Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by docpaulo View Post
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_E60_Spare_Tire.htm

found this kit that seems to have a nice molded tray for the equipment and there's the option for a tire tote as well...
Thanks for the heads up, got one on the way!

08 M6: Cabrio, Sapphire Black, H&R Lowering Springs, InCurve 20" Wheels, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Calipers Painted Red with M-Logo

02 Ford Focus SVT: Run around car
04 Ford F-150: For pulling sea doos and quads

04 645i Cabrio, Titanium Silver ( SOLD )
00 Mercedes CLK Conv (SOLD)
94 Mustang GT (SOLD)
88 Mustang GT (SOLD)
87 Honda CRX (SOLD)
77 BMW 320i (SOLD)
74 Mecury Capri V6 (SOLD)
Old 04-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 07 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution Six View Post
Yep the kit it comes with (BMW part 71.10-6 773 536) comes with the scissor jack, torque wrench, socket, tire chock, a set of gloves, a wax pencil and the carrying case for it all. .
wow... they really thought of everything... dunno why they have to reinvent the car jack though... the scissors design has worked forever, they just had to make it different...

wonder what the wax pencil is for...
HUD, Cold Weather and Sports Package
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Rays Master Piece REM 20" Forged wheels w/ Conti Extreme DWS
Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Quote:
I think just to mark the tire in the location of the puncture for the tire shop. Thats the only thing I could think of... other than maybe for entertainment purposes? Drawing pictures on the shoulder of the road while you wait for the tow truck in the event that you could not figure out how to change your tire due to the instructions being in German.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 AM

i started a new thread for those who purchased

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_E60_Spare_Tire.htm

they will credit the discount for those who already ordered if we get at least 5 orders = 15$ and if 10 or more 25$

add in the comment that you're from bimmerfest when you order or email their customer service vincent...

they also indicate that the tray fits inside the wheel well, so I suspect solution six is right that the jack likely is different than what he got... since I hope to never use it, shouldn't be a problem for me...
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Quote:
wow... they really thought of everything... dunno why they have to reinvent the car jack though... the scissors design has worked forever, they just had to make it different...

I do like the kit with the scissor jack design better. I personally think that this is the way to go. The jack shown in the bimmerzone link can damage your car body (door panel) if not placed correctly and the car slips. I've had this happended to me before on my 540 while trying to change a flat on the side of the road and you are trying to get things done quickly. The jack if not placed at a proper angle will get closer to the car body as you jack it up.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM

solution six:

can you take close up pics of your kit and confirm which kit you bought...

I went on bavauto and the kit they have shows a pic of wheel, lug wrench/bar and the traditional bmw jack, but your kit seems to have a torque wrench and a scissors jack... so not sure if the kit has changed and the pic is old...

I do agree a normal scissors jack is better... then again, I also like that the jack fits under the wheel and looks clean with a tote

I'm now undecided which way to go... I do already have a torque wrench and a breaker bar... so not a big issue, but the scissors jack looks nice...

anybody use the bmw jack have problems with it?
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Old 04-27-2010, 04:13 PM

As printed on my invoice:

E60 SPARE KIT EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE KIT (Expected to ship in 1 to 2 weeks) $339.95

So it's definitely that part number, but yes, the picture is different from what I received. If you were going that route and wanted to verify that you were going to get the same kit, I'd call and ask if it for sure comes with the BMW tire kit with part number: 71.10-6 773 536.

The handle that comes with the jack is a ratcheting handle so that is also a nice improvement over the usual crank handle handle / iron that most come with.

I took a few pictures and attached them here. I also tested out the wax pencil, which appears to work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223 (Medium).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	227859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0224 (Medium).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	227860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0225 (Medium).JPG
Views:	96
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	227861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227 (Medium).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	227862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0226 (Medium).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	227863  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231 (Medium).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	227864  
Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535X M Sport
yup got the same thing. the pics above are identical with what i got as well.

also i already ordered and received about 2 weeks ago. you think they will refund credit?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknj23 View Post
yup got the same thing. the pics above are identical with what i got as well.

also i already ordered and received about 2 weeks ago. you think they will refund credit?
Did you order from bavauto.com or the link above to bimmerzone?

I got mine from bavauto.com which -- I don't know that there's been a discussion with yet on a bulk discount... however, it doesn't hurt to check if somebody is thinking of going that route.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Ci
Quote:
did the kit from bavauto come with a torque wrench? the pic on their site only shows the tire iron, so I assumed you bought the breaker bar separately... although that's not a big deal as you mentioned... you can buy the bar with socket from most stores for 15 dollars or so...

also I wonder if that tray lays on top or below the wheel.. that may add more thickness to the rim than I'd like...

i tried to contact the bimmerzone customer service and they're looking at figures but think if 10 people were interested they could give us a special price...

how many are interested in getting one?

and wild geese they said they'll credit you the difference if things push through...

Thank You DocPaulo, but I wanted my spare tire kit ASAP, and they were back ordered at Bavarian where I did have one on back order, then I called BimmerZone and they had one in stock with free shipping. So I cancelled my back order and ordered one from BimmerZone along with the tray, BMW Tire tote. The gentleman I talked to was very nice to deal with and mine was shipped today.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 PM

at this point I think there are some subtle differences from both vendors... I looked at the V vs the scissors jack and the principle is the same... meaning both can slip on uneven surface as basically the direction of force is the same... the problem with the V jack is you're more likely to use it without being in the correct location while the scissors jack visually aids that because it is symmetrical.

the main thing is bavauto has torque bar with the kit and the one from bimmerzone is a regular tire iron.

Both of these kits are OEM BMW other than the brand of tire rubber

personally I have a torque wrench and on looking further, the V jack is actually the same principle but requires proper alignment before jacking up... so I'm going for the bimmerzone product mainly because I like the tote wrap and tray... but if you don't, it may be worth paying a bit more for the bavauto product (bimmerzone has free shipping)...

I don't have any connection to either and I've purchased from bavauto and they're great people...

I don't know if bimmerzone will refund/credit anybody who purchased a few weeks ago but I know that anybody that bought this week, bimmerzone will likely honor if we meet the numbers...

then again, it's not a huge discount so I wouldn't wait until we get enough interest before buying if you were going to buy anyway.

but if you do end up with bimmerzone product, pm or reply to the other post so we can get credit (it may pay for the tote)
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters

Last edited by docpaulo; 04-28-2010 at 07:15 AM.