Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Eagles Witchy Woman 1976

nice

Advertisement
Old 01-10-2015, 08:10 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Too bad for 'fingers' Felder that he couldn't keep his ego in check and got the boot from the band. He was competently replaced, and when I saw them last year, the Eagles still had it, and gave a great show.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:39 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
He wrote a book, Heaven and Hell, about his time with the Eagles. The book has a 4.5 Star ratings on Amazon.

From the inside flap, it says:

Quote:
From the Inside Flap
When guitarist Don "Fingers" Felder was invited to join the already platinum-selling Eagles in 1974, he had no idea what sort of rock-and-roll heaven and show-business hell he was about to enter— -or how hard it would become to tell one from the other. For the next twenty-seven years, Felder found himself deeply involved in a musical career that was musically thrilling, emotionally exhausting, and surprisingly dangerous.
In Heaven and Hell, Felder shares this remarkable journey with a firsthand look at his tempestuous years with the Eagles. Even as he, Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Randy Meisner, Bernie Leadon, and, later, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit became America's most popular and successful rock band, selling tens of millions of records, Felder reveals that greed, jealousy, and creative differences constantly threatened to tear the Eagles apart.
From one sold-out arena to the next, some members of the Eagles blazed a trail of sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll that became as legendary as their music. Felder explains how the famous E3 (third encore) parties, which began as spontaneous, raucous backstage binges, evolved into highly organized orgies, with roadies recruiting gorgeous women from the audience to be chauffeured to lavish hotel suites, where nothing was off limits.
Even further behind the scenes, he reveals the grim test of wills between Leadon, Felder's friend since his impoverished boyhood in Gainesville, Florida, and the duo of Frey and Henley. Despite Felder's attempts to mediate this conflict, it would not be resolved until a tense meeting that very nearly came to blows, which ended when Leadon stormed out of the room, never to return to the band.
Felder also offers a rare glimpse into the creative melting pot that produced such great Eagles hits as "Life in the Fast Lane," "Hotel California," "Victim of Love," and many others. The writing of these songs often involved the entire band, as well as non-band members, such as well-known Eagles collaborator J. D. Souther, Bob Seger, and others. Frequently beginning as a simple guitar lick or a vague idea, these songs took shape through a fascinating process of free association and collaboration, yet, says Felder, even these exciting moments led to friction and bickering.
Filled with hilarious true stories of rock stars on the road, including Felder's first meeting with Keith Richards, who was passed out on a bathroom floor at the time, and Joe Walsh's genius for practical jokes, Heaven and Hell is the book Eagles fans have been waiting for. --This text refers to the Unknown Binding edition
Old 01-11-2015, 07:13 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Felder certainly added guitar licks that are important parts of several songs, but that is expected of a lead guitar guy. He didn't write the words, he couldn't sing them; he added riffs, for his guitar, to the music. That, IMO, does not give him anywhere near the equality with Frey and Henley that Felder thought he deserved.

Steuart (sp?) completely and competently replaced Felder without the Eagles missing a beat. The same could not be said if Henley or Frey left. Of all the Eagles songs, there isn't one that he wrote and takes lead vocals on. He should have recognized his role as a guitar picker, and been happy with that. Or learned to write and sing. Walsh and Schmidt should have been object lessons for him.

On an interpersonal level within the band? I really don't care, or know if this rock band was really any different from others at the time. His contribution to the bands body of work is not that big, compared to the other members, IMO.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 325i/X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
nice

Wit-CHAY woman?...meh...it's no Desporado

Old 01-11-2015, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35i--2002 330ci
It's funny I was listening to the "Eagles" album yesterday for the first time in a long time. I have and like every studio album they ever did. From the early Bernie Leadon (Flying Burrito Brothers) country rock sound to the later Joe Walsh stuff I love them all. Regardless of the lineup any Eagles song is instantly recognizable. That is an awesome video, especially considering the fact that they were doing well just to stand up at the time.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Too bad for 'fingers' Felder that he couldn't keep his ego in check and got the boot from the band. He was competently replaced, and when I saw them last year, the Eagles still had it, and gave a great show.
Was he the child molester dude was that caught in the hotel room with two 15 year olds and a bottle of Quaaludes?

Last edited by Sportsdad; 01-11-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35i--2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
Was he the child molester dude was that caught in the hotel room with two 15 year olds and a bottle of Quaaludes?
Henley called paramedics to his home on November 21, 1980, where a 16-year-old girl was found naked and claiming she had overdosed on quaaludes and cocaine. She was arrested for prostitution, while a 15-year-old girl found in the house was arrested for being under the influence of drugs.[46][47][48] Henley was arrested and plead no contest. He was fined $2,500 and put on two years' probation.[49] Chiles, who was no longer in a relationship with Henley at the time of the incident, later said, "I was shocked to hear about it. He didn't have drugs around the house. It was an accident, I'm sure."[45]

This was copied from Wikipedia--Don Henley--Personal Life---For what that's worth.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:25 AM

^^ Sounds like a nice guy....
Old 01-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwilson View Post
Wit-CHAY woman?...meh...it's no Desporado

I want that leather jacket.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
If wilson can get you that jacket let me know. I'll start reading his posts.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
LOL! Classic!