Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 386K
Replacing rack and pinion

I found a good looking used piece from a 325 with a mere 170K on it. I took another one out at a pick n' pull a few days ago but I got cold feet on it (the oil pan had a huge rupture on the bottom - must have bottomed out pretty hard, and one of the tie rods looked to have some impact damage), I was seduced cause this one was an early 90s cabriolet with only 155K. But then I came to my senses, took it back, and swapped it for a completely cherry passenger Ricaro seat from the same rig.

Anyway, while taking it out, it became clear that the sub-frame has to come out in order to remove or replace it. I just bent the lower tabs and pulled it out, as it occurred to me that I'd seen the same thing on various other boneyard rigs with rack missing.

My question, and please don't drum me out of the forum, would I be a complete idiot to bend the tabs on my car, and then bend them back up after I install the new/used one? The upper tabs will be untouched and the torque the rack exerts on the sub-frame is side to side, not up and down. Something tells me that I could get away with it but shouldn't do it. Too punk-like. However, I'm a lazy man.

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. - Samuel Johnson

Last edited by cmac2012; 03-16-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Renaissance Dude

The awful deed is done. Harder than I thought it would be but not too bad. I did bend the tabs, didn't have to do it too much, way less than I did when I pulled out the used one.

That's another thing boneyards are good for: practice. Any time you have to pull some interior piece and don't know which way to pull what, go practice at the boneyard. Most of those interior parts are never sold anyway.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e34 540i/6; e30 318i/5
It's been determined that my power rack and pinion is leaking. With some searches here I've found a good link to the procedures on removing, rebuilding, reinstalling it (and yes, bending the tabs slightly was a good idea).

So I got the gasket rebuilt parts kit, and got the rack and pinion out of the car, ready to start taking it apart and then realize that it doesn't look the same as the one in the procedure (from this link:
http://home.comcast.net/~adamsjohn/3...eeringRack.htm).

There are nuts and seals on the rack in the procedure that are not on mine. As far as I can tell, mine isn't serviceable. It is a ZF rack. This is a 1984 318i. I'm not the original owner of the vehicle so I can't say if it's been replaced/rebuilt before.

I'll upload pics of mine later but I was wondering if anyone happens to know if there were/are versions of the racks in these cars that cannot be rebuilt?

"In order to save time, please try to provide some answers even if I haven't written sufficient info for you to respond." -actual customer quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 325i
You can buy rebuilt racks from an outfit in South Carolina. I can't find the web address for it right now as it's bookmarked on my now dead laptop. But another source is www.steeringrack.com, which offers rebuilt racks with a lifetime guarantee for only $219. What are the junkyards charging for used ones?
Old 05-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Renaissance Dude

I hate to treat my car like an aging movie star bit it's no spring chicken, no getting around it. If it had around 200K, I think $200 to $300 would be a very acceptable price to pay for a good rebuild.

As it was, I paid $50 for the used one I found. I must have looked at 10 or 12 before I found the one I wanted. It had very little oil scum in the engine compartment, looked well maintained, and no fluid was in the boots. I think $50 is the ballpark figure for a used one around here.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, I'm thinking at this point, in interest of time, I'll just either send it in to get rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one.

I found this site that has a decent price and pretty good warranty on one: http://www.***********.com/addtocart...80-00518.html#

We'll see how that turns out. I need to get my 318i back on the street!

"In order to save time, please try to provide some answers even if I haven't written sufficient info for you to respond." -actual customer quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:45 AM

So since last post, I went ahead and got this power rack-and-pinion, installed it, and got it aligned. Working great now. Nice to have my 318i back. Now for the 540i......

Old 11-20-2010, 02:50 PM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
You do know I sell refurbished racks for a $100 + shipping right? Better to go with a reman than a used old one IMO.