Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:53 AM
TIRE EATER

Mein Auto: 760Li
parking break question

When I put my car in park and set the break I hear it engage but as soon as I turn the car off
and open the door the car goes back about 2 inches. the break is working because if i put it in neutral and set the brake it works and on a hill. Its annoying opening your door then the car slouches back. its like its releasing the break so the car will rest on the parking lever. any ideas ?
760Li - HP fuel lines / rear sway bar / mechatronics solinoids / diff fluid change / rear window regulator / logic 7 repair / tuner mod / TPM module / vacuum pump gaskets / headlight module x2 / hood release cable / front and rear brakes /new passenger HPFP diaphram replacement with 1400 mls on replacement from magna fuel !!!
ALL IN ONE YEAR 2 MONTHS
CODED
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2014, 12:02 PM
S9XAA

Mein Auto: 2008 E65
I dont notice any movement but I normally take my foot off the brake as soon as I press the "park" button so it might move abit before I open the door.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:08 PM
TIRE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4NK View Post
I dont notice any movement but I normally take my foot off the brake as soon as I press the "park" button so it might move abit before I open the door.
that puts all the pressure on the parking pin. i want my PARKING BRAKE engaged so all the cars weight isn't resting on the parking pin. I'm thinking it might have something to do with adjustments in the parking module
760Li - HP fuel lines / rear sway bar / mechatronics solinoids / diff fluid change / rear window regulator / logic 7 repair / tuner mod / TPM module / vacuum pump gaskets / headlight module x2 / hood release cable / front and rear brakes /new passenger HPFP diaphram replacement with 1400 mls on replacement from magna fuel !!!
ALL IN ONE YEAR 2 MONTHS
CODED
Old 11-23-2014, 03:34 PM
S9XAA

Mein Auto: 2008 E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdrake1fallen View Post
that puts all the pressure on the parking pin.
Have you ever heard of a "parking pin" failure on these cars? I havent. Whereas there are plenty of posts regarding the parking brake failing.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Quote:
Have you ever heard of a "parking pin" failure on these cars? I havent. Whereas there are plenty of posts regarding the parking brake failing.
Actually about 2 months ago my pin went out and the car would not stay in parked but instead would stay as if put into neutral. My parking break has been gone since march so had to get it fixed or else I couldn't take the car anywere. Got it fixed. It was the parking pin.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745i
Quote:
When I put my car in park and set the break I hear it engage but as soon as I turn the car off
and open the door the car goes back about 2 inches. the break is working because if i put it in neutral and set the brake it works and on a hill.
The parking brake system applies the service brakes when the car is running, so that doesn't mean the parking brake is working.

Apply the parking brake after the car is off. Does it engage? There's a plastic gear in the parking brake system which is known to break, so the parking brake motor doesn't actually engage anything.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM
TIRE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin24k View Post
The parking brake system applies the service brakes when the car is running, so that doesn't mean the parking brake is working.

Apply the parking brake after the car is off. Does it engage? There's a plastic gear in the parking brake system which is known to break, so the parking brake motor doesn't actually engage anything.
IF I have the car off and no key in the ignition the parking break makes its groaning noise and the dash shows the parking break is applied. I also have done a scan of the car using inpa and the parking break module is throwing no errors. should I open her up and see if anything is broken. after i turn the car off and open the door the car lurches backward and its very annoying.
ALL IN ONE YEAR 2 MONTHS
CODED
Old 11-24-2014, 10:51 AM
TIRE EATER

Quote:
Well if the car is lurching backwards I certainly could be one of the first with a broken parking pin. just because its not a common issue on these cars doesn't mean it cant happen.
ALL IN ONE YEAR 2 MONTHS
CODED
Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745i
Quote:
IF I have the car off and no key in the ignition the parking break makes its groaning noise and the dash shows the parking break is applied. I also have done a scan of the car using inpa and the parking break module is throwing no errors. should I open her up and see if anything is broken. after i turn the car off and open the door the car lurches backward and its very annoying.
How much does the car move backward, and did this not happen before? An inch or two is normal for the parking brake to fully engage.

After you press the button, go to the rear wheel and check if you can hear the parking brake drum. The system will only throw an error if the gear is stuck (like in the example here).

Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 PM
TIRE EATER

I would say it moves 3-4 inches back. If I'm on a hill and apply the brake then put it in park open the door it goes back the 3-4 inches then if I get in the car turn it on put it in drive it makes that clunk noise as if I just put it in park and there is a lot of weight on the parking pin then after putting it in drive or reverse I disengage the parking brake. I guess the best way to see if its broken will be to open the cover and take a look. I have seen that cover and it mabey takes 30 seconds to get to. I will take a look and report back. Thanks for the support.
ALL IN ONE YEAR 2 MONTHS
CODED