Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2k2 745 Li and 2k Z3 2.3
I had an interesting situation with my father about five years or so ago here in Houston. He was about 80 at the time and was (still is) quite a good driver. However, he was in the left lane of I-10 driving about 60 mph. Joking, I pointed out to him that in Houston, the center concrete barrier separating the freeway is used to cull out the irritating drivers who drive too slowly in the left lane - a type of survival of the fittest. He told me that in his AARP driver training they told them to drive in the left lane to avoid the drivers coming in and out of the freeway at the on/off ramps!

I just couldn't believe that the largest retirement group in the US is teaching all the elderly to drive in the left lane of our freeways as a default! We have enough freeway shootings here as it is!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 550 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeand7 View Post
I had an interesting situation with my father about five years or so ago here in Houston. He was about 80 at the time and was (still is) quite a good driver. However, he was in the left lane of I-10 driving about 60 mph. Joking, I pointed out to him that in Houston, the center concrete barrier separating the freeway is used to cull out the irritating drivers who drive too slowly in the left lane - a type of survival of the fittest. He told me that in his AARP driver training they told them to drive in the left lane to avoid the drivers coming in and out of the freeway at the on/off ramps!

I just couldn't believe that the largest retirement group in the US is teaching all the elderly to drive in the left lane of our freeways as a default! We have enough freeway shootings here as it is!
What?? No wonder I realized the other night that somehow right lane traffic is lighter than left lane traffic on the interstate.

MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 03-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
He told me that in his AARP driver training they told them to drive in the left lane to avoid the drivers coming in and out of the freeway at the on/off ramps!
Now I know where my grandmother got that same harebrained idea, which she told me once or twice years ago. I wonder if they also taught her that a drink makes her drive better . . .
Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post
Well, guys, let me share a true story just to show it is actually crazier to drive in US than in Europe. I was coming back up to NYC from Maryland last night. As the traffic moving along, I was driving on the left at like 70 mph. I saw a cop car coming along with lights flashing. So I moved into the right lane to yield, just like many other drivers on the left lane. Just about the entire left lane opened up for this Mr. cop, a Toyota Sienna decided to just stop on the left lane to yield instead of move to right. That wrecked havoc. Cop had to slam on the brake and drive around the Sienna, as did many cars behind the cop car.

It was crazy!!!!!!!!!!!
I-95 is like a magnet for the worst and craziest drivers, often in the worst-condition hoopties ever. It's a terrible highway all the way from Miami to Maine (well, it gets a bit better around the New Hampshire border).
Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lensman314
Mein Auto: '11 E92 335i
Quote:
...He told me that in his AARP driver training they told them to drive in the left lane to avoid the drivers coming in and out of the freeway at the on/off ramps!
Is this serious?

'11 E92 335i 6MT/LeMans/MSport/iDrive/BT/USB/HeatedSeats
-Euro-Delivery 06/16-06/21 '10 Pics
'07 E92 335i 6MT/Monaco/Sport/iDrive/BT/USB/HeatedSeats
-Euro-Delivery 06/11-06/18 '07 Re-Delivery 08/09/07 Pics/Log
Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
There's a petition online for this stuff. What a crazy internet we live in!

http://www.petitiononline.com/paidtww/petition.html
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensman314 View Post
Is this serious?
I wouldn't be surprised. I wonder why the AARP people tell them to leave their blinker on, though.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. I wonder why the AARP people tell them to leave their blinker on, though.
I don't know, but the Rotary Club tells them to avoid left turns, and to instead make a series of right turns. No lie!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 550 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine View Post
I-95 is like a magnet for the worst and craziest drivers, often in the worst-condition hoopties ever. It's a terrible highway all the way from Miami to Maine (well, it gets a bit better around the New Hampshire border).
Well, my little incident was at actually on I-295, which makes things worse since it is a two lane highway.

MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2k2 745 Li and 2k Z3 2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensman314 View Post
Is this serious?
Absolutely serious. I couldn't believe it when he told me.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lance View Post
Here's my suggestiion as to why, and it is true without a doubt that the Germans (in general) are the best drivers in Europe....

Learning to drive does not just start from scratch the moment you take your first try behind the wheel. It starts as a child, when you watch how your parents drive. Watching them drive fast but carefully, with consideration for others, on and off the roads, for maybe a dozen years or so before officially learning to drive, probably breeds the same kind of behaviour.

In addition, the Germans have for decades also had the World's best equipment to drive on. You can be the best driver in the World but if you are trying to hurl along at 130 mph in a Cadillac (if they could go that fast) you just don't have the same control as doing the same speed in a BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Germans definitely drive much better than Americans. Obviously this stems from both the home and school. Additionally there are significant cultural differences that carry over into driving. Americans are obsessed doing what ever is best for the individual at the expense of both the community and society. Germans value order and the good of the community over individual rights. They respect authority, laws, and social rules. They are much less consumption oriented than Americans. They are much self-disciplined than Americans.

Plus they have greater penalties for poor driving and automobile accidents. If you get careless on the Autobahn, crash, and get killed, they will close down the Autobahn in both directions, cart the body off to the morgue, remove the bushel basket sized pieces of the car if it is a high speed crash, sweep down the autobahn in both directions, and then give the estate of deceased a monster bill for trashing the Autobahn.
so so true. It's a huge cultural difference. American is filled with vast incompetence and uncaring ppl who will only care about themselves. So many people just live their lives with disregard for others, it's all a "get mine" attitude.

Also, the requirements for a drivers license in this country are an absolute joke. If you have a pulse, you will get your license.

I honestly wish our licensing program was expensive and rigorous like those you see in Europe. Our roads would become far safer and those privileged to drive will have an excellent motoring experience.

The gov't could easily make up this deficit by increasing fees and requiring mandatory training for poor drivers.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to lensman314
Mein Auto: '11 E92 335i
Quote:
Absolutely serious. I couldn't believe it when he told me.
That is very scary.
I dont know what to say without ranting!

'11 E92 335i 6MT/LeMans/MSport/iDrive/BT/USB/HeatedSeats
-Euro-Delivery 06/16-06/21 '10 Pics
'07 E92 335i 6MT/Monaco/Sport/iDrive/BT/USB/HeatedSeats
-Euro-Delivery 06/11-06/18 '07 Re-Delivery 08/09/07 Pics/Log