Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
04 Fog Light

My 04 came without Fog Lights to which I want to change and put some in. I can easily track down the OEM bulb/assembly but the wiring is another story. Called the dealer they say there is no such thing as a wiring kit for retrofitting in stock fog lights.
Anyone know anything about the wiring for the fog lights?
This cannot be that huge of a job ( I think )
Plus, not having them I dont know what the switch in the cockpit looks like. Is it a push button or dial or what? I wonder if that switch is available.

Thoughts anyone?

BTW, just got the X3, love it. Got the 6 speed manual, All my friends thought I was nuts, but it is a blast to drive!!! I love the stick-shift
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancevought953 View Post
My 04 came without Fog Lights to which I want to change and put some in. I can easily track down the OEM bulb/assembly but the wiring is another story. Called the dealer they say there is no such thing as a wiring kit for retrofitting in stock fog lights.
Anyone know anything about the wiring for the fog lights?
This cannot be that huge of a job ( I think )
Plus, not having them I dont know what the switch in the cockpit looks like. Is it a push button or dial or what? I wonder if that switch is available.

Thoughts anyone?

BTW, just got the X3, love it. Got the 6 speed manual, All my friends thought I was nuts, but it is a blast to drive!!! I love the stick-shift
Congratulations on your new acquisition and welcome to forum

Take a look at this picture, this is the interior of latest model but overall interior hasn't changed much except for the wood inlay in dash.

You should be able to make out the fog lamp switch left of the steering below the vent right below the instrument light dimmer switch, this pic has euro spec two switches (one for rear fog lights and one for front) but NA spec vehicles get only one for front fog lamps. If you are good with electricals then take a look here http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/ You can see the entire car's wiring diagram. AzNMPower32 has done a rear fog lamp retrofitting in his car, may be he can chime in about front fog lamps as well. I am not sure if some programming may be needed for LCM.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Mein Auto: 2006 325i; 2015 Yamaha R3
The part number for the kit is: 63 13 0 306 624

See this page for the kit contents. http://de.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/63130306624/

You also need to purchase a new headlamp switch, pick the correct switch number depending on what equipment is on your vehicle: http://de.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog...element_light/
Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Apparently, the fog lights were an option, and my X3 didn't come with them.

I bought the retrofit kit from the BMW dealer and installed my own fog lights. As previously stated, you will also need a new headlight switch.

The fog lights are "plug and play", and do not require computer recoding at the dealer. The X3 is not pre-wired for the fog lights, so you will have to install a wiring harness, which is included in the kit. It runs behind the front bumper along the passenger side fender and through the firewall. You will have to disassemble the fuse box to complete the wiring. The required light relay should already be in your fusebox.

The installation is not unreasonably difficult, but it is more complex than I had expected. Do NOT even attempt without the instructions. The dealer will have to print these for you.

Buying the kit was cheaper than buying two individual foglights, and includes all the additional required parts. RealOEM lists the kit price now as $226.95.

Last edited by alpinweiss; 12-30-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancevought953 View Post
Incidentally, congratulations on the X3 purchase! Double congratulations on the 6-speed manual (mine is also 6MT). I also really enjoy driving the manual. I had to do some searching to find my X3 with MT a few years ago; it seems they are not very common.

I didn't like the factory original shift knob, so I replaced mine with a full leather version from BMW.

Last edited by alpinweiss; 12-30-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Thanks for the reply this is just what I was looking for. I'll be getting the kit!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X3
Bulbs but no switch

Hey guys I am curious if anyone has heard of the bulbs being in the bumper but with no switch to turn them on? Its as if they wanted to make it easy to add on later but i don't get it. I am hoping i could buy a new faceplate with a button for fog lamps and be able to plug them in but I dont know if the wiring is even there.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzar View Post
Hey guys I am curious if anyone has heard of the bulbs being in the bumper but with no switch to turn them on? Its as if they wanted to make it easy to add on later but i don't get it. I am hoping i could buy a new faceplate with a button for fog lamps and be able to plug them in but I dont know if the wiring is even there.
My E83 X3 is also a 2004 model. I bought it off-lease in 2007. It did not come with fog lights, nor was it pre-wired for fog lights. I bought the BMW retrofit kit and a replacement headlight switch. The kit included the necessary wiring harness. I did this installation back in 2007, so I may have forgotten some of the details. It was not an overwhelmingly difficult installation; but neither would I consider it trivial. I had to request the instructions printed at the dealer.

I think this is the kit I used. Remember, this was 10 years ago, so things may have changed, and the kit may not be identical to the one I used.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_2172

If I may make a guess, a previous owner of your X3 bought the fog lights, and then gave up when he/she found the installation to be more difficult than anticipated.

BMW CCA member

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search