Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
Try the reset sequence. Push and hold the sunroof button, after some seconds the sequence should start and the liner should open. Once this is solved you can start with the manual operation for closing the rear panel as mentioned above.
By the way I finally performed the permanent modification of the sunroof in my X3. The sunroof works perfectly fine. The rear panel has been set not to open anymore. Problem solved without spending top USD.
Ciao !
Martin
Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5333 View Post
Try the reset sequence. Push and hold the sunroof button, after some seconds the sequence should start and the liner should open. Once this is solved you can start with the manual operation for closing the rear panel as mentioned above.
By the way I finally performed the permanent modification of the sunroof in my X3. The sunroof works perfectly fine. The rear panel has been set not to open anymore. Problem solved without spending top USD.
Ciao !
Martin
Thanks for the reply. I'll try tonight on the vehicle --- it's my wife's.

Right now, both panels are stuck in vent. I have tried to manually close them. However, the rear one is stuck in almost closed position. The front one is more frustrating: the passenger side is not completely closed yet and the driver side has already started moving backwards, which obviously couldn't move further because of the still open rear panel.

I do need the roofliner to be totally out of way, so I could re-arrange things.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx-x3 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll try tonight on the vehicle --- it's my wife's.

Right now, both panels are stuck in vent. I have tried to manually close them. However, the rear one is stuck in almost closed position. The front one is more frustrating: the passenger side is not completely closed yet and the driver side has already started moving backwards, which obviously couldn't move further because of the still open rear panel.

I do need the roofliner to be totally out of way, so I could re-arrange things.

I'll let you know how it goes.
I did try the reset last night. After about 15 seconds, the panels were fully up in vent positions. (I couldn't see them because of the closed roofliner. However, I confirmed later after I completed the reset sequence.) After another 15 seconds, I heard some continued noises. It seemed to me that something was trying to engage. Unfortunately, nothing happened. Later, I noticed that the unevenness in the front panel was gone, which was good.

Then, I remembered seeing a couple of broken plastic pieces in the rear tracks and a possible missing T-25 screw on the rear panel. So, I guess the original owner tried messing with the sunroof and made some damages, which could explain why the roofliner would not open.

I disconnected the power to the motor and started manually closing the sunroof. The front panel closed, lowered, and slided backwards under the rear panel. When its backend reached the backend of the rear panel, I couldn't go further. So, I had a front panel half-opened, exposing the front half of the front roofliner from the top of the car. I could see some hooks from the top and wondered if I could unclip them to remove the roofliner. Obviously, I didn't dare trying.

Then, I started manually "opening" the sunroof. The front panel slided forward, reached the front, and leveled up. The rear panel had a lot of plays and I managed to arrange it to be almost closed with only a tiny gap in the back. Obviously, I'm concerned about water getting in. However, that's the best I could do right now.

Now, I only need to find a way to close the rear panel completely. I have looked at the instructions in this forum thread. I could only see two parts close to the front of the rear panel. They are right behind the T-25 screw mechanisms. I guess they are the carriages. However, they don't look like the ones in the instructions. I tried to push them using a screwdriver through the gap between the front and rear panels. Unfortunately, they refused to move. I guess I need to get a friend to help me push both parts at the same time.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM

Latest updates:

As I mentioned before, the roofliner would not move. So, I assumed that the roofliner mechanism was broken. With a roofliner always closed, there was no need for sunroof modification. Besides, I wouldn't be able to do the motification with the roofliner in the way. So, my goal was to close the rear panel completely.

I disconnected the switch to the motor to make sure that the sunroof button would not work. Then, I manually closed the front panel to the lowest position (before it started sliding). Since the gap between the panels was not big enough, I pulled the rear panel to the vent position and pulled it towards the rear end as far as possible. I inserted a long screwdriver between the front and rear panels and gently tapped the rear carridges towards the rear end using a hammer. After that, I manually "opened" the front panel to the closed, level position and put the rear panel to the closed, level position with my hands.

