Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: 520d
smart opener (kick to open trunk) retrofit

I added the smart opener to my 2011 F10, this allows you to open the boot (trunk) by kicking under the rear bumper.

Smart opener only works in conjunction with comfort access (option SA322). F10's with comfort access from model year 2012 (built late 2011 onwards) have smart opener as part of their comfort access system. Cars before model year 2012 with comfort access did not have the smart opener feature.
Smart opener cannot be ordered separately. It's included with comfort access. For this reason you will not find it listed as a separate option code.
Smart opener is not related to powered trunk lid (option SA316 automatic trunk lid mechanism). That refers to a motor opening and closing the lid. Smart opener is compatible with both motorized/un-motorized versions. In the powered version the lid opens slowly with a motor, without option SA316 the lid springs up without motor assistance.

About the retrofit
I added the smart opener to my car because it was a March 2011 build and had comfort access but not the smart opener feature. Since my previous car was a 2012 build I really missed the smart opener. Since my 2011 car had comfort access I thought it might be possible to add the smart opener feature and with the right parts it is possible.
You will need to add the parts under the rear bumper and then run a cable from the control unit under the bumper into the front of the car and wire in the control unit. You must then update the software for the footwell module (FRM) to enable the smart opener feature.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf smart opener retrofit.pdf (831.8 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by riku2; 04-02-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2015, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550I xDrive
Thank you very much riku2. I searched from a long time all parts needed for this retrofit for my F10 2010. I will purchase the parts next week, but could you tell me where you found this prices? In the local BMW dealer this prices are significant higher.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 AM

the prices come from the etk.cc site mentioned in the document but i've been buying parts from http://www.schmiedmann.fi/, they are about 10-20% cheaper than BMW dealers although seldom have what I want in stock but will get it within a few weeks. I saved a lot when retrofitting the heated steering wheel I wrote about in another post.
For the smart opener I actually bought used parts from germany, the parts worked ok but the seller did not include all the parts they had pictured in their ad. So I had to buy some again locally. They didn't reply to any of my emails when I said they'd sold me something different to what they pictured they would sell so for that reason they are not mentioned as a trustworthy place to buy from.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:32 AM

Thank you once again. I'll try to find these parts in Germany and will report back what I found.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 550i F10
Absolutely great guide! I would love to see the wiring in the inside of the car!

I have all the parts for the automatic trunk here, now I will order the parts needed for this and will do it in one
Before this I thought its impossible to retrofit this to 2011 cars...
Did you also do the automatic trunk retrofit or did you have it in your car?
Thanks!!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:19 PM

My car came with automatic trunk opening. I would not bother to retrofit that since it costs so much. I bought used parts for the smart opener and have faith that used electrical parts work ok, but used mechanical parts like the motor drive for the trunk opening would seem more risky. You're really only gaining motorized closing since the manual trunk lid springs up on it's own. One nice thing about motorization though is being able to open/close the trunk from the drivers seat (if you drop somebody off and they need to get something from the trunk).
The wiring inside the car wasn't that exciting or complicated which is why I didn't take photos. Pull up the trim covers next to the doors and run the cable under there. I realize now I could have joined the cable near the FRM module but instead ran the cable up behind the driver assistance panel and joined it there. Perhaps even added extra pins to some connector on the FRM/JBE for a real professional job and then there would be no joined cables at all.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:50 PM

So I found a guide with pictures in Japanese, which shows the retrofit of the power trunk. I would like to do both things at once - automatic trunk and smart opener.
Where is the FRM module located exactly?
Old 04-11-2015, 01:02 PM

on a left hand drive car the FRM is behind the lever that opens the bonnet. you can remove the lever and its panel by removing two screws (the japanese instructions for powered boot don't seem to to this. They are for a right hand drive car so i'm not sure what is swapped around between left hand/right hand drive cars).
Old 04-11-2015, 01:11 PM

Thank you, I will open it up and see how it looks.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Today I finished the Smart Opener retrofit. Everything works like it is originally fitted . Thank you riku2 for the advices and all the information.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk 2