Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-22-2010, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: e46 320d
Sync/Programme Remote Locking function on keys

Ok, so after reading through a thread on which brand of oil to use for my 320d somebody mentioned that after taking they're car to a dealer for an oil change one of the workman also managed to reprogramme his key so that when they drive the car the doors automatically lock. Since mine doesn't do that I thought that by following what the BMW guy did to the remote I could get that feature, well that wasn't the case. Somehow by doing that I managed to knock the remote locking function out of sync, the keys would still lock/unlock and start the car by the buttons did nothing. By the way the remote on both my sets of keys worked perfectly beforehand I just wanted to add that auto lock feature because I thought it was pretty kool. This all happened on the morning of Sunday 21st March. Needless to say after my remotes both stopped working I was devastated, it's just doesn't feel right locking/unlocking your e46 by key trust me. So I frantically searched Google for fixes which lead me to another thread on this site. However I spent all afternoon trying to get it to work but with no luck. I started to get a bit worried that I would have to send it in to a dealer to fix my silly mistake of trying to tamper with it for an extra feature. So anyway I tried the fix again this morning but slightly differently and it worked!!!!! This is what I did, I take no credit for it since something similar has already been posted but the steps are a bit off, well they didn't work for me or anyone else who replied back to it. Its step 3 that's really important and the other write ups say to turn it to position 2 and back off again 5 times consecutively which didn't work for me at all.

1. Unlock your car and sit in the drivers seat then lock the doors (locking the doors isn't important it also works if they're unlocked but its easier to watch the doors pins later)

2. Put your key in the ignition

3. Turn your key to the 1st position briefly just so you see the mileage until service light come up (or whatever it is that your bottom middle box on the dashboard displays) then turn off and remove key. You need only do this once, you can do it more than once for your own preference but it doesn't matter once is enough. Also it doesn't matter if you leave it on in the 1st position for 1second or 10seconds as long as the process of turning it to 1st postion and off again removing the key has been completed.

4. Press and hold the door unlock button and whilst doing that press the door lock button 3 times then release the unlock button, as soon as you release that unlock button the door pins will shoot up and back down again or if it was unlocked then they go down then back up again it doesn't really matter it's just a sign to tell you that the programming was successful. If you have a second key then don't repeat step 3 just pick up the other key as soon as those door pins have shot up and down and do the same as you did with the first key. Hold the door unlock button and press the lock button 3 times then let go of the door unlock button and the door pins will shoot up and down again.

I have tried this routine/fix 3 times now today on separate occasions and it has worked each time. Apologies for making this post quite long I just wanted to put in as much detail as possible to help anyone that was in a similar situation as myself.
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: m3
Works on my x5. Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 545i
I know this is an old thread, but can someone verify which lock and unlock button to press. The first time I did this I lost all locking fuctions with the key and the lock/unlock button on the center console.

I got my key to work again, I think holding the center console button and pressing unlock on the key, but I just want to verify.

Thanks, jjp
Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D
Hi guys, I try all of this and yesterday worked but today problem again. Sometimes it works but just to lock it not unlock. Any help would be great?
Thank you..
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
Sync/Programme Remote Locking function on keys

Intermittent unlocking problem is usually caused by a bad general module. Do the interior lights turn on when you press unlock, but, the doors stay locked? If yes then it's definitely a general module problem.

Getting the remote keys synced to the car is not a secret procedures that the dealers are keeping to themselves. It's in the cars owners manual. Certain parts of the OP's steps are wrong and will not work. For the official BMW key sync procedure check the cars owners manual or you can look here where I have scanned my manual www.bmwgm5.com/key_recode.htm

Making the car auto lock when you put the car in gear or reach a certain speed can not be turned On/Off with the key sync procedure. It must be done with a computer and software connected to car which can change the CKM setting (CKM stands for Car Key Memory) For example BMWs GT1/DIS or ISIS/ISTA. INPA doesn't do it nor will Carsoft unless they added it recently.

Last edited by scottjoh; 09-02-2013 at 03:59 PM.