Before this vehicle, we hadn't owned a vehicle without a moonroof for years since we love to have some natural light in our cars during Portland's rainy and gloomy winter. Now, my wife has to live with a BMW without a moonroof. :-(
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
Just need to post a thank you to all for the great tech info in this post. I just had a pano sun roof failure this morning, fiddling around in the dark trying to turn on the interior lights for some stupid reason and hitting the sunroof control instead. Never even recalled the rear portion of the sunroof having opened before, actually thought it was permanently fixed in position as built. Of course it opened this morning, as I was driving home in the first snow, wtih another foot possible Saturday when we are travelling in the X3... But thanks to this post I got the sunroof closed again!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 PM

Today, I opened the lift gate, pulled down the bottom of the roof, and saw another disconnected connector. The dealer must have disconnected both connectors for the original owner. After connecting this connector and the one behind the sunroof switch, I was able to slide the roofliner open!

However, when I tried modification, I learned that the front panel wouldn't slide open completely. It was stopped in the middle and would start sliding back. It seems that there are some serious damages under the rear panel. I have taken two pictures, showing bent metal, which probably prevents the front panel from sliding further. The two screws for the rear panels are missing too. Later, I'll see if I could do the modification with the front panel half open. I disconnected the connector behind the sunroof switch, hoping the rear connector was all I need to move the roofliner. Unfortunately, I learned that I need both connectors to operate the roofliner. Right now, I have both panels closed and a fully opened roofliner to let natural light in.

Rear panel (Driver Side)

Rear panel (Passenger Side)

Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328xi
Smile 2005 X3 sunroof stuck open in vent position

Add me to the list of people that have had the panoramic sunroof on his 2005 X3 stick in the vent position. The BMW customer service was no help since it was out of warranty and the local BMW dealer said the casette needed to be replaced at a cost of $5,500. I took it to a local shop that works on BMWs and they said the same thing and quoted a price of $3,400. I found the post by FHODD and mlukas161 about making the back panel inoperative. The local shop did it for $330 and it worked like a charm. Everything works except the back panel. The cover slids, front opens in vent, and front fully opens great. I think the local shop (Just BMW) was as happy as I was because they now have another option to offer their customers. Just wanted to say thanks to FHODD and mlukas161 for posting the instructions.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: X3 635 535 740il
Your Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by W E Phillips View Post
Add me to the list of people that have had the panoramic sunroof on his 2005 X3 stick in the vent position. The BMW customer service was no help since it was out of warranty and the local BMW dealer said the casette needed to be replaced at a cost of $5,500. I took it to a local shop that works on BMWs and they said the same thing and quoted a price of $3,400. I found the post by FHODD and mlukas161 about making the back panel inoperative. The local shop did it for $330 and it worked like a charm. Everything works except the back panel. The cover slids, front opens in vent, and front fully opens great. I think the local shop (Just BMW) was as happy as I was because they now have another option to offer their customers. Just wanted to say thanks to FHODD and mlukas161 for posting the instructions.
TI having the same problem could give me the number of your shop . Tell me what they did would be helpful Thanks RW
Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328xi
X3 Sunroof stuck in vent

The shop that did my repair in Cincinnati was Just BMW. Their number is 513-318-8006. If you look at previous posts in the expanded mode you will find a document that explains the process. Just BMW will also have the information.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: X3 635 535 740il
Mr. Phillips

Thank you for your prompt respond I will take this information to my BMW to see what they will do.

RW
Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by W E Phillips View Post
I'm glad everything worked out! This forum is a great resource for information. Just as another suggestion, after I was able to get the sunroof closed I pulled the fuse that controls the sunroof. That way if I loan someone the X3 there's no way it'll happen again.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Cost Update

Same issue in my 2003 X3. To replace track "cassette" (thier term not mine) using my glass, $3250; entire new roof, $4200. Close it up and disable $250.

Easy choice. Second BMW and the quality is abysmal, cost of repair unaffordable. Lease-worthy vehicles only.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E39 M5
Thanks for all of the information in this thread - very helpful! I understand the weakness is in the rear panel that tilts up. However, can someone clarify one point for me?

I'm considering a used X3. If the entire sunroof *currently* functions OK (rear panel had previously stuck open in vent position and has been repaired) and I were to avoid using the tilt/vent function and instead ONLY use the switch to slide open and close the main front panel, would I significantly minimize the chances of having additional problems? Or, am I missing something in understanding how this dual panel roof functions?

