Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: '13 Jetta TDI
It's been 21 years since a Canadian team has won

the Stanley Cup. This year, only one Canadian (Montreal) team even made the NHL Playoffs. I'm not trying start a Canada vs. US fight. Could any Canadian Festers give some insight into the sorry state of Canadian NHL franchises.
Ads by Google
Old 04-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Well, considering that no nationality has been more represented than Canada when it comes to player distribution since inception of the NHL, it is questionable to discuss this, but yes, I am ready for a Canadian team to do well and win a cup. Even the freaking Hurricanes and Lightning have one in the past 21 years!

The problem is that it is frankly difficult to win a cup. Market size is not a problem since there are only 7 teams from Canada and plenty of them are in the top 10 or above 50% when it comes to population of metro-areas. Toronto and Montreal have huge traditions as original six-teams and should have a huge fan following. Can't beat the atmosphere of a playoff game in a hockey crazed Canadian city. Sure beats watching Ducks vs Coyotes where most of the attendance shows up 10 minutes after the puck dropped.

Anyway, I don't have any real answers but expect the Canadians to falter again this year, as highly seeded as they might be. I just don't think Carey Price can carry a team to the Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Meh, not into watching a bunch of millionaires play sports. I rather participate in a sport.

"You know, by the time you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions. You may find that you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime ministers, virtual everything" - Bill Clinton

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." -
Old 04-12-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Could playing on a Canadian team = earning less $$$ due to factors such as taxes/USD-CAD exchange rates. If true, free agents might be shunning Canadian teams.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Blue Z4 Lover

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 35i
A few Canadians once told me that Montreal and Toronto can draw huge crowds even when their teams are bad, so why should they pay big bucks for the top players? More than any other sport, NHL Hockey is dependent on the gate receipts more than TV revenue. Don't know enough about hockey to question their premise.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Paul335i, Boston is having another amazing season and are great Stanley Cup contenders. You must be pleased. I was living in Montreal from approximately 1969 through 1981. It was a pleasure living there and watching Montreal win numerous cups.

I am living in Toronto for some time now... enough said.

I do not know why Canadian teams are not doing well for so long. I do disagree with some of the trades and contracts that Toronto management have made for many years.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Here comes trouble!

I think ownership is a big issue for sure and I know very little about who owns the Canadian teams. The mentality is simple, do you either want to field the best team that you can with the money you have or do you want to maximize your profits. The latter usually does not result in winning cups. Once that issue is settled, it comes down to having a smart GM and good coaching. Again, not sure who the GMs are for most of the Canadian teams.

Go Wings!

Quote:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Market size is not a problem since there are only 7 teams from Canada
Chopped it to the part I wanted to address. 7 out of 30 teams, so less than 1/4 of them are from Canada. Right there, statistically, it's less likely that a Canadian team wins. Throw in free agents preferring NYC or LA to Winnipeg, or being put-off by the French duality of Montreal, and it starts getting tougher to land those guys, thus tougher to win.

A team like Chicago has won a couple of cups in the last few years (not calling them a dynasty, but alluding to a good team taking a couple in the time frame), and there just aren't that many chances for only a few teams to win one for Canada.

The proliferation of overseas players has lessened Canada's effect on roster domination of teams, as well. Now, if a Canadian superstar wanted to stay in Canada after juniors, or return via free agency, he can, but a Finnish superstar can come in to a US team and even things out. That wasn't so much the case 20 - 30 years ago, esp with the Russian-born players. At that time Canada supplied many (some would say most) of the talent and there were fewer teams, so odds were up of a Canadian team winning then, as well.

I知 usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 04-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Here comes trouble!

I thought the statistics route would make sense but it still paints a poor picture for Canadian teams.

7/30 teams are Canadian or 23.3%.

Only 1/16 playoff participants are Canadian based or 6.3%. Expected participation rate would be 3-4 teams.

Good point on the decline of Canadian dominance though from a player contribution perspective. When the league was founded over 90% of the players were Canadian. At this point, we are at just over 50%. Still the dominant overall contributor of players but not the degree it used to be.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i/X5 4.8
Quote:
I thought the statistics route would make sense but it still paints a poor picture for Canadian teams.

7/30 teams are Canadian or 23.3%.

Only 1/16 playoff participants are Canadian based or 6.3%. Expected participation rate would be 3-4 teams.

Good point on the decline of Canadian dominance though from a player contribution perspective. When the league was founded over 90% of the players were Canadian. At this point, we are at just over 50%. Still the dominant overall contributor of players but not the degree it used to be.
A good deal of those other 50% of players are Euros and many wouldn't have been able to play in the NHL back in cold war days. Also, we see some "old timer" Canadian NHL'ers who played for American Franchises having kids playing in the NHL. The kids were born in the USA because that's where Dad was working so they are considered American but their "genes" are canuck.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/...r-on-u-s-sons/

Some people were pointing to the low number of teams and making the statistical argument. While this explains some of it (not totally, still under represented) I think the low number of teams produces the problem of 1 bad apple really distorts the results due to the small sample size. The Leafs have been in a sorry state for decades. Part of that is due what other people mentioned (the money comes in no matter what so there is no incentive to pay for a good team( but I think some is due to the flaky management at the top. We had Ballard and then Stravos and now the team is 75% owned by holding company of two communications rivals (Bell and Rogers) and Bell also owns part of the Montreal team.

