Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 316i SE
Question radiator losing water/coolant!

hi everyone, i am new to bimmerfest and this is my first post. i hope some one can help me with this issue i have with my bmw 316i se.

my radiator needs topping up with water/coolant roughly an hour or less into driving the car. i have had the radiator, electric fan, fan resister and thermostat changed so far. i have recently had an oil change and have also changed the coolant fluid and have not had any indication that the head gasket is leaking.

for some reason my coolant heats up very fast within 5-10mins and the temp gauge goes up, two thirds of the way towards red and only then does the electric fan kick in. the temp gauge seems to stay two thirds of the way towards red...

i have had a mechanic have a look at this problem but he can not find any leak anywhere.

so can someone please help me figure this out. i can't get my head around how the radiator is losing this water/coolant and why it needs topping up within an hour or so in to driving and also why the coolant temp goes all the way up, two thirds towards red before the fan kicks in.

thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 325I
You didn't replace your water pump?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:37 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Something is being affected by the temperature or a pressure buildup. Have your mechanic do a cooling system pressure test with the engine at operating temperature. If that doesn't find the cause, have the coolant analyed for combustion gases. That usually indicates a head gasket leak. There are kits available at auto parts stores over here, but I don't really know about your side of the pond. A good mechanic should be familiar with this type of test. It's probably not the radiator but could be the water pump, expansion tank, thermostat, etc. By the way, your 316i is probably a four cylinder. All the E46 models in North America are 6 cylinders. There are some differences.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:40 PM

well i did consider replacing the water pump but it dosnt explain where the water/coolant is disapearing too (theres no water leaking from the water pump and the temp gauge does not go to red). however replacing the water pump might solve the temp gauge issue. thanks

Last edited by overheat; 03-19-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by overheat View Post
well i did consider replacing the water pump but it dosnt explain where the water/coolant is disapearing too (theres no water leaking from the water pump and the temp gauge does not go to red). however replacing the water pump might solve the temp gauge issue. thanks
A small amout of coolant coming from the weep hole on the water pump can evaporate on a hot engine and be very difficult to detect. There usually is some residue though. Look for that.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: '02 E46 4cyl & 05'E53 V8
crack/hole on coolant tank
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Tari
Mein Auto: 2001 330i
You have a hole somewhere or one of your hoses are bad try and run the car and see where its coming from.

** pic was a little disturbing for a signature - Tim330i ** ouch -Tari-
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
to each his own..
Old 03-20-2010, 10:52 AM

the car was run for a couple of hours, no steam was detected coming from any of the hoses. theres no steam coming from the radiator either.

catso, i will look for the residue on the water pump. thanks for all your help so far guys!

p.s catso, if there is a small hole in the water pump, would the coolant leak out when the car is stationary and not running, im only asking because i have not noticed any liquid under the car.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:00 AM
catso

Quote:
the car was run for a couple of hours, no steam was detected coming from any of the hoses. theres no steam coming from the radiator either.

catso, i will look for the residue on the water pump. thanks for all your help so far guys!

p.s catso, if there is a small hole in the water pump, would the coolant leak out when the car is stationary and not running, im only asking because i have not noticed any liquid under the car.
That's the "weep" hole. If the bearing or seal is going bad you might be leaking coolant out of there. It could drip out after running for awhile and developing some heat and pressure. Even after the motor is off a small amount might leak out.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:22 AM

right, ill have a look and post the out come. thanks catso
Old 03-29-2010, 03:11 AM

hey guys! i thought id give you an update...my mechanics finally found the problems with my car or so i hope he has! the heater matrix and a plastic pipe at the rear of the engine seems to be leeking. i have bought the parts and they are due to be put on. the mechanics charging me 90 to put the heater matrix and plastic pipe in! ill give you an update once its been put in.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:27 AM

the loss of coolent has stopped, now that the heater matrix and plastic pipe from the rear of the engine has been replaced, however i still have the problem where the fan is only kicking in when the temp gauge reaches two thirds of the way towards red :'(
Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 AM
catso

Quote:
the loss of coolent has stopped, now that the heater matrix and plastic pipe from the rear of the engine has been replaced, however i still have the problem where the fan is only kicking in when the temp gauge reaches two thirds of the way towards red :'(
You'll have to look at the temperature sensors. It might even be a thermostat. Make sure the cooling system was bled properly, it can require two or more attempts to get all the air out. You don't want your engine overheating.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes, they're real!!!

Send a message via AIM to mksu19 Send a message via Yahoo to mksu19 Send a message via Skype™ to mksu19
Mein Auto: '05 325it / '01 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
You'll have to look at the temperature sensors. It might even be a thermostat. Make sure the cooling system was bled properly, it can require two or more attempts to get all the air out. You don't want your engine overheating.
+1 on the thermostat and bleeding the system properly. While you're there, I'd recommend replacing the hoses as well. It took me three times to bleed the cooling system out before it was purged of all the air. A good indication (atleast on the e36's) is the lack of heat in the cabin (heater) when air is trapped in the system. Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
...Not everyone can be as beautiful as Mona and me...

Mona B.