the blk wheel color.... but that's just me......nice ride.....

#26 ·
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and suggestions. I have at least made one decision, color matched trim. Still not sure about the handles. I kinda agree w/ Saabster that the handles being black could make the car look dated or even civic-ish.

I'm still open to thoughts and opinions, so if you've got one post it up! Hopefully this time next month my Lucy will be getting fresh paint! Time to start ordering parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.