Wiki says

Quote:
This ownership structure means that, at the shareholder level, Rogers and Bell vote their overall 75% interest in the company together and thus must jointly agree on decisions affecting the company. (If Rogers and Bell owned their interests directly, either Rogers or Bell could be overruled by its competitor in combination with Tanenbaum.) Similarly, Rogers and Bell have agreed that their four (of six) directors on the MLSE board will always vote together, and thus that any disagreements between those two companies will be settled privately without the involvement of Tanenbaum.[251]

Bell has indicated that the involvement of Bell's pension fund is, at least in part, intended to ensure Bell can retain its existing 18% interest in the Montreal Canadiens, as NHL rules prevent any shareholder that owns more than 30% of a team from being involved in the ownership of any other team
This is clearly a recipe for poor management and indicates the teams will be managed by the politics of the board room not the performance of the team.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Here comes trouble!

Oh the Leafs...I hope Shanny can get things going there, but we'll see, since you clearly show ownership is a huge issue with them. I remember that Felix Potvin, Doug Gilmore, Mats Sundin days. Of course, back then the Leafs couldn't win a cup either but at least they made the playoffs.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: can you guess?
The Canadians beat the U.S. in the Olympics.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Displaced Charger Fan

I tried for a couple of years to cheer for the Leafs (they had Matt Fratin), but can't bring myself to any more. Still one of the best sweaters in the NHL, so they've got that going for them...

I知 usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 04-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Here comes trouble!

The Leafs will be back one day...they just have to be. They are to iconic of a franchise to not win another cup. Nobody thought the Red Wings would ever win another cup, or the Blackhawks...who is at the top of the list now? St. Louis or the Leafs? It'll happen...

Quote:
Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 PM
I just don't get it?

Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post
The Canadians beat the U.S. in the Olympics.
Let's talk IIHF World Juniors.

Actually, the Nordiques were really getting close after that cry baby Lindros trade...but I don't think Montreal would have traded Roy to Quebec (which is what put them over the top). Damn I miss that team...their fans did payoffs right.

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
2008 BMW 335xi
2006 MINI Cooper S Convertible
2011 Ford Edge Limited
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Playoffs start tonight! Since the Habs aren't likely to win for Canada this year, either, who ya got?

I like the winner of the Blackhawks/Blues first round series against the Bruins for the cup. Healthiest of the two playing in June takes it home.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Here comes trouble!

St. Louis isn't going anywhere unless they can do a complete 180 at the start of the playoffs. That is hard to do though and I think they might get swept in the first round. They have lost 6 in a row and are 3-7 in their last 10. Not a great way to get ready for the playoffs! I like Colorado in the West and Anaheim has a real chance, though they are heavily leaning on 2 players for offense. In the East I believe Boston are the favorites but Detroit was the only team that beat them 3 times this year, so perhaps they will be in for a fight. If they come out of that one though, I think they'll make it to the Cup final again.

Quote:
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Quote:
St. Louis isn't going anywhere unless they can do a complete 180 at the start of the playoffs. That is hard to do though and I think they might get swept in the first round. They have lost 6 in a row and are 3-7 in their last 10. Not a great way to get ready for the playoffs! I like Colorado in the West and Anaheim has a real chance, though they are heavily leaning on 2 players for offense. In the East I believe Boston are the favorites but Detroit was the only team that beat them 3 times this year, so perhaps they will be in for a fight. If they come out of that one though, I think they'll make it to the Cup final again.
Agree St Louis has a tough situation, to turn it around, but the team that had the best record in the West a couple weeks ago is still there, they just need to find their game. Honestly, I won't be surprised by whichever team wins that matchup.

The homer in me wants to claim Colorado loses in the opening round...

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Here comes trouble!

Let me rephrase that I don't actually like Colorado, in fact, with Roy behind the bench I might actually despise them. Rather, what I meant is that I think they have a chance at a deep run this year. I highly doubt the Wild can challenge them in the first round though.

Quote:
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Montreal vs. Tampa starts in 10 minutes on CNBC. I love the 1st round of the NHL Playoffs!!!!!
Players go all out and there are multiple games to watch each night.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
I just don't get it?

Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
Montreal/Tampa - OT...that's right, wear each other down.

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
2008 BMW 335xi
2006 MINI Cooper S Convertible
2011 Ford Edge Limited
Old Today, 08:00 AM
Here comes trouble!

Surprised the Canadians showed up and took the game in OT. That was a constant back and forth. Also surprised that Columbus gave the Penguins a run for their money. Good to see Dallas come back and make the Ducks work for that win. Gives me hope the Stars have a chance to win Game 2 and take the series back to Texas for a few interesting games at home.

There are some great games on tonight as well! Not sure if I can stay awake for LA/SJ but Philly/NYR will be a grudge match and Blackhawks/Blues should be intriguing if the Blues can halfway get their act together. I think Hitchcock will have them ready.

Quote:
Old Today, 09:31 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Great games to watch last night!
I actually thought Montreal kicked TB's butt in that game (had outshot them 35 - 14 at one point in the 3rd), but TB definitely made their chances count. A little better D and goaltending by the Habs, and that's a 4-1 game. That said, I was happy to watch it unfold the way it did.

As for the Pens, it's the playoffs, time to lay another egg. If they get past Columbus, then the clock really starts ticking. Heard the announcer say last night that when they got a lead, it was their first playoff lead since they won the 2nd round matchup last year - basically that Boston had beaten them so badly, and Columbus was making it such a good game, that he had to make a point of it.

Dallas looked way overmatched down 3-0 in the first. I went to bed, but agree it's good they made a game of it -

Tonight's games could put last night's (as awesome as they were) to shame if everyone plays their best hockey. Love this time of year!

Old Today, 11:22 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Montreal/Tampa - OT...that's right, wear each other down.
I love playoff OT. Keep going until someone scores.