Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-24-2010, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Angry 2007 530i w/sqealing Brakes

I've got a 2007 530i with 43,000 miles on it. All in all a great car and I really love driving it. The one thing, and I do mean the one thing, that is driving me crazy is a right rear brake squeal I've had to deal with since it had about 20,000 miles on it. The first time the dealer had to actually replace the brakes on the rear as the pads were glazed and there was another issue with a rotor. Since then I've been in about 4 times to have the same thing addressed, usually as part of a normal oil change or schedule maintenance as I want to be a pretty easy guy to live with and it's a hassle taking time out to drop the car for service, so on, though the dealer does a good job providing loaners and wireless acess for work. Here's the deal - I just took it in to do the oil and work on the right rear brake again to fix the noise. They gave it back to me yesterday and the squeal is still there. They say they chaffed edges and lubed with anti-squeal. Then they note that some brake squeak is normal because of the performance nature of this vehicle. If that's the case shouldn't all 4 wheels make a bunch of noise when stopping? Plus - isn't that a bunch of crap for a car that costs $50,000? This isn't some Yugo from the 80's! Anyone else have this problem? What did you have the dealer specifically do to fix it?

Thanks for any feedback. This noise is driving me crazy.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2010, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i and Porsche 964
Just started having the problem on our 2007 530i. Will be taking it in soon and see what our dealer says.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Black on Black 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptonsam View Post
Just started having the problem on our 2007 530i. Will be taking it in soon and see what our dealer says.
Us too... We are over 50K miles though...

Can we still take it to the dealer to look at or are they are going to try to charge us $1000 to fix the problem?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:57 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Not normal

I had the same issue a month ago. I have a 2007 550i w/ 58,000 miles. I took it into the dealer and they said this was normal. I insisted that this was not normal and requested a shop foreman to test drive while I sit in the car with them. The shop foreman noticed the squeal and authorized them to be replaced, but it needed to be authorized by him. For some reason, my warranty expired the next day too. So I got lucky. Basically, he said that the sensors were hitting the rotors and that was causing the noise. Don't let them convince you it is normal!

So here is the language of the work done.

1 34-21-6-768-471 Repair Kit, Brake Pads
1 34-35-6-789-493 Brake Pad Wear Sensor
1 81-22-9-407-103 Brake Pad Paste

58335 Front Brake pads at 5mm, rotors at 28.3mm rear pads at 5mm, rotors at performed replacement of front and rear brake pads due to sensor hitting rotors causing noise as per bulletin 34 03 09

58335 Front Rotors at 28.3mm/28.33mm min is 28.4mm performed replacement of front brake rotors.
ED: 2007 550i Monaco/Black Nasca, steptronic, zsp, zps, active steering, comfort access, power shades, fold down rear, nav, sirius, ventilated seats, anthracite headliner, hud, aero M-kit. June 19th pickup. July 3rd dropoff Zurich. On the "Green Point" vessel. Sailing 7/23. Port Hueneme 8/16. Redelivery 9/02. Huper Optic 40 All. HO 60 Windshield. V1. Gunmetal 172M wheels.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Aw man, i remember getting this complaint on a daily basis. Noting that you mention the squeak is coming from the right rear, that's where the brake sensor is located to monitor the rear brakes. The front is on the front left (driver side). BMW uses a dual stage brake sensor system meaning the sensor has 2 trigger points. On the sensor, the wear indicator is longer than most sensors. As the outer casing of the wear indicator is being worn down, it can cause a squeal when you tap on the brakes. What we did at the dealership when this complaint came in was we would pull out both brake sensor from the pad, shave them down with a file and the corners just about before the next indicator. The last indicator is to informed you that your pads are at 3mm anyways, so you would need a brake service. Sometimes we would round off the corners of the pads and put anti-seize on ears and behind the pads that helped a little too. Then test drive.

The material use on the sensor and why they have a dual stage system is a BMW scientist question. For the dual stage sensor it's probably to inform the customer that the brake service is coming just in case your planning that long drive to vegas, weekend trip, etc.. than get that brake indicator warning in the middle nowhere land with 3mm left on your pads. It still paid, so I didn't have a complaint about doing it. I remember BMW's are notorious for having brake squeal and dust. The reason is, when I was studying all this, is that they use "softer brake materials" than other manufacturers. The result is better stopping capabilities and more control versus brake squeal and dust. Weighing out what's more important to BMW, braking on a dime or a little noisier brakes and dust? That's why we don't turn rotors (put the rotors on a lathe to shave down to remove any warp, etc..) we just replace them. They also have traction control, so the brakes have to be in tip top to help with handling. Whenever you have two dissimilar metals constantly grinding on each other your eventually gonna get a squeak on some sort. A squeak from a $16,000 Honda is always more manageable than from a $60,000 BMW.

