Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Omni Extaris

Mein Auto: The Axles of Evil
I've been debadged

First my corporate logo fell off my key and then someone liberated the badge off the hood.

I wonder of there are any alternative badges I can put there.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 copy 2.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	483124   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 copy.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	483125  

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
Samuel Clemens

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport
That sucks. Sorry to hear that.

2014 328i Sedan, Estoril Blue, M-Sport package, M-Sport Brakes, Premium Package, Lighting Package, Drivers Assistance Package, Nav
Old 12-25-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
NSFW!!!!

Old 12-25-2014, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
That badge might have self-delaminated by itself. Mine did on my 2002 E46. A garden variety vandal would have tried to pry it away from the hood at the base, tearing up the paint on the hood. Replacements hood badges are cheap, about $35. The replacement isn't laminated, though. It's bare paint on the surface. The paint will eventually come off, but the badge itself will stay on. I duh know about the key badge. Those keys are otherwise great, self-recharging and able to survive the washing machine.

I had a laptop computer with a piece of trim fall off. My wise-*** wife said "Hey, it must be the BMW of computers. Ha, ha, ha."

Last edited by Autoputzer; 12-25-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
That badge might have self-delaminated by itself. Mine did on my 2002 E46. A garden variety vandal would have tried to pry it away from the hood at the base, tearing up the paint on the hood. Replacements hood badges are cheap, about $35. The replacement isn't laminated, though. It's bare paint on the surface. The paint will eventually come off, but the badge itself will stay on. I duh know about the key badge. Those keys are otherwise great, self-recharging and able to survive the washing machine.

I had a laptop computer with a piece of trim fly off. My wise-*** wife said "Hey, it must be the BMW of computers. Ha, ha, ha."
His has been completely removed.

2014 328i Sedan, Estoril Blue, M-Sport package, M-Sport Brakes, Premium Package, Lighting Package, Drivers Assistance Package, Nav
Old 12-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
I found "cheap" alternatives on ebay because one faded and another got stolen. They lasted longer than OEM!
Old 12-25-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badreligion702 View Post
His has been completely removed.
The base of the badge is still there. That's exactly how mine looked. It flew off when I was driving down the road.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Omni Extaris

Quote:
The base of the badge is still there. That's exactly how mine looked. It flew off when I was driving down the road.
The badge was gone but there was about half the sticky tape gunk left on. I scraped the rest of the gunk off with my finger. Looks a bit better than half on.

I noticed it gone the morning after the Stormageddon we had a few weeks ago here in NorCal so it is certainly possible the intense rain (by wimpy Northern CA standards) loosened the gummy stuff and it fell off.

I also noticed a part of the metal ring which goes around the badge had a slight dent in it which could have been where someone pried it off.

Or it flew off in the rain ninja throwing ring style and is embedded into a tree somewhere.

* Six months ago I found a nail about a third of the way up one of my brand new Michelin Super Sport tires.
* And 2 months later both side reflectors liberated themselves - at the same time - from my front bumper. Amazing coincidence!

I feel like my '06 E46 is leaving me a piece at a time.

I'm getting separation anxiety.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
Samuel Clemens

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849

Last edited by paulg; 12-25-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:56 AM

With a dent in the ring, maybe it was hit by a rock, denting the ring and causing the two pieces (the badge face and the clear plastic cover over it) to come off. It seems that a vandal trying to steal the badge would stick his/her screwdriver between the base and the painted surface of the hood. But, two reflectors flying off at the same time is too much to be coincidence. Where do you park? Home and work are the two best places to get a car vandalized. At these places, your car is there a lot and it's predicable when it will be there. Walmart is probably a close third.

BMW's attract vandalism, from people who can't afford a BMW. It's part of the general decay of our culture. I've learned to be very selective about where I park mine. Mine have become pretty much weekend and vacation cars, to limit miles, sunlight damage, and the potential for vandalism. When I'm on a BMW road trip I stay at more expensive hotels that I would otherwise, to minimize the chances for vandalism. I end up driving my beater more than my BMW.

