Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-26-2010, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325Ci
Reassemble door lock cylinder

My latest adventure with my E46: the door open on my remote stopped working one day recently (another issue?), so for a few days I used the key to open the driver's door. Then one day, the key turned beyond the normal stop and then the entire cylinder extracted from the door with the key. When this occurred, some of the tumblers, being spring-loaded, also ejected on to the ground. I retrieved the parts and after hours of experimentation, reassembled the tumblers in the correct order and could turn the key in the extracted cylinder. Next, I determined that the base of the rod that connects the lock cylinder to the actuator was broken and the C-shaped lock ring was missing (probably smiling at me from inside the door).

The options at this point were to replace the entire lock assembly or try to locate the missing and broken parts. After a lot of searching, I found a repair kit on eBay UK from a seller in Germany for about US$33. Now I have those parts and trying to reassemble.

Finally, my question: does anyone have experience in reassembling the lock cylinder from a pile of parts, especially inserting the spring?
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by gepeta01 View Post
My latest adventure with my E46: the door open on my remote stopped working one day recently (another issue?), so for a few days I used the key to open the driver's door. Then one day, the key turned beyond the normal stop and then the entire cylinder extracted from the door with the key. When this occurred, some of the tumblers, being spring-loaded, also ejected on to the ground. I retrieved the parts and after hours of experimentation, reassembled the tumblers in the correct order and could turn the key in the extracted cylinder. Next, I determined that the base of the rod that connects the lock cylinder to the actuator was broken and the C-shaped lock ring was missing (probably smiling at me from inside the door).

The options at this point were to replace the entire lock assembly or try to locate the missing and broken parts. After a lot of searching, I found a repair kit on eBay UK from a seller in Germany for about US$33. Now I have those parts and trying to reassemble.

Finally, my question: does anyone have experience in reassembling the lock cylinder from a pile of parts, especially inserting the spring?
I'm still waiting for my repair kit from Turkey. If you get yours together correctly, maybe you can post some pics.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 AW/IR M3
who did you guys buy the repair kits from?
I've been looking everywhere for a repair kit or used cylinder and haven't found one yet
Old 04-17-2010, 03:18 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
who did you guys buy the repair kits from?
I've been looking everywhere for a repair kit or used cylinder and haven't found one yet
I got it on Fleabay from seller: idealautoteile. Comes from Turkey, (German car manufacturers outsource alot of stuff to Turkey), takes about 2 1/2 weeks, cost about $21. The only piece I really needed was the part on the lower right side of the pic, but you get all four. Fairly simple to replace, just make sure you reinstall the spring correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46 lock LF door.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	226571  
Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Re: resassemble door lock

Catso, glad you finally received your parts. I've been trying to get mine back together, could you explain the sequence. When I put the parts together, its obvious how the pieces fit together, but it doesn't seem to have the full key rotation (checked on another E46). And of course, as you mentioned, how are the ends of the spring re-inserted under tension. Much appreciated.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:08 AM
catso

I'll try, but I did this a few weeks ago. Start by removing the plastic cover; it clips on, use a small screwdriver. With the key slot facing downward, remove the small round metal retaining pin on the tail end (about 1/16" diam. and 1/4" long) with a needlenose pliers. You should be able to pull it straight out. Don't misplace this, you will have to reuse it. Insert the key into the lock and rotate the lock cylinder until you can slide the retainer (part "B" in the attached picture) out. After removing "B" you will be able to remove part "A" then remove the spring carefully noting its position. Part "D" is next and is what usually breaks, so make sure you extract the little broken pieces so they won't interfere with proper lock operation. Finally remove "C". You may have to rotate the cylinder to get these out. Be careful if you remove the key with the cylinder from the housing so you don't lose any of the little "indent plates". Reassemble "C" first, "D" fitting into "C", the spring, "A" compressing the spring, and finally retainer "B" sliding into the slots on "A" while holding the spring down. After it's into position reinsert the small metal pin that keeps the retainer in position. Tap the pin in, I've read some posts where guys had this come out on them I hope this helps. If I've missed something or you're confused, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E46 lock LF door a.JPG
Views:	706
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	226708  
Old 04-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Reassemble door lock (again)

Thanks for your response. After reading your response, I realize that I must be missing some pieces. When I removed the lock assembly from the door, it was missing the final lock ring (part "B") and now I realize that the small retaining pin is also missing. The other part that I needed to replace was part "A", which was broken at the bottom ring. I've reassembled all of the core parts numerous times, but was stuck at the spring insert (what is the position of the ends of the spring?). But now with the retaining pin also missing, I may not be able to fix with the parts kit. Will continue to investigate...may just be time to buy the entire assembly
Old 04-18-2010, 04:44 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepeta01 View Post
Thanks for your response. After reading your response, I realize that I must be missing some pieces. When I removed the lock assembly from the door, it was missing the final lock ring (part "B") and now I realize that the small retaining pin is also missing. The other part that I needed to replace was part "A", which was broken at the bottom ring. I've reassembled all of the core parts numerous times, but was stuck at the spring insert (what is the position of the ends of the spring?). But now with the retaining pin also missing, I may not be able to fix with the parts kit. Will continue to investigate...may just be time to buy the entire assembly
Look at the bottom of the inside of the door. Maybe you can find that pin there. I think you could fabricate a replacement even if it's slightly bigger in diam. by drilling a bigger hole. Glue it in with JB Weld if you want it to be extra secure. I think the spring ends should be in the "open area" of the assembly, in otherwords where you can see both when it's assembled. If you can get a used one, you can reuse your key cylinder. Otherwise you'll have to buy the assembly from the $tealer.