I understand that the better options are to 1) never use the sunroof, or 2) perform the modification discussed in this thread; however, in reading this it occurred to me that just not using the tilt/vent function might be a good interim solution.

Thanks for any clarification.

Jim
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP 99300 View Post
Thanks for all of the information in this thread - very helpful! I understand the weakness is in the rear panel that tilts up. However, can someone clarify one point for me?

I'm considering a used X3. If the entire sunroof *currently* functions OK (rear panel had previously stuck open in vent position and has been repaired) and I were to avoid using the tilt/vent function and instead ONLY use the switch to slide open and close the main front panel, would I significantly minimize the chances of having additional problems? Or, am I missing something in understanding how this dual panel roof functions?

I understand that the better options are to 1) never use the sunroof, or 2) perform the modification discussed in this thread; however, in reading this it occurred to me that just not using the tilt/vent function might be a good interim solution.

Jim
The problem usually is related to the tilt/vent position of the rear panel, not being able to shut down. If you use it only to slide open and close I don`t think you`ll experience problems of this kind.
Anyhow why should I have a vehicle with a sunroof and not enjoy it? that answers your question 1)
2) you could modify the system but why should you do it if it`s working fine now?
I use very often the tilt position even more than the full opened roof, anyhow if it works fine it might fail some day, till then I would use it as pleased. if afterwards you have a problem you already know that there is an unexpensive way to solve the issue and modify the system in order to still enjoy your sunroof in spite of the rear panel anomally. I modified mine over a year ago and haven`t had a problems since.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by Martin5333; 11-21-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E39 M5
Thanks, Martin. I agree -- what is the point in having a nice big sunroof if you can never open it? I have the panorama roof on my MINI S, which I use all the time. So I don't think I'll be the best candidate for the "just don't use it" school of thought. But I understand that thinking when you look at those ridiculous repair costs.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 AM

Old 11-22-2011, 05:46 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP 99300 View Post

Jim
For some reason, this is another hit or miss situation, either you have a good sunroof or you don't.
In my case and until now, I have a good one. I use it all the time-all positions, tilt, convenience, full open, and I have never had a problem with it. I would say use it normally and if it fails, get it sealed, and enjoy a big glass-roof.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
I am new to bimmerfest.. What a great forum.
I've had my 2004 since brand new - my first new car! I've loved it from day one. However this year I'm really disappointed in it. About 3 months ago had to replace the valve cover $500. Not a really big deal, first time I've had to put much money into it. Last week backing out of the driveway and heard a horrible noise and it drove really weird. Took it to my local repair shop (good place, trust them) and they diagnosed a transfer case problem. First they tried to isolate whether it was the motor on the transfer case and disconnected battery. When they tried to initialize after plugging the battery back in the sunroof was stuck open. There is a plastic part stuck. A used sunroof will cost $1600 and a new one from the dealer is $2100. The cost to replace the transfer case is $3300.
I'm debating whether to keep it or trade it in at this point. Am going to do the transfer case repair, but am going to hold off on the sunroof.

Thank you to everyone who posted comments about these two issues. Reading them helped me to feel more informed about these problems: neither of which should be happening on a 7 year old x3 with only 70,000 miles!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jckinwoodland View Post
I am new to bimmerfest.. What a great forum.
I've had my 2004 since brand new - my first new car! I've loved it from day one. However this year I'm really disappointed in it. About 3 months ago had to replace the valve cover $500. Not a really big deal, first time I've had to put much money into it. Last week backing out of the driveway and heard a horrible noise and it drove really weird. Took it to my local repair shop (good place, trust them) and they diagnosed a transfer case problem. First they tried to isolate whether it was the motor on the transfer case and disconnected battery. When they tried to initialize after plugging the battery back in the sunroof was stuck open. There is a plastic part stuck. A used sunroof will cost $1600 and a new one from the dealer is $2100. The cost to replace the transfer case is $3300.
I'm debating whether to keep it or trade it in at this point. Am going to do the transfer case repair, but am going to hold off on the sunroof.

Thank you to everyone who posted comments about these two issues. Reading them helped me to feel more informed about these problems: neither of which should be happening on a 7 year old x3 with only 70,000 miles!
did you ever change the Transfer case fluid?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x3 2.5
Quote:
did you ever change the Transfer case fluid?

