Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 328cic and Mercedes
iDrive white screen of death - can anyone help?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...53#post5052953

I just don't want the battery to die overnight. I already called roadside assistance, they will only come out to jumpstart or tow.

I'll be bummed if this needs to be replaced.

eek! She's home! In my garage!

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the photos

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the blog
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
This is exactly why, if you are going to keep a BMW past the OEM warranty, you need an extended one that covers the electronics. Hopefully it is just a software glitch but if the NAV unit needs to be replaced and you were out of warranty you would be facing a bill probably in excess of 2 grand.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 03-27-2010, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
I have not tried this on an iDrive car, but it is the standard short-term fix on an X3 with NAV--a "battery re-boot".

1) turn light switch to off
2) use 10mm wrench to disconnect battery
3) wait 10 secs or so
4) reconnect battery
5) drive around the block as all warning systems reset themselves
6) reset clock.

This is a temporary fix. I eventually neeeded to have a faulty CD player replaced.

Hope this helps.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.

Last edited by b-y; 03-28-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: format & spelling to deal with iPhone "keyboard"
Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328cic and Mercedes
Thanks b-y.

I did a reboot, which didn't work that night really (changed the white screen to light grey) but by morning it had sorted itself out. Hope this doesn't happen again!

eek! She's home! In my garage!

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the photos

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the blog
Old 03-28-2010, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Good to hear that all is well. After the first time, the X3 NAV and other systems started to lock up on a recurring basis. I had the dealer fix it the first time, but asked about "the battery re-boot" so I could fix it myself. It then happened a few more times. I wrote down the date and mileage for each, and at the next regular service I gave them the list. They called BMWUSA who walked them through a detailed diagnosis. It turned out the CD player was sending odd signals on the "entertainment" buss. The dealer swapped in a rebuilt CD player and all was well.

Two hints: (1) I bought an insulated 10mm wrench sold for side terminal batteries. It works well on the BMW batteries and prevents sparks. I keep it in the car. (2) Take advantage of the situation...tell your friends and colleagues about your car that needs to be re-booted on a regular basis.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.