I've also started carrying a gun when I drive my BMW. In the last 13 years, I've had four incidents of aggression from others that could have turned into violence. One of these incidents occurred when my BMW was parked across the street from my house, and I live in a nice neighborhood. I had the car parked there for about an hour while I was cutting my grass. The aggressor did not live in my neighborhood.

My Plan A is always to run, but sometimes that's not possible. So, I now have a Plan B. (Actually, it's Plan G and in Glock.) I'm level headed, and keep myself aware of the laws concerning firearms and the use of deadly force. Florida's laws have been changed to give the gun owner defending himself more rights than he has in many other states.

I had a long-term plan to make my current BMW my beater in a few years and get a Porsche as my next nice car. But, some off those potentially violent incidents occurred when my previous BMW was old and not worth much money. So, the BMW-Porsche plan is off. If I move to a home with a four car garage, maybe BMW-Porsche-beater-wifemobile would be viable plan. I'm militant that when my cars are at the house, they're in the garage. (My BMW was parked across the street because I needed my small two-car garage half-empty to get the lawnmower and other gasoline power implements of destruction in and out of the garage.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 12-26-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 740iL
Can't believe a company like BMW would just glued their logo onto the car. Mine flew off a while ago.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 325i/X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
First my corporate logo fell off my key and then someone liberated the badge off the hood.

I wonder of there are any alternative badges I can put there.

Lost the logo on my X5, just flew off one day this summer driving down the highway.

I had car in for other work and asked about the getting it rebadged. I used to have a Fiat Spider back in the mid-80's which was missing the Farina logo on the side but it was over $100 for a new one. Add 30 years and upgrade to a BMW and I figured the logo was going to be $500+, but it was $51 (Canadian) at the dealer and no charge to install (possibly since I was already dropping several thousand in other repairs.)

Probably still atrocious since it is apparently just a sticker, but at least it keeps the car from looking uncared for and run down
Old 12-26-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkw View Post
Can't believe a company like BMW would just glued their logo onto the car. Mine flew off a while ago.
The new ones are one piece, embossed, and painted. I suspect they'll fade and the paint will come off, though.

BMW has a lot of trouble with trim on the E46's, and a lot of the trouble was caused by excessive heat. I don't think the BMW engineers realize how hot it gets in the US. Door window gaskets were a big problem on early coupe's. My dealer would stock up on them in the spring. The plastic interior trim in the early ones would develop "shatter cracks" when it got hot. The self-dimming mirrors would also fail due to heat. It's possible that the glue used to assemble the three-piece hood badge also would deteriorate over time due to heat.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
I feel like my '06 E46 is leaving me a piece at a time.
That's the biggest clue rt there: Time and mileage. It's very common. The badges across most of my models have 'delaminated' at one time or another. Always on the hood where rocks and debris can start the problem. Even washing the car with a small rock chip can get it started.
  • I've had at least 2 badges come off of the '02 E46- ~95k miles and 12 years.
  • 1 on the '04 X5 3.0 across 100k and 7 years.
  • None (yet) on the '04 x5 4.8is at 62k miles.
  • Two on the '01 3.0 X5 after 14 years and ~100k miles.
  • None (yet) on the '00 540- ~58k miles and 14 years.
  • Countless- including removing the faded painted OE one across 28 years and ??? miles I've owned the '75 '02.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Omni Extaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
That's the biggest clue rt there: Time and mileage. It's very common. The badges across most of my models have 'delaminated' at one time or another. Always on the hood where rocks and debris can start the problem. Even washing the car with a small rock chip can get it started.
  • I've had at least 2 badges come off of the '02 E46- ~95k miles and 12 years.
  • 1 on the '04 X5 3.0 across 100k and 7 years.
  • None (yet) on the '04 x5 4.8is at 62k miles.
  • Two on the '01 3.0 X5 after 14 years and ~100k miles.
  • None (yet) on the '00 540- ~58k miles and 14 years.
  • Countless- including removing the faded painted OE one across 28 years and ??? miles I've owned the '75 '02.
I suspect the badge just fell off although it seems ridiculous. This ain't rocket science.

