Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Talking Making progress on ED planning

A few months ago I started a thread with the title "Help--what to get next? (where to go solved)". Today, we made a few decisions on the vehicle and pick-up aspects of the problem. We put in a tentative order for what I refer to as as a 2011 328xiT for a likely pick-up date for 25 June. (I need to be in Munich on the 24th, so why waste a trip? I think BMW marketing calls the thing a "328i xDrive Sport Wagon".)

Now to work on the itinerary. After focusing on Northern Italy for the last two trips, adding Switzerland in '06 and Austria and Slovenia in '08, southern and SE France are still the current leading candidates. (Betsy has never been to Lyon or the Rhone.) But this is still uncertain for a few reasons:
  • We have been invited to Rome and part of that would be for (light) business. Possibly someone would pick up some of those costs.
  • After the ambiance and hospitality in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and even northern Italy, France may be a let down.
  • We have not yet given any thought to total duration.
As I come up with likely itineraries, I'll post them for comments.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Ads by Google
Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Excellent choice of vehicle.

What color is your Touring?

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Rome is great because of the layers of civilization. Romans period, Renaissance, and everything in between. If you go to Rome you will have a better experience if you stay in the historic center, near the Pantheon is ideal. Then you can walk everywhere and take a few cab rides to see the other stuff. I would not take the car there however. Ideally you end your trip in Rome and drop off your car when you arrive because you won't need. The Green Michelin Guide for Rome is awesome. A week in Rome is ideal.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Rome is great because of the layers of civilization. Romans period, Renaissance, and everything in between. If you go to Rome you will have a better experience if you stay in the historic center, near the Pantheon is ideal. Then you can walk everywhere and take a few cab rides to see the other stuff. I would not take the car there however. Ideally you end your trip in Rome and drop off your car when you arrive because you won't need. The Green Michelin Guide for Rome is awesome. A week in Rome is ideal.
We are seriously considering it as I have been invited by a professor at one of the universities. I think the previous trip was about 35 or 40 years ago. We were students with almost no income and stayed in a converted convent in or near Trestevere. My strongest memories were (a) buying a complete exhaust system for my Lancia Aurelia at an auto flea market and carrying it home on the airplane, and (b) seeing Aida at the Baths of Caracalla with a cast of 3000 and live elephants on stage. (Now, that is great opera. )
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.

Last edited by b-y; 03-22-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling, again
Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post

What color is your Touring?
Great joke--very funny! They are seeing if we can special order one of the darker (saddle or chesnut) interiors or if we have to "settle" for beige. But you know me: how can we pass up the option of a non-metallic red while at the same time saving approx. $500? It was too good of a deal.

Last edited by b-y; 03-21-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:15 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
If you go to Rome, you must see http://www.sacred-destinations.com/i...tro-in-vincoli. It is within easy walking distance of the Coliseum.

Michelangelo's Moses is magnificent in person, here is a man who looks like he really could argue with God.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
Great joke--very funny! They are seeing if we can special order one of the darker (saddle or chesnut) interiors or if we have to "settle" for beige. But you know me: how can we pass up the option of a non-metallic red while at the same time saving approx. $500? It was too good of a deal.
Couldn´t resist.

More importantly, Chestnut and Saddle are both available for your car. So is Oyster, which would be quite striking with red. No need to special order beyond your standard order.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Couldn´t resist.

More importantly, Chestnut and Saddle are both available for your car. So is Oyster, which would be quite striking with red. No need to special order beyond your standard order.
The CA agrees with you, so you are probably correct. I have a printed brochure that shows those combos not available. Similarly, the ordering guide has at least one minor inconsistency in the options and packages description. The result is that I put together a wish list for the CA. We'll see what he can do.

I used my "standard" approach...it took a while but I essentially sold myself. He gave Betsy and me the keys to a few cars that came to close to what we thought we wanted--both yesterday and the prior weekend, and we drove them around playing with the options, checking the ride and handling, and--most important for us--getting use to the ingress and the visibility. He also worked out good terms to buy the X3 as it comes off the lease. (I had phoned in the current lease details about two weeks ago.) After the last test drive, we decided to go with the new 328xiT and I handed him my spec sheet, with the "unknowns" indicated. We should hear back soon with the specifics.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328i, '10 Audi A4
I've always had a "thing" for 3er wagon... Good luck with planning, etc.!
ED2007 - MY07 328i SparklingGraphite/Blk, ZSP, 6MT, 6FL 06/01/07, re-delivered 07/23/07
2007 X3si
2004 325i
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_fam View Post
I've always had a "thing" for 3er wagon... Good luck with planning, etc.!
If you are tempted (and we almost were), Weatherford has just obtained three "factory demo" 328iT's, one with iDrive, two without. All three had black interiors; the exteriors were black, white, and one of the greys. Each had about 5K miles on the clock. Driving one of those yesterday convinced us to order a new one.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328i, '10 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
If you are tempted (and we almost were), Weatherford has just obtained three "factory demo" 328iT's, one with iDrive, two without. All three had black interiors; the exteriors were black, white, and one of the greys. Each had about 5K miles on the clock. Driving one of those yesterday convinced us to order a new one.
I'm only tempted...but not enough to buy one for myself Not in the market for a wagon at this point. Wife got an Audi A4 after driving '07 X3 for 3 years with somewhat "questionable" GM-6 tranny. I'm getting another 328 sedan in May, although was seriously considering 335d. Absence of the MT option in the diesel config was the main obstacle for me. Not ready to give up 3 pedals quite yet Patiently awaiting when BMW will bring 4 cylinder diesels. 123d wagon is something I would be very happy with...
ED2007 - MY07 328i SparklingGraphite/Blk, ZSP, 6MT, 6FL 06/01/07, re-delivered 07/23/07
2007 X3si
2004 325i
Old 03-22-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
If you go to Rome, you must see http://www.sacred-destinations.com/i...tro-in-vincoli. It is within easy walking distance of the Coliseum.
Michelangelo's Moses is magnificent in person, here is a man who looks like he really could argue with God.
Thanks. I'm adding this to the "must see" list.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: E93 - ED'ed 5-08
b-y:

I can't really think of a scenario where you'd need the car in Roma, but must say that driving the car in the city at least once should be on your bucket list, and for everyone here who visits The Eternal City. Best of course with NAV and a cool passenger to monitor it, since you really shouldn't suffer the distraction. Perhaps the most walkable of any major city in the world, I agree completely with the sentiment for staying near the historic center. Comfortable, reasonably-priced hotels can be found with parking, so there's really no need to stay outside the city.

Can't say I specifically recall your previous experience with France, but feel compelled to point out that Paris which of course most people experience, is not the same as the rest of France - and vice-versa.

The problem with Parisians in general is that they've have sort of had it with tourists. Understandable since they've been getting them since the place was a muddy island in the middle of the Seine two thousand years ago. So in order to have a really nice time, you've got to either pony up for the 5-star hotel experience where your every whim is seen to; or else speak the language fairly well if you're going to venture out and rub elbows with the locals.

Outside the city, the whole thing changes significantly. Provence is one of the truly great vacation spots in Wetern Europe, and you won't regret a visit.

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271

Last edited by boothguy; 03-24-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothguy View Post
b-y:

Can't say I specifically recall your previous experience with France, but feel compelled to point out that Paris which of course most people experience, is not the same as the rest of France - and vice-versa.

The problem with Parisians in general is that they've have sort of had it with tourists. Understandable since they've been getting them since the place was a muddy island in the middle of the Seine two thousand years ago. So in order to have a really nice time, you've got to either pony up for the 5-star hotel experience where your every whim is seen to; or else speak the language fairly well if you're going to venture out and rub elbows with the locals.

Provence is one of the truly great vacation spots in Wetern Europe, and you won't regret a visit.
We have been to Paris several times. My college roommate for 2 of the 4 years was French (and son of a chef!), so I visited as a student. Betsy and I went a couple of times, and I visited on business or for connections. The best time was about 15+ years ago with our son and Betsy's mother. The French seem to like families, and the changes were obvious. At no time did we have a car in Paris.

Betsy and I have also been to the Riviera, again with the family. We had a car rented out of Nice and traveled around a bit. We have also been to Riems, and I have been to Normandy, Calvados, Digne, Gap, Chamonix, and the Col du Tende.

I have spoken in Lyon (twice, I think). On the last trip I rented a car and spent a few days on my own in the southern Rhone in the Spring. It would have been very pleasant except that I was getting sick (CHF) and didn't know why I couldn't sleep. I took the TGF back to Paris and was treated VERY well. A train porter at the Gare du Lyon spotted me having problems with my luggage (a roll-on and some bottles of wine) and put me on his cart and wheeled me to the cab stand.

So, we like France, especially the South. But, as we have gotten older we particularly like the efficiency, nice people, and clean public facilities in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland! I have even gotten to accept German cooking on some level. With close to a dozen trips to or through Munich in the past decade or so, it seems quite familiar. For this coming trip I'm working on an itinerary from Munich to pleasant food and wine locations, plus a few museums to keep Betsy happy. Viva la southern France, I guess.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Another "must see" in Rome... Tivoli Villa d'Este
Old 03-23-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZTR View Post
Another "must see" in Rome... Tivoli Villa d'Este
That's one we have seen. Has it changed in 30 years?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: '09 135i & '11 328xi SWgn
b-y,
My wife and I are picking up a Crimson Red 328xi Sports Wagon with Oyster interior the first week of May at the Welt... I'm happy to send you a bunch of pictures if you're still on the fence at that time re: interior colors...
Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Go with the Oyster.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerbitini View Post
b-y,
My wife and I are picking up a Crimson Red 328xi Sports Wagon with Oyster interior the first week of May at the Welt... I'm happy to send you a bunch of pictures if you're still on the fence at that time re: interior colors...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone
Go with the Oyster.
Thanks for the offer. I do want to see pix, but we have tentatively ordered Saddle Brown. I saw a nice sedan at the dealer in Crimson over Beige, and I'll bet the Oyster would look even better. But we wanted something a bit darker.