Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 645 Convertible
Let's get some input

I have had multiple electrical problems with my car. BMW and my dealer offered me a cash settlement of 2 payments in lieu of any future litigation. had to sign my life away. Now I'm wondering if I should cash this check. Something seems amiss here. Any thoughts?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i & 2006 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabot View Post
I have had multiple electrical problems with my car. BMW and my dealer offered me a cash settlement of 2 payments in lieu of any future litigation. had to sign my life away. Now I'm wondering if I should cash this check. Something seems amiss here. Any thoughts?
They offered you that even though your car is 5 years old and out of warranty ?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: Cars
this must have been a long battle...since i'm sure they wasn't eager to pay. what sort of problems were you having?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: '05 E64
Well from a legal perspective, signing the paperwork they undoubtedly presented to you, it's a little late to be deciding if you should go that route. In general, cashing a check shows acceptance of the agreement, however, the signing of their paperwork will probably surpass your cashing of the check, or lack thereof.

As far as it being the wise choice...what type of electrical problems did you have? How many days was the car at the dealer? How many times have you presented bmw with a chance to fix the issue? What were the different analysis of the issue by bmw (as they have a tendancy to not "reproduce" the issue at times)?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: '05 E64
Furthermore, a quick call to an attorney who handles lemon-law cases will give you a more precise answer than asking on the forums.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaj View Post
Well from a legal perspective, signing the paperwork they undoubtedly presented to you, it's a little late to be deciding if you should go that route. In general, cashing a check shows acceptance of the agreement, however, the signing of their paperwork will probably surpass your cashing of the check, or lack thereof.

As far as it being the wise choice...what type of electrical problems did you have? How many days was the car at the dealer? How many times have you presented bmw with a chance to fix the issue? What were the different analysis of the issue by bmw (as they have a tendancy to not "reproduce" the issue at times)?
The check is the consideration for the agreement; so, cashing the check signals the acceptance.

DCABOT should not cash the check if they are having second thoughts.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 03-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i c
I would pause and review the agreement with an attorney. Do not cash the check until you feel 100% comfortable. Does the agreement contain language that you have been advised to seek counsel but you have waived your rights? I dont think anyone on this board can you give you any really meaningful advice with out knowing all the facts. I suggest that if you have doubt you seek legal advice.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Multiple IDrive issues, Active Steering, Emmissions, Seat Belt Tensioner and brakes. Not to mention multiple electrical issues prior to me buying this CPO which I just found out. My problems all happened in 7k miles. The car only has 29k on it.When she is right, I love it, but the down time sucks.
And in no way am I blaming the dealer. Just very frustrated.

Last edited by dcabot; 03-20-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Sejanus

My first 6 was an `05 CPO and I experienced several issues with the iDrive and the sensors in connection with the convertible top. None with my former `07 or current `08. I'm relating this because I've seen several posts here about problems with `05s since I've been a member of this forum. I think the `05s may have been a bit buggy in comparison with the other model years. If DCABOT has experienced all these problems in only 7K miles of ownership, then it suggests to me that something is wrong with the car. If it were me, I would meet with the dealer and check the car's service history; and I'm willing to bet that the car has an extensive in-service history. Regardless, I would press the case with the dealer that the problems are abnormal for a relatively low mileage car and ask them to take it back for another car.

-Morpheus
Old 03-21-2010, 06:49 AM

I spoke with the service manager about these issues. though he would not come out and say it he did acknowledge SOME have more problems than others. He also said BMW is totaly revamping the computer system in the upcoming model year because of these issues. To see the looks on the SA and mechanics faces when the car comes in and the past history tells the true story. The bitch is the Stratos Grey is hard to find and when the car is right I love it!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i & 2006 325xi
Quote:
I spoke with the service manager about these issues. though he would not come out and say it he did acknowledge SOME have more problems than others. He also said BMW is totaly revamping the computer system in the upcoming model year because of these issues. To see the looks on the SA and mechanics faces when the car comes in and the past history tells the true story. The bitch is the Stratos Grey is hard to find and when the car is right I love it!
Didn't you ask to see service history prior to purchasing this CPO'd ?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 AM

The exact car I was looking for (color, CPO). Was not in the right mind. I was stupid
Old 03-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
The exact car I was looking for (color, CPO). Was not in the right mind. I was stupid
Don't beat yourself up too badly. I've lived that mistake too! Cars are an emotional thing for guys, and the way I've learned to control my car libido is to keep reminding myself that there will always be a newer and sexier something.

Why would it be too late for you to go back to the dealer and tell them that you've re-thought their offer, and you'd rather them take the car back (or, at least, give you credit for money-in towards another 6)?

-Morpheus
Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 AM

I floated that idea, but got a very cool response to it. May have to push the issue a little. Not having a car I want doesn't help either.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BWM 645ci
I consider my self lucky to not have any issues so far....I hate to see anyone having issues like that on such a wonderful driving machine. Good luck on that and I'm interested to see the outcome.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
I floated that idea, but got a very cool response to it. May have to push the issue a little. Not having a car I want doesn't help either.
Do push! You might want to consider hiring an attorney to help with that tactic if you choose to go the route of convincing them to take back the car. They will take you seriously with a lawyer at hand. I'm curious how they were able to CPO the car with so many problems. As for them not having the car you want, it occurs to me that you don't really have that now with the car in-service so much.

-Morpheus