The side reflectors were most def stolen. And the tire was probably nailed the next week.

Samuel Clemens

Old 01-10-2015, 06:46 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
I suspect the badge just fell off although it seems ridiculous. This ain't rocket science.
You wont believe the timing. I didn't. On the way home yesterday at about 75mph, I noticed something weird fly over my hood and driver's windscreen. I thought it was a bird or maybe a piece of road debris, but that it appeared so suddenly and was gone as quickly was puzzling. Until I got out of the car.

My hood badge had delaminated right in front of my eyes! 62K miles and 10 years on the 2004 X5 4.8is. I'm off to the dealer to get one before my trip to Irving,TX today through next week.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:01 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
They don't build them like they used to.

New (second hand - gift) badge on my hood as of last week.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:18 AM
apprentice curmudgeon

Mein Auto: A bunch of things
Quote:
With a dent in the ring, maybe it was hit by a rock, denting the ring and causing the two pieces (the badge face and the clear plastic cover over it) to come off. It seems that a vandal trying to steal the badge would stick his/her screwdriver between the base and the painted surface of the hood. But, two reflectors flying off at the same time is too much to be coincidence. Where do you park? Home and work are the two best places to get a car vandalized. At these places, your car is there a lot and it's predicable when it will be there. Walmart is probably a close third.

BMW's attract vandalism, from people who can't afford a BMW. It's part of the general decay of our culture. I've learned to be very selective about where I park mine. Mine have become pretty much weekend and vacation cars, to limit miles, sunlight damage, and the potential for vandalism. When I'm on a BMW road trip I stay at more expensive hotels that I would otherwise, to minimize the chances for vandalism. I end up driving my beater more than my BMW.

I've also started carrying a gun when I drive my BMW. In the last 13 years, I've had four incidents of aggression from others that could have turned into violence. One of these incidents occurred when my BMW was parked across the street from my house, and I live in a nice neighborhood. I had the car parked there for about an hour while I was cutting my grass. The aggressor did not live in my neighborhood.

My Plan A is always to run, but sometimes that's not possible. So, I now have a Plan B. (Actually, it's Plan G and in Glock.) I'm level headed, and keep myself aware of the laws concerning firearms and the use of deadly force. Florida's laws have been changed to give the gun owner defending himself more rights than he has in many other states.

I had a long-term plan to make my current BMW my beater in a few years and get a Porsche as my next nice car. But, some off those potentially violent incidents occurred when my previous BMW was old and not worth much money. So, the BMW-Porsche plan is off. If I move to a home with a four car garage, maybe BMW-Porsche-beater-wifemobile would be viable plan. I'm militant that when my cars are at the house, they're in the garage. (My BMW was parked across the street because I needed my small two-car garage half-empty to get the lawnmower and other gasoline power implements of destruction in and out of the garage.

I used to have trouble many years ago. Now, I have either and American flag or POW/MIA plate on the front (I'm a firm believer in both but it depends on what I can find) and a National Rifle Association sticker on the back. Sometimes I'll have a "God, Guns and Guts made America, let's keep all three" bumper sticker on the back bumper. Add this to the fact that I look a little unbalanced (Okay, maybe a lot unbalanced) and nobody really messes with my vehicles.

Text if you want to meet him.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Omni Extaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
You wont believe the timing. I didn't. On the way home yesterday at about 75mph, I noticed something weird fly over my hood and driver's windscreen. I thought it was a bird or maybe a piece of road debris, but that it appeared so suddenly and was gone as quickly was puzzling. Until I got out of the car.

My hood badge had delaminated right in front of my eyes! 62K miles and 10 years on the 2004 X5 4.8is. I'm off to the dealer to get one before my trip to Irving,TX today through next week.
Mine lasted to ~ 118k and ~ 8 years so I guess I am doing well.

NorCal weather is intensely mild which likely babies our vehicles more so than in harsher climates.

Samuel Clemens