Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: dodge truck
electric cooling fan not running? help

well i did cooling system overhaul and replaced lot of parts but some how electric cooling fan dont come on when engine is normal or high temp? how can i tell its not burned up or how can i test this problem? i reall dont want to spend over 300 bucks for new fan.
Ads by Google
Old 03-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Your thermoswitch is either bad or not functioning....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: .
Unplug it and give it direct 12 volts. The fan should run. This will tell you if the motor works.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 PM

ok what color wires do i hook up where to test this? and i checked 50amp fues looked alright but had brown tint on both teeth.? and some one told me When AC is on electric cooling fan should always come on is this true???
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
No, only comes on when the coolant is too hot. If the belt/viscous clutch fan is moving enough air (assuming your car has auto transmission), electric fan won't run. See your "what's this wire for" thread for an explanation of the coolant temp sensor found in the radiator.

2006 325Ci
Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post
No, only comes on when the coolant is too hot. If the belt/viscous clutch fan is moving enough air (assuming your car has auto transmission), electric fan won't run. See your "what's this wire for" thread for an explanation of the coolant temp sensor found in the radiator.
well i did check coolant temp sensor it is pluged in (lower radiator hose) this little wire is on driver side by head light and dumper. and i do know electric cooling fan comes on when it gets hot. i did run the car almost to the red line on engine temp never came on. so i shut the car down to cool the engine because i didnt want to blow head gasket.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:11 PM

got it fixed thanks guys
Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyungminmin View Post
got it fixed thanks guys
Responsible 'Festers report how it got fixed, so the next guy from Wyoming has less suffering...

2006 325Ci
Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 PM

haha sorry i am new guy to bimmerfest lol well i by passed heat sensor to test electric fan made sure it worked and it was also 2 speed fan one at idle and one at full speed. than i check the lower radiator temp sensor like u told me to after engine was at 200f it was cold Thermostat did not work so the heat sensor was reading cold because Thermostat never opened up so i have to order new Thermostat. so that was why fan never came on and didnt have good flow to radiator to get cooled and that is why i had heat problems. but i did learn lot from u all. thanks again
Old 03-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Hey, didn't you say in your other thread that you had gotten this car on the cheap cause of a blown head gasket and that a cooling system overhaul had been performed as part of getting it back to usable condition?

IIRC, the thermostat is one of the basic items to be changed in such an overhaul, so aren't you paying twice for the part?

2006 325Ci
Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 AM

Well this car was great deal because of the price and it came with tools and most of new cooling system parts still in boxes but it came with 2 thermostat open box so i just put one on when i was putting it back together. was not sure witch one was the new one. so ya lot a cooling system part was replace just Thermostat was open box and when i bought the car lot of the parts were just sitting in the trunk and found 2 Thermostat so got a try both before i buy another one and seller move out of state so i cant even return the new Thermostat for new one.