Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: VW
Late 2007 X3 Maintenance, Rattle

I have a last month 2007 X3 production with 12,000 miles on it.

Maintenance: At 2nd 12 month service, they changed oil/oil filter and brake fluid. However, no wiper blades (scrape when cold) or cabin air micro filter. Also no engine air filter replacement (which I had expected). What maintenance should be covered under warranty, and what additional service is desirable (I'm accustomed on VW's and Porsches seeing a detailed check list)? The "free" maintenance seems minimal.

Rattle: The car generally drives very well with no unusual noises except: Has developed a rattle in the rear going over sharp bumps. Sounds like a window panel. The previous winter it was the spare tire carrier, which I keep tight now and the rear hatch it tight. Seems like it might be a rear door window or the rear, fixed sunroof glass when I pound on it. Also, occasional small water leak inside right rear door; they tried re-attaching the vapor barrier a year ago.

Also two short check engine lights and twice recent hesitation in first gear starting from a stop light.

Thanks for any heads up on these issues
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
maintenance is done by mileage. you won't see your first Inspection I till you hit around 30,000 or so. otherwise, it's just yearly oil change. Also, you have to ASK for wiper replacements, they won't just do it.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Sometimes they'll prompt you to ask for wiper replacement... i.e. Are the wiper blades streaking?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Check your Warranty and Service Guide itemized description of Inspection I.

Should include a couple of time-based actions:
- brake fluid flush (every 2 years from production date)
- check entire body for corrosion (2 years from production date)

This means that a Dealer can do Inspection I for low-mileage owners and get reimbursed by BMW NA.

Exactly when they can do that may not be clearcut - in my case they volunteered to do it at 15K miles/3 years from production date.
It also provides for a microfilter change (as does an annual low-mileage oil service).

On the rattle, have you confirmed that the jack is securely retained with the rubber ties?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
You can stop in any time for a free wiper insert change for all three wipers. Just tell the SA they are streaking and were not changed at the last visit and three new inserts will be slapped on while you watch, or at least that has been my experience.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
nav module bracket

look at the nav module bracket hidden in the cargo area. i looked for a rattle that sounded like a window panel from the back before the dealer found a missing bracket screw.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
My rattle

I had to make two trips to get my rattle fixed. It was with the rear hatch and like you it took sharp bumps to make it do it and it was loud and it was irritating. They replaced one of the upper panels, all clips that hold the plastic cover on, reattached a wiring harness and the one that I think really fixed it was realignment of the latch mechanism. In the process they unhooked my rear washer so another trip for a total of three to get that fixed. This was the most difficult and timely problem I have experienced so maybe this will help you some. It was funny, you could hit large bumps with no noise. It had to be a sharp one like a pothole or when entering on a bridge with a sharp lip.

Now less than a month later I have a reverse light out and they are going to have to go back in to replace a bulb, great, just great. That hatch cover is touchy and a real pain to access with all the fasteners located throughout.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Sun Roof Rattle

Thanks to all who replied. Driving the car with a mechanic in the back seat, we determined that it is the rear, fixed portion of the pano sunroof. Just taking the side of your hand and hitting up from inside the glass clatter was loud. They tightened some of the fasteners, which greatly reduced the clatter, but still can hear some on sharp bumps. Will need to take it back a 2nd time. I'd rather not get into replacing the whole sunroof as it works fine and doesn't leak.

Wiper blades were replaced and in a few thousand miles they may do the Inspection that covers the passenger compartment micro filter and the next oil change. I don't recall seeing a detailed listing of what is done at each of the major inspections (I and II, etc). I tried to download a current maintenance manual from the US BMW site but could not get it to download. Any comments on what maintenance I should expect?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
I just last week had that fixed on mine

We were getting a fluttering sound from the rear fixed portion of the sunroof vibrating with the sunroof open and we were traveling over 40-45 mph.

The fix from my invoice (warranty repair)- "realigned fixed portion so it wasn't hitting the rain gutter. Checked for application of SIB 54 05 08 and applied additional felt tape to sections of the glass".

PROVIDE THEM WITH SIB 54 05 08 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 03-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Where do I get SIB 54 05 08?

Thanks for the replies. The rear, fixed portion of the pano sunroof does sound like the glass clatters directly against a hard strut/frame. I gather from your post that they put in a felt tape to cushion the glass?

Where do I get the bulletin: SIB 54 05 08?

Thanks, Bob
Old 03-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Found SIB 54 05 08

Searched the Forums. Found a post 3-12-2010 by Speed_Addict who says:

By the way, you can look up just about any of the TSB's by simply taking the TSB numbers (#) and inserting them between the "b" and the "g" (i.e., .../bulletin_graphic_temp/b######g.htm) as noted in the example link/URL below in bold text. Next, type or copy and paste the modified link/URL into your browsers address bar:

"http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/b340208g.htm"

Filling in 540508 brought up the bulletin!
Thanks Speed_Addict.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Do Not Go Gentle...

Mein Auto: ist silbergrau
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-Dude View Post
Searched the Forums. Found a post 3-12-2010 by Speed_Addict who says:

By the way, you can look up just about any of the TSB's by simply taking the TSB numbers (#) and inserting them between the "b" and the "g" (i.e., .../bulletin_graphic_temp/b######g.htm) as noted in the example link/URL below in bold text. Next, type or copy and paste the modified link/URL into your browsers address bar:

"http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/b340208g.htm"

Filling in 540508 brought up the bulletin!
Thanks Speed_Addict.
CA-Dude, thank you. This is an incredible tip.