I have to agree with you the noise is pretty annoying and embarrassing. Some other factors that make brake squeal is rotors being below spec, pads at minimum or caught some something that's not suppose to be there ( this is rare, but that's another story), but the functionality of the brakes is working at spec if the brakes sensor is just squealing. But stating that the squeal was coming from the right rear that tells me first its the sensor and I would inspect everything else on the brake system.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-tech View Post
Aw man, i remember getting this complaint on a daily basis. Noting that you mention the squeak is coming from the right rear, that's where the brake sensor is located to monitor the rear brakes. The front is on the front left (driver side). BMW uses a dual stage brake sensor system meaning the sensor has 2 trigger points. On the sensor, the wear indicator is longer than most sensors. As the outer casing of the wear indicator is being worn down, it can cause a squeal when you tap on the brakes. What we did at the dealership when this complaint came in was we would pull out both brake sensor from the pad, shave them down with a file and the corners just about before the next indicator. The last indicator is to informed you that your pads are at 3mm anyways, so you would need a brake service. Sometimes we would round off the corners of the pads and put anti-seize on ears and behind the pads that helped a little too. Then test drive.

The material use on the sensor and why they have a dual stage system is a BMW scientist question. For the dual stage sensor it's probably to inform the customer that the brake service is coming just in case your planning that long drive to vegas, weekend trip, etc.. than get that brake indicator warning in the middle nowhere land with 3mm left on your pads. It still paid, so I didn't have a complaint about doing it. I remember BMW's are notorious for having brake squeal and dust. The reason is, when I was studying all this, is that they use "softer brake materials" than other manufacturers. The result is better stopping capabilities and more control versus brake squeal and dust. Weighing out what's more important to BMW, braking on a dime or a little noisier brakes and dust? That's why we don't turn rotors (put the rotors on a lathe to shave down to remove any warp, etc..) we just replace them. They also have traction control, so the brakes have to be in tip top to help with handling. Whenever you have two dissimilar metals constantly grinding on each other your eventually gonna get a squeak on some sort. A squeak from a $16,000 Honda is always more manageable than from a $60,000 BMW.

I have to agree with you the noise is pretty annoying and embarrassing. Some other factors that make brake squeal is rotors being below spec, pads at minimum or caught some something that's not suppose to be there ( this is rare, but that's another story), but the functionality of the brakes is working at spec if the brakes sensor is just squealing. But stating that the squeal was coming from the right rear that tells me first its the sensor and I would inspect everything else on the brake system.
Good show of knowledge on the subject, I had 2 trips to the dealership to get half this info, and piece the rest on my own. My noise comes from the front left. And I've been resolved to let it ride itself out since the brakes are still very responsive and i've been driving in the cold for the last couple of months not needing to roll my window down to tolerate that noise. And as the summer approaches, the noise has reduced to a shrill whisper.
2004 530i, silver gray, Gray Dakota leather with poplar grain wood, PDC, premium sound, CD changer, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, manual rear sides sunshades, Adaptive Xenon
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
I have the exact same squeal when using the brakes through -say a drive-thru. The left-front squeals just enough when applying the brakes.

It is annoying and embarrassing to see/hear a $60k BMW squeal like a 40yr-old Buick!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 AM
On the GATE!!!

Mein Auto: 530i
Wow, this is great information. I have a 2004 530i w/ 72,000 (approximately) and yes my brakes are begining to squeal. On a 60k car its not a good look! I will follow this posting for more information.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 528I
I had the same problem at 15k. Dealer replaced front rotors, pads and sensor. Also replaced rear pads and sensor. Rear rotor was within spec. The noise was embarrising.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:25 PM

Thanks!

As the original poster on this I'm thankful for everyone's replies. My warranty is up in May and I was getting worried I was the only one with this problem. I'm going to take this info forward when I schedule my appointment. If they can't get this resolved I suppose it's time to bark up the chain to BMW NA. Especially tough as I really like this car and BMW. Heck I just got back into motorcycling and bought a 2007 BMW F800S with 6000 miles on it - tons of fun for getting back in the saddle again...
Old 04-20-2010, 06:19 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
As the original poster on this I'm thankful for everyone's replies. My warranty is up in May and I was getting worried I was the only one with this problem. I'm going to take this info forward when I schedule my appointment. If they can't get this resolved I suppose it's time to bark up the chain to BMW NA. Especially tough as I really like this car and BMW. Heck I just got back into motorcycling and bought a 2007 BMW F800S with 6000 miles on it - tons of fun for getting back in the saddle again...
Take the attachment with you. Good luck with the Northup Way folks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SI B 34 03 09.pdf (20.4 KB, 2910 views)

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 04-30-2010, 01:19 PM

2007 530i brakes squealing

Thank you all of you for posting such informative stuff. My 2007 530i only has 33,000 miles on it and the brakes are squealing away. I have not determined where the squeal comes from but I have printed out the attachment and plan to take it to my next dealer appt! thank you very much.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Thank you all of you for posting such informative stuff. My 2007 530i only has 33,000 miles on it and the brakes are squealing away. I have not determined where the squeal comes from but I have printed out the attachment and plan to take it to my next dealer appt! thank you very much.
- Hey, any word on if the problem went away ?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:57 PM

What did they say ?