THAT was my question Martin! Plus, ontop of that-- you haven't had any other major problems with the 04' x3 UNTIL this point? what has been your maintenance record thus far? Taking it in every 6,000 for regular oil change and other fluid changes? I'd like to know how you got THIS far without any major repairs! As mine is also an 04' x3 2.5, and it's already got 94,000 miles on it and i bought it at 92,000 miles! I know i really rack up the miles per year-- so, i want to keep an eye on EVERYTHING...
Let me know~
Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
I myself didn't. Is it a part of regular maintenance? If so then it's been done as it has been regularly maintained. I never learned car repair (but I did change the oil once on my 78 Toyota pickup while 6 months pregnant just to give it a go, after that decided to leave it to my husband...). My point is that as a non mechanic I shouldn't be expected to have to know about such specifics. I should be able to take my car in for regular service and expect that my mechanic knows to change the transfer case fluid.
Geez, I thought this was a friendly forum!
I still maintain my position that these things should not have happened at 70000 miles to a car of such high quality
Old 11-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganApril View Post
THAT was my question Martin! Plus, ontop of that-- you haven't had any other major problems with the 04' x3 UNTIL this point? what has been your maintenance record thus far? Taking it in every 6,000 for regular oil change and other fluid changes? I'd like to know how you got THIS far without any major repairs! As mine is also an 04' x3 2.5, and it's already got 94,000 miles on it and i bought it at 92,000 miles! I know i really rack up the miles per year-- so, i want to keep an eye on EVERYTHING...
Let me know~
I changad the TC fluid and haven't had any more shudders or jerking problems TG. I had the vent roof stuck open but performed the modifications and with the main panel fully functional no more problems...
Regular oil change every 6k miles together with the air filter. Changad all four wheels after 50k miles. Changed spark plugs after 40k miles.... For now no major issues other than the moonroof failure. I have currently 56 k miles on my x3.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Sun roof

Quote:
FHODD
Mein auto: BMW 525i Executive E61
View My Garage

Rear Sunroof issue: fix it yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With my 5 series touring E61 I had the same issue and I modified my roof myself.
The roof mechanisms for the 5 series and X3 and X5 are practically the same.

With attached instructions you can lower the rear roof and then choose to do the modification.

Regards
Attached Files Sunroof repair TFH_v2.pdf (282.2 KB, 40 views)

Well guys, thanks to our fellow from Netherlands up here with his post of last November ; I followed the instructions in order to shut the rear panel of the sunroof. Im forwarding the attachment once again. It was extremely useful for me.
Anyhow I would add to the procedure that you first need to be sure that the front panel of the sunroof is partially closed (always talking of the vent position) in order to be able to shut the rear panel. This needs to be performed manually with the allen tool.
Bottom line, in order to shut the rear panel, you first must partially close the front panel manually, secondly turn to the rear panel from the inside of the vehicle and push backwards the item 6 indicated in the file attached as much as you can ( both sides of the panel of course); follow this two steps again ( two or three sequences should be enough) until the rear and front panel are completely shut.
From there on just decide what would you like to do with the sunroof; pay top dollar to get it fixed if you ran out of a warranty, modify the system and block out the rear panel (It is a DIY task, as detailed in the attachment) or just keep your fingers off the push up button to engage the vent position!!!
Thanks FHODD and mlukas161

You absolute ledge mate

I have been trying to sort this problem out for ages and your PDF instructions were easy to read and straight forward to follow. I did it in about 10 minutes

YOU ARE A SUPERSTAR.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Hasn't Anyone Told You Guys

Do not, ever open your sunroof once you are out of warranty. They are notorious for failing, especially the tilt function as the plastic fingers break off which get in the track and tear up a bunch of other stuff. They are horribly expensive to repair at the dealer. Someone who is very tedious and detailed can fix it very reasonably as the individual parts are not that expensive, it is just a time consuming task.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Wow, my X3 is an anomaly. I open, close, tilt the original moonroof without a second thought pretty frequently. No funny noises or signs of failure......*knock on wood*. Posts like this make me realise how lucky I have been.