Last edited by catso; 04-18-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
My lock cylinder was broken in many pieces so I just ordered a new one from the dealer. I took some pictures of it before putting it into the car... send me a PM if you want them.. I might order the repair kit and try to repair my old one just the new one breaks again!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Pics of door lock assembly

robj - I reassembled my lock with the new parts but its still not right, not locking the car lately (fortunately I park in a secure lot). I would appreciate seeing your pics, especially if they show how the spring is inserted and retained. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 PM

PM sent. I do have pics showing one end of the spring... the other end is obviously hidden and can't take a picture of that. But I have pictures showing the orientation of different pieces. I figure that would be important when trying to repair my old one.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 AM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post
PM sent. I do have pics showing one end of the spring... the other end is obviously hidden and can't take a picture of that. But I have pictures showing the orientation of different pieces. I figure that would be important when trying to repair my old one.
Post the pics on the thread if you can. That way others will be able to refer to them in the future.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Let's see if this works.. seems like the pic got shrunk down quite a bit. I do have hi-res versions available if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000108.jpg
Views:	1844
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	232896   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000109.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	232897   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000110.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	232898   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000111.jpg
Views:	1245
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	232899   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000112.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	232900  

Name:	P1000113.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	232901  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM

One more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000114.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	232902  
Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 PM

These are the other end of the spring that you have to turn the key to be able to see. I took these right before installing into my car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000115.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	232967   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000116.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	232968  
Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post
Let's see if this works.. seems like the pic got shrunk down quite a bit. I do have hi-res versions available if needed.
These are the pics of the new lock, right?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
These are the pics of the new lock, right?
Yes. Straight from the dealer..
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 PM

Reassemble door lock cylinder - finally - success!

Thanks to robj and catso for you advice and pics. I finally got the thing together, the holdup was how to locate the ends of the spring since I didn't have an example to work from, despite extensive surfing and research. Being a little cautious with it for now until I open up the door to work on my regulator this summer.
Once again thanks for all of your support
Old 06-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325ci
Does anybody have the BMW part number for that door lock cylinder? Mine also shattered on my 2002 325ci, and I don't think it's repairable. Any info or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:55 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley7 View Post
Does anybody have the BMW part number for that door lock cylinder? Mine also shattered on my 2002 325ci, and I don't think it's repairable. Any info or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
It's best to look up part numbers on www.realOEM.com
Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 330i
Thank you

Thank you robj213 and catso for all the pictures. It was a great help. I found my parts through autoteile-okzam on Ebay.

I would have to say that I had trouble with most of it but some things that I encountered that were not covered here I will try to mention.

First, I received 5 parts in my kit. 2 part D, one for both the right and the left doors. To figure out which one is which you will need to dry fit everything together before you add grease. Part D should line up with Part C as shown in figure 1 when everything lines up and locks together. (**Note my part D shown is for the passenger side door as I already used the driver part D to repair my lock.)

Second, I wasn't immediately sure how to install the spring since my part D was broken initially. Figure 1 shows where the spring ends should go when you have reassembled the locking mechanism. If everything is installed correctly you will not need to turn the key to reassemble the part and slide Part B back into place.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and pictures. I wouldn't have known this was an option before I found the info here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Figure 1.JPG
Views:	878
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	233564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Figure 2.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	233565  
Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 AM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkermo View Post
Thank you robj213 and catso for all the pictures. It was a great help. I found my parts through autoteile-okzam on Ebay.

I would have to say that I had trouble with most of it but some things that I encountered that were not covered here I will try to mention.

First, I received 5 parts in my kit. 2 part D, one for both the right and the left doors. To figure out which one is which you will need to dry fit everything together before you add grease. Part D should line up with Part C as shown in figure 1 when everything lines up and locks together. (**Note my part D shown is for the passenger side door as I already used the driver part D to repair my lock.)

Second, I wasn't immediately sure how to install the spring since my part D was broken initially. Figure 1 shows where the spring ends should go when you have reassembled the locking mechanism. If everything is installed correctly you will not need to turn the key to reassemble the part and slide Part B back into place.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and pictures. I wouldn't have known this was an option before I found the info here.
I think I have my spring in a different position but it seems to work OK. I might take it apart again if I get ambitious.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i & BMW X5
New Key?

Do you have to get a new Key when you get a new cylinder or can you use your existing one? Any programming that needs to be done?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihigloria3 View Post
Do you have to get a new Key when you get a new cylinder or can you use your existing one? Any programming that needs to be done?
If you buy the repair kit, no. If you buy an entire new cylinder, the dealer can make it fit your key. You can also buy a used cylinder, switch the part that the key fits into (that is coded to the specific key) and continue using your key with no change. That requires disassembling the cylinder.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i & BMW X5
Fleabay?

What site did you get your repair kit from?